What will differentiate a Military Capital Ship from a Civilian Capital Ship?

Amos.37

Veteran endo
First off, I know this is still an in development feature subject to change and that we have been given very little specific information on the mechanics.

With that out of the way...

What we do know is that Capital ships will be classified based on size and whether they are Military or Civilian in use, and that they will have a safe zone around them.

A number of people have been expressing concern over the fact that civilian cap ships can become indestructible, mobile platforms for pirates and griefers.
Military cap ships can be attacked by similar sized (or larger, I think) military ships but civilian cap ships cannot be attacked.

So the question becomes, what determines whether a cap ship is designated military or civilian?

I think it goes without saying that it should be more than a switch the player can pull to change the designation. Whether a ship is military or civilian in purpose should and probably will need to be decided on construction.

Another fairly obvious decider will be whether the ship itself is armed. As civilian ships cannot be attacked, it seems fair that a civilian cap ship should be completely unarmed, whereas a military cap ship might have weapons for the purpose of firing upon stations and other cap ships.

The big issue as far as I can see is carrying capability and capacity. Cap ships are essentially mobile bases, and will be used for storing, moving and probably producing ships and fighters. How exactly ships are stored in cap ships is yet to be shown, but presumably it will involve more than just flying the small ship into the cap ship. Some sort of permission will be needed to link the ships so that on travel, the smaller ship is not left behind.

I think this provides a regulator of sorts for what sort of ships will be allowed to dock with cap ships.
Civilian ships may only be allowed to store unarmed ships, or more ideally, a very limited number of armed ships, while military ships will have no limit on the number of armed ships allowed to dock.
This will in some way prevent civilian cap ships being used as indestructible battle carriers.

I'm sure that players will try to find ways around this, maybe storing ships and armament separately and attaching them only before a fight. But even this means that launching a fighter from a civilian ship will be time consuming. This way, players trying to use civilian cap ships for combat will be handicapped, and encouraged to just use military cap ships, which means that they are no longer completely untouchable.

What do people think?
What are some ways to prevent players using civilian ships for military purposes?
Should it even be prevented? (Insert hardcore pvp opinion: "Everything and everyone is fair game")

Cavilier210

Master endo
Well... what I read is that civilian capital ships can be used for military purposes, but that they'll be hindered somehow. So I don't think we'll be seeing a ban on them being used this way.

Honestly, this comes back to a debate and problem that arose earlier in development when the devs said that military and civilian ships will be differentiated, but they, and we, have had a rather hard time making a clear cut distinction that sounds workable.

Let's take a look at the real world. Troop transports are military ships. Cruise ships are not. However, cruise ships have historically been used to ferry troops. Freighters carry everything for military or civilian use, many times at the same time. It gets even muddier if we go back even further to where privateers were a thing, where a civilian ship was a viable combatant. Its a very hard thing.

Honestly, perhaps giving up on the differentiation is best. An enemies logistics should be a viable target. Messing up an enemies logistics is more powerful of a tactic than messing up a city. Its has consequences that are much further reaching. If the devs do want a PvP centric game, I think they need to give up on trying to institute all of these mechanics to save people from having to deal with danger. Hell, just going out 50 km into the belt is protection enough often times. In 11 months or so we've had closed alpha, I've ran into people twice in the belt, and only one of them was a ship.

We have a good basis for a great PvP game where the environment and mechanics are not all that punishing to the PvE centric player who likes to mine and ferry. Its not like Eve where they can follow you through 50 systems and hunt you down with a scanner. Even when we get scanners, they won't work anything like eve's I'm sure. You won't be an easy target here, and I don't see why others don't see that here.

Hunter

Active endo
I could be mistaken, but I'm certain that military and civilian capital ships can and can't warp to different areas.