PTU Update 17 August 2021 (PTU Build 556)

KaiFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
PTU Update 17 August 2021 (PTU Build 556)
Patch type: Minor

Check out more info on PTU in this thread.

Known Issues

• Material shop sell confirmation window may warn about irrelevant contents
    • For example it may warn about selling equipment when selling ores
Tripods
  • Added power consumption via resource bridge to Tripod Autocannon
  • Reduced Tripod Autocannon Projectile Energy from 310 to 217
  • Reduced Long Rifle Projectile Energy from 264 to 224
  • Tripod Autocannon electricity consumption set to 270 electricity per shot

Sell Panel
  • Added sell confirmation pop-up to sell terminals
  • Fixed material sell terminal selling all ores instead of filtered ones when using filter
Factories
  • Prevented deleting factory areas unless they are fully loaded
  • Fixed potential crash when bolting objects to factory halls
Public Test Universe
  • Enabled free ores and tools in the Public Test Universe

MyrddinE

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Excellent! Loading up the PTU now.

I'm happy that we have an electricity cost to autocannons, they were tuned a little hot as far as capability and cost goes.

Here's a thought,

Make tripods only effective againts Endo and not ships. That way they can only be used as a defence against boarding or securing an area after boarding. Making tripods require a resource bridge seems kinda counter intuetive of having a delpoyable weapon. I dont know how difficult that would be to implement, but this is just a suggestion.

Lukas04

Active endo
Very happy with letting us spawn free ores within the PTU now, thanks a lot devs!
though preferably the PTU would still just be another instance of starbase in the steam library, instead of a beta you have to switch your main install to. With that and the option to spawn in ores now, testing would be quite quick and easy.

Here's a thought,

Make tripods only effective againts Endo and not ships. That way they can only be used as a defence against boarding or securing an area after boarding. Making tripods require a resource bridge seems kinda counter intuetive of having a delpoyable weapon. I dont know how difficult that would be to implement, but this is just a suggestion.
Dont see how a resource connection is counter intuetive. Its just something you press F on, then connect it to a resource bridge placed on the ship.
Its there to make sure that even ships using Tripods are designed to make use of them, not be something you just slap on everywhere.

Here's a thought,

The point of the mounted tripod autocannon is there to give a method of DPS thats not structurally connected to the ship. Giving the weapon energy requirements is ALL thats needed for it to be balanced. Player weapons are for Endo2Endo engagements mostly. Pointless to go this route

Kane Hart

Veteran endo
@LauriFB Would you be willing throw a copy of the PTU Client to the old Closed Alpha :p Or maybe see how hard it would to offer us a PTU Dedicated Client. I don't like upgrading / downgrading back and forth for testing sadly. I'm lazy and my Internet sucks haha.

Mur

IMO tripods should not be mountable on ships. They should be station / capital ship weapons.

cranky corvid

Well-known endo
Here's a thought,

IMO tripods should not be mountable on ships. They should be station / carrier weapons.
This is suggested a lot, but it amounts to removing multi-crew ships as a viable option for ship-to-ship combat. Closed alpha proved that mounting weapons on the turntable turrets is not good enough, as they suffer from hard-to-fix networking and physics issues.

Mur

This is suggested a lot, but it amounts to removing multi-crew ships as a viable option for ship-to-ship combat. Closed alpha proved that mounting weapons on the turntable turrets is not good enough, as they suffer from hard-to-fix networking and physics issues.
honestly i think multicrew ships could take a hit as already they are better than single crewed ships and giving them a gun with is accurate and already better than normal weapons seems op to me.

Could there be a ship version of the tripod and an infantry version of it that can't be mounted on ships? Keep the power requirement on the ship one, but get rid of the resource bridge, and give us a reason to use the sockets that were just updated to power panels.

In CA the tripods couldn't mount to stations, so make one that can mount to stations and planets, and one that mounts to ships.

Beef up ship plating, all of it. TTK is ridiculously fast. Bastium, etc, all just poof. Fights aren't fun b/c the victory is whoever gets the jump.
Tripod cannons ruin it more b/c you have FPS aiming vs a ship that has to align.

Tripods should not be mountable to anything with a MFC or FCU. They basically need to be removed from the game. There's literally no point and it's going to take a lot to balance it.

Currently, fights are too fast, Cannons are too agile, and it's just not fun. If you're trying to make a fun game, make combat the same for everyone. You want multicrew? Add the advanced turrets easier with scripts baked in for aiming (not as good as the autoconnans tho, be reasonable).

1) Autocannon dmg should be minuscule to plating reducing the TTK greatly. They should never be as fast TTK as a giant slug from a mounted cannon which you have to ship align or faster than torpedos and missiles. This makes no logical sense.
2) update plating armor and universally update all ship components to take more hits before exploding. TTK makes fights fun. Increase it.
3) Dynamic shields to ships will also be fun. Make these manageable via buttons. "100% power front shields" type stuff. Add complexity to fights.
4) Add complexity to fights, but don't add insta-kill lame stuff.

I personally don't pvp yet because it just seems boring with autocannons in the running vs mounted weapons. Literally dumb. You can't change my mind either b/c the experience of it is just unfun. It's like old counterstrike when the AWP 1-shot you in the toe.

Lukas04

Active endo
Beef up ship plating, all of it. TTK is ridiculously fast. Bastium, etc, all just poof. Fights aren't fun b/c the victory is whoever gets the jump.
Tripod cannons ruin it more b/c you have FPS aiming vs a ship that has to align.

Tripods should not be mountable to anything with a MFC or FCU. They basically need to be removed from the game. There's literally no point and it's going to take a lot to balance it.

Currently, fights are too fast, Cannons are too agile, and it's just not fun. If you're trying to make a fun game, make combat the same for everyone. You want multicrew? Add the advanced turrets easier with scripts baked in for aiming (not as good as the autoconnans tho, be reasonable).

1) Autocannon dmg should be minuscule to plating reducing the TTK greatly. They should never be as fast TTK as a giant slug from a mounted cannon which you have to ship align or faster than torpedos and missiles. This makes no logical sense.
2) update plating armor and universally update all ship components to take more hits before exploding. TTK makes fights fun. Increase it.
3) Dynamic shields to ships will also be fun. Make these manageable via buttons. "100% power front shields" type stuff. Add complexity to fights.

I personally don't pvp yet because it just seems boring with autocannons in the running vs mounted weapons. Literally dumb. You can't change my mind either b/c the experience of it is just unfun. It's like old counterstrike when the AWP 1-shot you in the toe.
Starbase is in a difficult spot for this. Whenever people want ships to survive longer, they complain that they cant see Voxel Damage anymore as much as advertised, and even slight buffs to armors even often cause fights to become very stale. Then if people want ships to be destructible a little quicker again it comes down to this.
Im sure they will find their balance at some point though, but yea, its not quite there yet.

Though its also worth to keep in mind that most people fly non-combat ships at the moment or light fighters.

cranky corvid

Well-known endo
honestly i think multicrew ships could take a hit as already they are better than single crewed ships and giving them a gun with is accurate and already better than normal weapons seems op to me.
People aren't using high-end fighters yet - they can pack a lot more firepower per player than a guy on a tripod does. People jumping miners for giggles isn't the real test of tripods' combat viability - when station sieges are added and factions start to pour resources into their warfleets, that meta may well look different.

I do think that the low price and mounting requirements for tripods (at least prior to today's patch) made piracy too low-stakes for the attacker, though.

Personally, I think that each voxel should have a number of hit points based on its material, instead of a number of hit points per object. This means that instead of a plate resisting until its HP were reduced to zero, each voxel would resist incoming damage, and would vanish if its damage was overcome.

For a 12cm Bastium plate, let's say that each 1cc voxel has 5 HP. A shot with an impact energy of 500 and a diameter of 2cm hits the plate. Each voxel hit removes 5 from the impact energy (4 to 9 voxels per layer of the plate, depending on just where it hits), and continues onwards to the next voxels. If the spherical shot hits in the middle of a voxel, the first layer removes 45 from the impact energy, or if the shot hits exactly at the junction of 4 voxels, 20 would be removed from the impact energy. The voxels would then be removed, and calculation would proceed to the next layer. When insufficient impact energy remains to equal or exceed the next voxel hit, the voxel removes the shot and remains unchanged.

For fracture damage, the impact energy could be considered to be able to break a number of voxels equal to its impact energy divided by the HP of the plate material.

In this way, armour would be ablative, and continue to provide protection even with missing voxels. Repeated shots along the same path could penetrate deeply, while scattered shots would simply strip away the top layers of armor.

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
Now that tripod lawnmowers should be patched out, we will regroup and see where the endgame leads. There's already a lot of fighter fight videos where the kill times are much longer, and also stories about ships surviving attacks when they have enough redundancy in their design.

I heard there's a war coming, so I'm hoping we would get some meta ship footage from there and see what the actual kill times are.

@LauriFB Would you be willing throw a copy of the PTU Client to the old Closed Alpha :p Or maybe see how hard it would to offer us a PTU Dedicated Client. I don't like upgrading / downgrading back and forth for testing sadly. I'm lazy and my Internet sucks haha.
yeah having to redownload the game every time you want to test something on the PTU is a bit annoying. I would rather install a dedicated PTU Client too.