resurect starbase

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLMNAG

Learned-to-sprint endo
- delete this fucking tech-tree (read the steam reviews)
- regenerate all the asteroids (read the steam reviews)
- delete half of the Origin stations (massive grouping needed)
- reduce craft time by 10 (read the steam reviews)
- reduce assembly costs by 2 (read the steam reviews)
- double the speed of broken durability and increased the amount of damage possible before reaching it
- reduce welding time by 4
- add fields of asteroids T10/12 visible at 500 Km by EVERYONE to encourage and give meaning to the PVP
- Reduce the ore costs of parts by 2 and weapons by 3.

ALL NEW PLAYERS MUST CHOOSE A PRIMARY COMPANY BETWEEN EMPIRE AND KINGDOM TO REDUCE THE CHANCE OF SAVAGE PVP BY 2 AND DEACTIVATE FRIENDLY FIRE !

If you continue to believe that simple fixes will bring back 9500 players, you are on a cloud.
there are currently 600 players (omg) , you can do "test"

This game has absolutely EVERYTHING to be a blockbuster, don’t let him die

The quality of steam reviews are questionable. You also shouldn't just cater to those who bail so easily.

Its also not about simple fixes. The devs are doing comprehensive fixes. Your list is a list of lazy and simple fixes.

FLMNAG

Learned-to-sprint endo
There are only 500 people left on this empty game and you always hold the same speech M Cavalier

There is no more debate, the current state of the game is a total failure.

They (the developers) need to make significant changes to metamorphose the gameplay NOW or admit that they were wrong not to listen to the whistleblowers (member of the Empire, famous shipbuilder, and other player with more than 500 hours played)
Community has been calling for this simplicity for several weeks.
THE GAME CAN BE RESURRECTED WITH SIMPLE VALUE CHANGES, WITHOUT YOUR STUPID MOON AND YOUR STUPID CAPITALS SHIP.
DEV LOSS TOO MUCH TIME TO FOLLOWING A ROADMAP THAT IS NO LONGER THE PRIORITY OF SURVIVAL OF THIS GAME, ALL PEOPLE LEAVE!!!
The economic values must be updated urgently so as not to lose the last players!

You will soon be alone and the servers will close for lack of means, take advantage of your "comprehensive fixes" :ROFLMAO:

You should be concerned about Steam reviews precisely, because it is the showcase of a game.
Especially on a fucking exclusive steam game;)

Attachments

J.D.

Veteran endo
in my own opinion, regenerating asteroids is kinda cheap. i mean, we might as well just make a room at origin where people walk in, and just grab what ore they want with that kind of thinking. seems the same concept to me.

I also disagree with turning off friendly fire, that also seems cheap. People just need coordinate, and aim.

and choosing kingdom, or empire is definitely an option, but i dont think it should be forced. I dont really want to join either one.

Dscript

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
- delete half of the Origin stations (massive grouping needed)
- reduce assembly costs by 2 (read the steam reviews)
- double the speed of broken durability and increased the amount of damage possible before reaching it
- reduce welding time by 4
- add fields of asteroids T10/12 visible at 500 Km by EVERYONE to encourage and give meaning to the PVP
- Reduce the ore costs of parts by 2 and weapons by 3.

ALL NEW PLAYERS MUST CHOOSE A PRIMARY COMPANY BETWEEN EMPIRE AND KINGDOM TO REDUCE THE CHANCE OF SAVAGE PVP BY 2 AND DEACTIVATE FRIENDLY FIRE !

If you continue to believe that simple fixes will bring back 9500 players, you are on a cloud.
there are currently 600 players (omg) , you can do "test"

This game has absolutely EVERYTHING to be a blockbuster, don’t let him die
These type of changes are meaningless until they finish a bunch more content

This is still an alpha game.. even if the changed the things you mentioned

Base building is bugged, easy build is bugged, blueprint sales system not implemented, lots of quality of life issues need to be worked on, war and siege not in yet.. only one moon has a belt, no moon mining or moon bases.. etc...

If you pay attention it is clear we are just the second wave of alpha testers. Those 9k players wont come back for quite a while.. and we dont want them To come back until it is much more developed.. in fact it may have been better if many of them never came.. because now a bunch of people have a bad impression

If anything the early access may have caused some damage by accidentally bringing in too many players who dont understand this is early access testing

It will still be a long time before a conversation like you mention is needed

The way I see it

There were many of us watching from the sidelines during closed alpha, hoping to be accepted into closed alpha but never getting lucky enough to win that entrance ticket

Early access is just a way we can all get in on alpha testing it now

Last edited:

J.D.

Veteran endo
These type of changes are meaningless until they finish a bunch more content

This is still an alpha game.. even if the changed the things you mentioned

Base building is bugged, easy build is bugged, blueprint sales system not implemented, lots of quality of life issues need to be worked on, war and siege not in yet.. only one moon has a belt, no moon mining or moon bases.. etc...

If you pay attention it is clear we are just the second wave of alpha testers. Those 9k players wont come back for quite a while.. and we dont want them To come back until it is much more developed.. in fact it may have been better if many of them never came.. because now a bunch of people have a bad impression

If anything the early access may have caused some damage by accidentally bringing in too many players who dont understand this is early access testing

It will still be a long time before a conversation like you mention is needed

The way I see it

There were many of us watching from the sidelines during closed alpha, hoping to be accepted into closed alpha but never getting lucky enough to win that entrance ticket

Early access is just a way we can all get in on alpha testing it now
I Don’t think it’s real wise to suggest that maybe the people who left shouldn’t come back. Because if they didn’t, this game won’t have a good sized player base. We aren’t just gonna poof in another 10k out of a hole somewhere. it would be cool if we did, but i doubt it. especially since its such a niche game. This is a huge ass space game. Having a grand or so players seems pretty empty to me. Other than that though, I agree. The game is pretty much still alpha. They ran out of time, and money to be able to continue developing behind the curtain. They needed funds from the community to continue their project from what I’m seeing. They would have put it off further if they were allowed that opportunity

Last edited:

Tomasz

Well-known endo
Changes suggested would not adress lack of content, thus not changing core issue.
Also Devs were told and acknowledged what problems have with no meaningfull PvP.
they have good idea what to do and have neat ideas about development, but they are doing stuff at sucvh low pace its never going to get where it needs.
Speed of PvP improvements is just is just non existant, thats the issue.
As for lack of players:
They haven't done any advertisements, so IF they get game to a more complete state advertisement will bing in alot of new players anyways becouse thay haven't even tapped into potential playerbase.

Dscript

I Don’t think it’s real wise to suggest that maybe the people who left shouldn’t come back. Because if they didn’t, this game won’t have a good sized player base. We aren’t just gonna poof in another 10k out of a hole somewhere. it would be cool if we did, but i doubt it. especially since its such a niche game. This is a huge ass space game. Having a grand or so players seems pretty empty to me. Other than that though, I agree. The game is pretty much still alpha. They ran out of time, and money to be able to continue developing behind the curtain. They needed funds from the community to continue their project from what I’m seeing. They would have put it off further if they were allowed that opportunity

Agreed

I was only pointing out that the cost/benefit of those 9k who joined is something like you pointed out

Ie.
They needed those signup to get a but of cash flow, prove to potential investors there is interest, etc

But from the sole perspective of those 9k players who came and left

Some are just on the sidelines waiting for capital shipsvand moon bases... these are fine

But some are potentially gone forever because of easy build bug and other bugs, or not seeming the potential of the game.... these it would have perhaps been better if they never cane.. because they may not give sb a second chance for first impression

And let's not forget that all games are in a lull for now because nw dropped and so many people are off playing that

This game is in __Early Access__. It is neither complete nor balanced.
Your changes would take away any meaningful grind, which can and will be avoided later on to quite some extent by features, which are not in game, yet. But they would take away meaningful progression and any achievement on that line. Those changes would actually hurt starbase. Badly.

If it is not fleshed out enough for you, well, then put it on the self, give it a year and visit it again. By then much more stuff should be in the game.
It will see more life as more features enter the game. The devs are really transparent, what they are doing. And if you don't want to spend time on those progress reports, just follow Kenetor on youtube. His progress report videos are really nice and quick to watch during breakfast or any break.
And Personally, I got such a long to-do list in game, I can hardly figure out where to start. Yet, I decided to take my time, with things. No hurry, just relax and enjoy.

OP has a point. You can dislike his suggestions, but he generally asks for cheaper ships, more materials per time mining and less time investment to craft parts. In other words: more accessability. Also it speaks volumes that you will find some requests in the steam - reviews over and over.
OPs suggestions shift spent game time from mining to flying around and doing stupid things. Things like pvp, exploration, or just crashing ships into asteroids because it looks funny. The things that make a sandbox appealing. Not all players have a lot of time to play.

I recently lost a middle - sized ship (jump core ship) and haven't bothered to play again since, because grinding the necessary materials to replace it will take about three hours (with a 160 crate safe-zone laser-mining ship). For some that's half a days playtime and no big deal, for others it may be half a weeks game time, and here things get critical.

It's a pretty easy concept: If you want people to throw ships at each other and enjoy it, too, ships must be easily replacable. The more value a ship has, the less a player will be willing to risk it, and the more likely the player will be to ragequit if they lose it. "Let them, the game is perfect as it is", some may say, but then we end up where we are now: next to no pvp and barely enough players to call this game alive, with falling numbers every week.
Yes, it is an alpha. But these are inherent design flaws which will not be eased by new content (unless said content adresses the issues). It would be reasonable to use buffs as a placeholder until the cool new content that makes everything better arrives.

Your changes would take away any meaningful grind, which can and will be avoided later on to quite some extent by features, which are not in game, yet. But they would take away meaningful progression and any achievement on that line. Those changes would actually hurt starbase. Badly.
Owning anything but a megaship should not be an achievement. Designing a functional, good ship and showing it off is an achievement. Performing well in pvp is an achievement. Exploring places where no one has been before is an achievement. Ships are just enablers. Meaningful progression is not getting a ship, but being able to success in tasks that get harder and harder. Fail in Elysium and you have to start over from origin again, which is bad enough. Having to mine for another three hours on top just to replace the lost ship so you can travel back is neither fun nor meaningful progression.

Last edited:

ChaosRifle

Veteran endo
this is what is keeping 15 people in my company going right now - completing it. Thats a bad idea, it would kill a lot of peoples completionist drive.
Why?? the only ones missing are T10 next to origin.. which is good for the economy that is in shambles right now.
I really dont see the need. I completed my basic tree in less than 24 hours. Worth mentioning that stations are intended to allow automated crafting too (though that is later). Crafting speed is already doubled by crafting in inventory and in station at the same time.
Reduce the ore costs of parts by 2 and weapons by 3
this has a knock-on effect of making all the items half the mass. We already have speed problems and this would make max speed even more attainable. IMHO the issue with speed is that it is too easy to acheive for any build. Weapons (ship+tripod) are really cheap already, if you craft them.
I am assuming you mean it will reduce PVP by half by to disable friendly fire and force a faction. I have sad news for you but PVP isnt happening because nobody is leaving the start zone anyways. Too many T10s in start zone.
ALL PEOPLE LEAVE!!!
Have you watched launches of games? a taper off of players is perfectly normal. You need the context of by how much is normal to know if it is actually alarming.

By the sounds of your post you want creative mode with no grind. I agree that PTU crafting should be next to instant, but the grind in live is what is keeping it alive.

CalenLoki

Master endo
this has a knock-on effect of making all the items half the mass. We already have speed problems and this would make max speed even more attainable. IMHO the issue with speed is that it is too easy to acheive for any build. Weapons (ship+tripod) are really cheap already, if you craft them.
That's not the case. Crafting cost is mostly detached from actual product mass and volume. There's just a lot of material loss in refining/printing.

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
Most of the issues are real and hurting the game at the moment. However, we are solving them the proper way, not with hot glue. Proper fixes take time.

In general, we will stick to the vision presented in the roadmap, as we believe that will lead to long-term success. In short term it sucks, as it seems the game is stuck without any real improvements. That, however, is not the case. Large, properly made features just take even more time.

For example next siege test should already address many of the discovered issues and have near-final damages to stations. These tests will be interesting, as the fighting will move to inside the stations too.

Geronimo553

Well-known endo
All I see FB do is look to the future. Without ever hearing or taking action to address all the many miss steps along the way. It does not matter what next big feature comes out. We all know it will work about 25% of what is expected and likely FB will quickly move onto the next big idea, as they do. Leaving endless issues for the player to contend with for how ever many months or years. FB will see fixing issues as low priority and move onto the next shiny "everyone will love it we know it" feature that also somehow takes away from the fun in some other aspect in the game.

For most players who have been around awhile. It's like watching FB jump from gimmick to gimmick attempting low effort solutions. Like watching some guy jump from one rags to riches idea into the next. Without ever investing long term into the process so it will grow. That is what it is like watching the game be developed from the outside. A game full of short cuts and gimmicks attempting to please everyone. Then ultimately satifying no one.

I've watched so many people fall in love with the idea of this game. Then sure enough, soon they all leave from the massive amount of headache this game gives people "for fun". Because playing starbase is like driving down a road of deep pot holes. Sure you can drive through it slowly. But eventually you are going to be late or end up with a flat tire. The player enthusiasm is like the car, poorly concerned about by its driver.

I wish the game was better. But the development direction has its blinders on towards anything except forward. The reviews hit and the initial long term invested players who wanted the game have left. That was your hype build up wave and there is only one of those for any game public debut. There is "no" second wave, lasting population growth for a content update; and it is no longer possible to build off the hype using the market snowball effect as a means for this game's success. Only leaving a difficult uphill battle pushing a boulder every step.

I strongly advise FB to form a QA board to address the numerous issues and FB's solutions. With a primary focus on owning up to mistakes and addressing the clear pattern of problems the steam reviews have outlined as issue for this game. This is the best way for FB to begin redemption in their market. Doing so will help regain the player/consumer trust in this product.

Caddrel

Most of the issues are real and hurting the game at the moment. However, we are solving them the proper way, not with hot glue. Proper fixes take time.

In general, we will stick to the vision presented in the roadmap, as we believe that will lead to long-term success. In short term it sucks, as it seems the game is stuck without any real improvements. That, however, is not the case. Large, properly made features just take even more time.

For example next siege test should already address many of the discovered issues and have near-final damages to stations. These tests will be interesting, as the fighting will move to inside the stations too.
Really looking forward to the next station siege test, the last two events were a lot of fun. I would like to put extra emphasis on what DemonicSanil said above, however.

It was quite striking how much fun the station sieges tests were, and being able to hop back in the fight with replacement ships on the second test made a big difference. However on the main server "replacement ships" wouldn't happen, as each ships represents a huge amount of time resource gathering (by whatever means). A three minute fight ended by an accidental collision, and you need to replace a 700k ship. That's a minimum of two hours to replace, for three minutes?

Bear in mind the vast majority of people playing this game haven't seen any of your Youtube videos. They have no idea how any of the ship components work. They don't know any the tools, how piping or cabling works, what YOLOL is, or even the basic controls. That's a big learning curve, and learning all that is an achievement and goal in itself.

Making that learning more difficult by having ship costs high, and making any "mistake" that much more critical...

If ship costs were a quarter of what they are now then a player could go back into a fight with four ships rather than just one, for the same amount of resource investment. Who exactly loses out from that?

That doesn't need to be a sticking plaster, that could be a permanent change in approach. Trying new things means making mistakes, and if making mistakes is punished rather than fun, then people just won't try new things.

OP has a point. You can dislike his suggestions, but he generally asks for cheaper ships, more materials per time mining and less time investment to craft parts. In other words: more accessibility.

OPs suggestions shift spent game time from mining to flying around and doing stupid things. Things like pvp, exploration, or just crashing ships into asteroids because it looks funny. The things that make a sandbox appealing. Not all players have a lot of time to play.

I recently lost a middle - sized ship (jump core ship) and haven't bothered to play again since, because grinding the necessary materials to replace it will take about three hours (with a 160 crate safe-zone laser-mining ship). For some that's half a days playtime and no big deal, for others it may be half a weeks game time, and here things get critical.

It's a pretty easy concept: If you want people to throw ships at each other and enjoy it, too, ships must be easily replaceable. The more value a ship has, the less a player will be willing to risk it, and the more likely the player will be to ragequit if they lose it.

Yes, it is an alpha. But these are inherent design flaws which will not be eased by new content (unless said content adresses the issues). It would be reasonable to use buffs as a placeholder until the cool new content that makes everything better arrives.

Owning anything but a megaship should not be an achievement. Designing a functional, good ship and showing it off is an achievement. Performing well in pvp is an achievement. Exploring places where no one has been before is an achievement. Ships are just enablers.

Meaningful progression is not getting a ship, but being able to success in tasks that get harder and harder. Fail in Elysium and you have to start over from origin again, which is bad enough. Having to mine for another three hours on top just to replace the lost ship so you can travel back is neither fun nor meaningful progression.

Last edited:
If ship costs were a quarter of what they are now then a player could go back into a fight with four ships rather than just one, for the same amount of resource investment. Who exactly loses out from that?
I cannot answer that for FB, but I certainly do know why it's done in Elite Dangerous. It's about player retention. They have an immense grind (I'm talking from experience) which bloats average playtime. That, on the other hand, is translated into bloated numbers that the company uses to attract investors and to please shareholders. Basically it's about money.

FLMNAG

Learned-to-sprint endo
I don’t understand why Cavalier, ChaosRifle and the developers are afraid of more accessibility.
If you can make warships 4 times easier your enemy too.
People leave because the ratio of production time/ combat time is catastrophic.

At least, this is what emerges from 80% of negative reviews of players.
Solo players leaves automatic while it is an MMO, there should be a place for them.
You answer a lot on behalf of your companies, but a lot of players do not want your companies.

Finally got around to making a forum account so I can reply to these threads

Firstly, the developers are following the roadmap. They have said, on multiple occasions, that they will not follow quick, easy, and ultimately destructive "fixes" that community members like OP suggest. Yes, they might help in the short term, but they're not how the developers see the final version of the game.

Secondly, the next few updates - which are right around the corner - will probably bring back a fair amount of the playerbase, though likely just until the content has been exhausted. And that's completely okay! Why? Because this game is still in the "hey look at this cool thing we made" phase rather than fleshed out titles such as Spengies. It's completely natural to have extreme highs and lows as the game goes through the development phases, and ultimately we'll see the playerbase plateau between content updates. This is also why the existing playerbase tells people who post playercounts in general-feedback and starbase-chat to shut up.

Thirdly, PvP should have inherent risk. Yeah, I know you tryhards love shooting people and absolutely hate grinding, but you're not just going to get your ships for free. If you want that, go to the PTU. Everything is free, community- and developer-run PvP events are starting to occur on a semi regular basis, plus you can have all the fun in the world without the risk that you have on live. Alternatively, join a company which can help you with obtaining the slightly rarer materials for a cheaper cost than the auction house.

Additionally, the negative reviews are not a concern to the developers. I can quote Lauri at least once stating that they do not care about the negative reviews, and that they will continue developing the game. They are, however, taking the worthwhile suggestions into account, but they will not implement randomly implement mechanics on the whim of the community just to have them removed later.

Lastly, PvP is already incredibly cheap - slap a tripod onto a basic box ship, grab a mate, and off you go. Sure, you might not be able to afford 'expensive', powerful weapons (Laser cannons, plasma cannons, rail cannons, missiles, torpedoes), but you can most definitely afford autocannons. Furthermore, we will see tripod versions of heavy weapons in the near future - tripod rail cannon, tripod laser cannon.

So please, for ****'s sake, actually think about your post before you send it.

I don’t understand why Cavalier, ChaosRifle and the developers are afraid of more accessibility.
If you can make warships 4 times easier your enemy too.
People leave because the ratio of production time/ combat time is catastrophic.

At least, this is what emerges from 80% of negative reviews of players.
Solo players leaves automatic while it is an MMO, there should be a place for them.
You answer a lot on behalf of your companies, but a lot of players do not want your companies.

I'm not afraid of accessibility. I'm tired of games designed for the lowest common denominator and companies taking gold and turning it to lead in their pursuit of casual gamers and accessibility. There are ways to do it that don't involve shoving systems down our throats that nmo one likes and only a couple people ever speak highly of. Like easy build modes. the EBM's are trash compared to what I can do in the SSC and what I could do in alpha for stations. You don't have to like it. The deal is, they've taken a unique and fun building experience and hacked their way into a lazy minecraft block building game "for accessibility" and "casual gamers".

FLMNAG

Learned-to-sprint endo
@The Wayfarer
"I do not in any way speak for FrozenByte. I am a random girl who plays Starbase, not an actual FB employee."

With a sentence like that, you are very impartial. Yes.
I haven’t even read your opinion, it’s like talking to a god fanatic
:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.