resurect starbase

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLMNAG

Learned-to-sprint endo
1634733210435.png

a game that remains 8 months / 1year under 1000 players disappears when you need servers to maintain it.
Remember this.

Don’t want to make the game content easier to access for an occasional player? It’s a choice.
But this choice will determine whether the project will succeed or not
After, I may be wrong, the arguments of the opposition are interesting, I look forward to see if the game is still here in 10 months .

wait and see

Last edited:
After, I may be wrong, the arguments of the opposition are interesting, I look forward to see if the game is still here in 10 months.
wait and see
Only thing we can do, I guess. This is why I constantly recommend to people who are burnt out or fed up with the bugs to just go play a different game for a while. Read the patch notes and progress notes every once in a while and then come back when the game is actually playable to their own standards.

In terms of the ship refunds and ship towing, I've typically had a response within 2 business days. Most often the people who complain about never being reimbursed have submitted their ticket in the wrong section (typically under bugs), have a ticket that is not in English, submitted the ticket in the hellish 2 weeks at launch, or have an unhelpful ticket (the message itself is illegible and/or the attached screenshot says nothing about the issue). They also don't realise that they can slide into a community manager's dms to follow up on a ticket (Say, if the community manager accidentally teleported the ship to the wrong station).

Right now I recommend Ori and the Blind Forest, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, and Minecraft (Curseforge Client), if anyone reading this wanted suggestions.
Both of the Ori titles are story-type games in a platformer setting. The art is beautiful and I really enjoyed them, even if it only took 20 hours to complete both of those titles.
In terms of Minecraft currently I'm enjoying Blightfall, Terrafirmacraft, and Hexxit, though the Crafting Dead remains a favourite.

Either way, I hope Starbase survives until 1.0. It's a great game and definitely worth the >400 hours I have.

(yes, I'm Australian, I spell words differently to you Americans)

Dscript

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
You gotta love how everytime people get a graph they think they are immediatly an expert in analysis and prediction

Graphs are and correlation is meaningless without the fundamentals knowledge and understanding specific to the data.. here that includes stiff like. The game is not full realease.. the delay of capital ships and moon bases, etc..

Every time I see people posting graphs nowadays it makes me want to visit SPURIOUS CORRELATIONS

https://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

10.png
2.png
5.png

Askannon

Veteran endo
You gotta love how everytime people get a graph they think they are immediatly an expert in analysis and prediction
I know some nice phrases regarding that:
1) Don't trust any statistic you haven't doctored yourself. (Traue keiner Statistik die du nicht selbst gefälscht hast)
2) He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp posts - for support rather than illumination. (Andrew Lang)

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
Yeah, I still read the forums :D

The doomsayer pattern seems to be that they want some immediate, cheap remedy which would maybe add a week more of playing for them, usually by burning a lot of remaining people with it, and then the game would be finally killed off for good. And if I dare to comment that no, we are doing it the proper way it attracts even more of those who have already given up to attack me and the players who dare to agree with the proper fixes.

Now I must kindly ask the doomsayers: please, stay civil or live up to your promises.

ChaosRifle

Veteran endo
The doomsayer pattern seems to be that they want some immediate, cheap remedy which would maybe add a week more of playing for them, usually by burning a lot of remaining people with it, and then the game would be finally killed off for good. And if I dare to comment that no, we are doing it the proper way it attracts even more of those who have already given up to attack me and the players who dare to agree with the proper fixes.
That does appear to sum it up quite accurately. You guys have been doing an amazing job full stop, and it still impresses me that anything works at all given how broken competition in the genre can be. So far you have made the competition in the genre look pretty bad, and I look forward to the Starbase when it has had as much time to grow as the pre-existing competition has now.

shado20

Veteran endo

Now I must kindly ask the doomsayers: please, stay civil or live up to your promises.
not being a doomsayer, but the game/vision in CA is 75% different than it is now.
you have some of the same things you clam to have but the mechanics and path your going to get to this is not the same.
my biggest complaint is stations!
stations are the backbone to this game and i believe you have completely derailed this concept.
with the CA stations we had a hard to build structure that has enormous power , presents, safe-zone, and looked cool, created community...
now we have space cube station and its small, everyone gets one, with safezone, looks like i'm playing minecraft, no one needs to talk to anyone (destroys community).
i thought this was an MMO i wanna play an MMO with others, against others, not a game with where we have others in game but we dont need to talk to each other...
we need capital ships to attack a station, ok but why would i play a game where i need a big bad ship to commit to attacking a spacecube...?
this alone will keep the larger players out of this game.
the larger players are what you need to build this game up to have loads of player made content.
but it looks like we will forever need FB to make stations and content for all the casual players left!

I may be critical of some of the things you guys do, and I try to explain my position well on those. But, even those of us critical to you guys still have faith in you to pull it off ;)

Dscript

Bracaster

Active endo
continues aggressive posting....

Continues agressive posting....

Ohhhhh... someone call the burn ward :ROFLMAO:

I love to see fb snap back.. even if it is a super polite snap back
I've never seen such a strange phenomenon. A player community and developer who encourage concerned patrons to leave, when participation is in serious decline. Not a healthy postilion to convey, or in Dscript POV, to seemingly celebrate. It is literally self destructive in terms of positive influence and projects a very poor image upon the observer or potential participant of this game.

I thought i'd check back (been more than a month) in to see how things are progressing here. Not encouraging to say the very least. I'm nearly certain that even this response will be met with some sort of denigrating remark. I'm guessing i'm not wanted here either.

@LauriFB - We are not "doomsayers" because we make suggestions or point to declining numbers. Ignoring or casting disregard in this way also reflects very poorly upon your means of management and public relations.

Dscript

I've never seen such a strange phenomenon. A player community and developer who encourage concerned patrons to leave, when participation is in serious decline. Not a healthy postilion to convey, or in Dscript POV, to seemingly celebrate. It is literally self destructive in terms of positive influence and projects a very poor image upon the observer or potential participant of this game.

I thought i'd check back (been more than a month) in to see how things are progressing here. Not encouraging to say the very least. I'm nearly certain that even this response will be met with some sort of denigrating remark. I'm guessing i'm not wanted here either.

@LauriFB - We are not "doomsayers" because we make suggestions or point to declining numbers. Ignoring or casting disregard in this way also reflects very poorly upon your means of management and public relations.
You need to read the thread and take his attitude into context.

He was going ad hominem, being rude and going on the attack.

The topic was not the issue, it was everything else.

If you want to debate and discuss that's one thing.. But throwing and tantrum and getting angry and agressive is another

Arguing the game should change, or even that it has fundamental flaws, if civil, is fine in my books...

A toxic and agressive doomsayer who pushes discussion to devolve into flame wars is another thing entirely

Oh, your suggestions are fine :D but as soon as you (maybe not you specifically, but the wider group of people Lauri is referring to) start attacking FB and the parts of the community in support of FB because they do not want to implement your short term fixes - which we have told you, time and time again, that they will not be implemented - then you've definitely crossed the line.

Additionally, we do encourage people to stop playing if they're fed up with the game - but tell them to keep an eye on the progress notes and update patches. This game is only an Alpha, we're not expecting everyone to immediately become a long term player. Thus, again, we recommend them to leave until the game improves. FB's updates have the long-term future of the game in mind, they're not focusing on futile, ultimately pointless fixes to maybe gain back a hundred players only to have them leave in a week.

blazemonger

Veteran endo

I agree with the points you raise. I also see immediate responses that basically just show many do not understand what happens during Alpha stage game development. And if I am very honest, I can't blame anyone for those responses and do believe that Frozenbyte burnt their fingers on this one.

I get that at this stage we see many incomplete pieces, I also understand that at this stage you may, at any time, bring in or remove some of those and in the process break the game. All that is fully to be expected during Alpha stages of development. While FB is clearly aware and is clearly set to follow their plan and path (which I really appreciate and agree with), by going public FB also has to some extent volunteered to develop with handcuffs on, what normally would be expected and what may provide a path to fast progress and trial/error, becomes much harder to do once you have people playing the game.

You did not allow people to come in on your terms as "backers" you allowed people to pay money to play the game. And that, as I see it, may have been a massive mistake and cause a lot of problems/headaches. To me, it feels that FB, in a very naive mindset, expected their disclaimers and clear indicators of the state of development to set the right expectations. That turned out to be a very predictable mistake.

I trust FB will deliver the game (and if they do not, I for one will not lose any sleep over it), I certainly do not have the feeling that there is panic or that there are problems that are insurmountable. There was a massive miscalculation on the results of opening up the game and I believe that the time needed to fix some issues that came from that have thrown off the roadmap by quite a bit.

Overall, I'd say if by this time next year, we are still in the same situation then sure, there is cause for concern. As it stands though, I'd much rather see the player base take a step back and give FB some room to deliver. One thing I would like to see is a proper update to the roadmap, no massively detailed one, but a rough outline of how FB thinks the game will progress in development over the next 12 months. With the "launch" problems hopefully all behind them, that outline should be fairly clear.

Venombrew

Master endo
Thus, again, we recommend them to leave until the game improves. FB's updates have the long-term future of the game in mind, they're not focusing on futile, ultimately pointless fixes to maybe gain back a hundred players only to have them leave in a week.
couldn't agree more, most of these requests and pissing contests are over improvements on an alpha game as if they paid for a finished game. if you bought Starbase 1.0 and it was like it is now, 100% reason to complain, but thats not what happened here. you bought in on a game to test its development stages, thats it. so when people got these "improvements", they are so quick to look for a pat on the head cause they think these ideas are ground breaking but fail to realize how can you implement so many changes to a developing game when the very core itself is still being worked on? people want this, people think the game really needs this and then you hear, "im not coming back game is trash, etc, etc, etc", but you know what those player looking for the long term version of the game really want first before all the bells and whistles? STABILITY!

and as for decrease in numbers you see in other posts? DUH! its alpha testing, as the game is being designed, people are going to leave and come back as it DEVELOPES. Those player statistics are only important on a finished game, not one that still has at least 2 years to go before even consider releasing the 1.0 version, which by the way is what you call a finished game. so really what makes arguing over features that really don't matter at this stage of this early, early, early, development? makes me wonder if people even read what they buy before they buy it or is it just pure narcissism of wanting something now your way and then threatening if you can't have it? when a company has a suggestion page, doesn't mean they have to listen, least they give you an option to say something. as for, "well if you don;t listen to players they will leave, no players no game", ya blizzard has heard those threats for over 2 decades, they still here.

*FS*

Well-known endo
continues aggressive posting....

Continues agressive posting....

Ohhhhh... someone call the burn ward :ROFLMAO:

I love to see fb snap back.. even if it is a super polite snap back

Best post out of this whole mess LMAO Love it.

Jakaal

Active endo
To be honest, I agree with you but with a few remarks.

First of all, devs HAVE to follow their road map. I mean it's just a reality that they will do that, but also it's a logical way to develop their game. Team is not that big, so switching the focus from big things to minor is not that great of an idea.

Secondly, sooner or later they HAVE to do these minor fixes, which will improve game feeling for sure. There are no secrets that some mechanics are just not good, but as I've said the main focus should be done on big things, not on a minor.
To a point yes, but if the road map is leading into a dead game, maybe it's time to look at doing something else? because honestly no one I know that played this game thinks any of the up coming stuff on the road map is going to address the core issues of the game. It's slow and boring and it takes way to long to build things that you can lose way to fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.