Electrical and Piping

SubtleSloth

Well-known endo
First off, I am already in love with this game, and it’s not even out yet. I have Sooooo many questions and recommendations and I think this is where I am going to start.

If you haven’t already thought about it, is it possible to make holes in the armor plates for conduit and piping to run through instead of just not having a plate where you want to run your power lines and piping through? I’m assuming you could just laser cut a hole in the plate, but that would sacrifice some armor hit points or whatever you wanna call it, wouldn’t it?

Maybe add junction boxes for the electrical conduit? Armor plates with them already installed in multiple orientations, along with piping flanges that go through the walls?

Are you thinking pre-fabricated armor plating to go onto the frame that sacrifices armor rating for the utility of having its own piping pre-installed?
Neat idea.

dusty

A device called the socket exists for this purpose, actually. It allows you to get wiring (potentially piping?) through plating without needing to damage it.

SubtleSloth

Well-known endo
@Gibberish_Name I wasn’t really thinking of sacrificing armor rating, but if you already don’t have an armor plate there to begin with, then you would still have more armor rating than not having a block if there was one that existed with prefabbed junction boxes/piping flanges installed. As long as they didn’t completely get rid of the armor aspect of that plate, you could have the best of both worlds, armor, and pretty piping/electrical systems for the OCD maintenance guys like me 😂

@Dusty Oh? Hmmm, will have to look into it and see how it works! If that’s the case though, socket sounds more like an electrical thing than piping lol. Either way, if it makes my systems not look like a gorilla installed them with a hammer, I’m good with that 😁

Verbatos

Veteran endo
A device called the socket exists for this purpose, actually. It allows you to get wiring (potentially piping?) through plating without needing to damage it.
Which video was the socket in again? I don't remember it and I can't find it on the wiki.

Amos.37

Veteran endo
There was also a feature video where they showed hollowing out a framework piece with the laser cutter and running a wire through it. One of the Boltcracker eps I think.
I imagine that would weaken the piece though.

dusty

I don't think it's been highlighted specifically in any video, but you can see them in the cargo and transportation videos, as well as the spaceship video.

1581053413307.png

It's there in the bottom right.

SubtleSloth

Well-known endo
@Amos.37 that is what I was figuring as well. If you are hollowing out a piece, it’s gotta weaken it structurally, right? Hence, where the pieces I want to see would come in. Instead of either hollowing out a section or removing it completely, just have a plate with already installed conduit/piping connections that run through the wall to either the other side, instead of just NOT having a piece of armor there.

@Dusty thanks for the visual bud. Not sure the socket is going to do what I want now that I see it. It honestly just looks like a socket like you have in your house to plug stuff in. I’m looking for more of a through way for walls and floors to get to the other side (the wall of another room in the ship or ceiling to the deck below). So that you aren’t just leaving completely unarmored holes where conduit and piping are running.

CalenLoki

Master endo
@Amos.37 that is what I was figuring as well. If you are hollowing out a piece, it’s gotta weaken it structurally, right? Hence, where the pieces I want to see would come in. Instead of either hollowing out a section or removing it completely, just have a plate with already installed conduit/piping connections that run through the wall to either the other side, instead of just NOT having a piece of armor there.

@Dusty thanks for the visual bud. Not sure the socket is going to do what I want now that I see it. It honestly just looks like a socket like you have in your house to plug stuff in. I’m looking for more of a through way for walls and floors to get to the other side (the wall of another room in the ship or ceiling to the deck below). So that you aren’t just leaving completely unarmored holes where conduit and piping are running.
The picture Dusty posted is different kind of socket, meant for powering touching buttons, levers and displays.

But there is also kind that allows going through beams and plates to tge other side.

SubtleSloth

Well-known endo
@CalenLoki well, thanks man! That’s what I was looking for! Does it also work for piping? Or is there a piping equivalent? Where can I find the info you are seeing on this? I’ve looked on the wiki, and I don’t see anything about sockets going through walls. I know the wiki isn’t complete, but is there a better place to look for info?

Last edited:

SubtleSloth

Well-known endo
Found it :D the caption they put is "Boltable socket, used to get electric wires and pipes through plating". I wonder if you will need a second one on the other side? Or if it will just stick the wire or pipe out the other end? Thanks again @CalenLoki!

dusty

Whoops! I knew it existed, but I couldn't find the scene I was looking for (which was the scene you ended up finding).

SubtleSloth

Well-known endo
@Dusty thanks for at least trying bud! Can’t wait to get into this game...haven’t played an MMO in so long, but the fact that this is everything I’ve been looking for, even before it’s out, has completely persuaded me!