A question about "local power" on weapons.

Foraven

Veteran endo
Isn't that supposed to be the weapon's dedicated battery? However, as far as I can tell ship weapons barely draw from it and instead drain the ship's batteries. Why aren't ship weapon use that buffer instead of draining the ship batteries?

ChaosRifle

Veteran endo
This is because local power for devices, including rail capacitors, have an insane maximum power draw rate, and if there is power in the ship, they fill it. For this reason, there is really no point using the capacitors on anything that is not mission critical, because its just a dedicated battery to that device, that can't be drained by other parts.

So, yes, there is! And yes, its pointless, because we can't control device power priorities so using these internal power containers only helps when the ship is empty.

ChaosRifle

Veteran endo
I look at it as backup power for when a line gets severed.
.. But power and data go over the same line, so if that line is severed you can't fire, and even if you could its a few shots at most, and passive draw drains what is left in seconds???

.. But power and data go over the same line, so if that line is severed you can't fire, and even if you could its a few shots at most, and passive draw drains what is left in seconds???
Data and power can go over the same line. They don't have to.

Foraven

Veteran endo
I look at it as backup power for when a line gets severed.
Doesn't work though, the gun won't fire if it's not constantly fed power from the network as it's power upkeep is drained from ship batteries, not it's stored power.