About the release date(not psychological pressure words

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantin

Well-known endo
Will there's more delay when release time close?Don't promise what you can't do and no more let people lose hope my dear FB.I don't want to have a game not complete just want to know how much time exactly we need to wait.We have patience and I have too.But I lose the hope three times for the wrong date.If you can't fininsh your work,tell us the worst plan date ok?

shado20

Veteran endo
the game is not going to be complete for years. but it is more than ready to handle early access.

Dommy

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
the game is not going to be complete for years. but it is more than ready to handle early access.
The game is not ready for early access. Way too many bugs, there's only one working gameplay loop, stations and lots don't really work, the economy doesn't really work, the performance is still garbage, infantry and ship combat don't work, ship creation is not user friendly at all, and it's not fun. Many of these issues have to (at least partially) be fixed before the game is ready for EA.

shado20

Veteran endo
wow the way you put it they need to kick out everyone from CA and work for another 2 years before CA is ready!

The game is not ready for early access. Way too many bugs, there's only one working gameplay loop, stations and lots don't really work, the economy doesn't really work, the performance is still garbage, infantry and ship combat don't work, ship creation is not user friendly at all, and it's not fun .
Hmm, after watching 30+ vids, reading the forum and following the discussions on Discord, I tend to disagree your statement, even though I don't have first hand experience.
Of course there're bugs and other inconveniences, but in my opinion nothing that harsh that it couldn't be released as an early access.
Btw, talking about user friendliness: you should have experienced the fickly manipulation of voxels in DU when building anything... and I did establish an extensive base despite that.

Well, maybe I'm just impatient - can' wait to try out the extensive system of ship building...

Kodey

Veteran endo
Of course there're bugs and other inconveniences, but in my opinion nothing that harsh that it couldn't be released as an early access
I’m not sure what videos you’ve been watching, but the game is 100% not ready for EA, I’ve personally found a bug that lets me press a button to win any battle, and most of the core systems either don’t work or are broken. Also, the dev videos contain a lot of removed features (such as rgb lights). And as for explosions? Well, a handheld Grenada launcher is more powerful than a railgun or plasma gun, as the explosions work in a “delete sphere” way, completely ignoring armour.

I’m not sure what videos you’ve been watching, but the game is 100% not ready for EA, I’ve personally found a bug that lets me press a button to win any battle, and most of the core systems either don’t work or are broken. Also, the dev videos contain a lot of removed features (such as rgb lights). And as for explosions? Well, a handheld Grenada launcher is more powerful than a railgun or plasma gun, as the explosions work in a “delete sphere” way, completely ignoring armour.
I agree. This game is not ready for early access at all. The bugs and issues described are exactly what you would expect in an Alpha build, but much needs to be done before it is open alpha or beta ready.
  • The economy system is not functioning other than in a placeholder state
  • The ship builder is woefully complex with little help or explanation around the role of the various components and their interactions. Many will 'get it' but many will also be put off and run the risk of not returning or reach for another product
  • Some of the needed tools are not yet implemented
  • There is no (or extremely limited) materials to product interaction implemented at all, and what is implemented is in flux
  • and much more...
Release too soon and you risk scaring people away through frustration and inaccessibility, whilst building a bad perception in the market place.

However, I also recognise that FB need to raise funds to continue product development. Despite them having other products which are revenue generators, I suspect they are not a bottomless pit, and sooner or later they will need to see some return on this investment. They have a challenging decision ahead in balancing the risks involved in early release (too early), and the financial imperative. Given the pace of change set by FB, I would estimate another three to six months before SB will be ready for early access, in my humble opinion.

FB have been transparent and working closely with the alpha testers throughout. I have strong hope that this will be a great product in the near future, and look forward to it with child like excitement. In the meantime, I am excited to continue to help testing and contribute in a very small way to getting this ready.

@Kodey: missing rgb lights, or weird acting explosions doesn't really concern me.
That there're bugs, not implemented or not working features, etc is to be expected in an alpha/early access state of the game (we're NOT talking about beta!) I tested games in the past which were in a much more rudimentary state, and got my desired leisure time out of them if the basic concept was ok.

Open Early Access by end of March, display a disclaimer describing the actual state of the game, if possible include a short video clip to that regard.
Further I would suggest to explicitly state that there will be no refunds: Frozenbyte has shown a quite open policy regarding what they're working on, and what is already implemented. Plus there is plenty on information available online, so a potential customer is able to decide if there's enough on content for him in SB.

shado20

Veteran endo
I’m not sure what videos you’ve been watching,
you haven't seen any of us sitting in discord every night watching everything anyone will stream for the last month or 2!?
yes we see the game! we know what is up! stop telling us misinformation!

Kodey

Veteran endo
you haven't seen any of us sitting in discord every night watching everything anyone will stream for the last month or 2!?
yes we see the game! we know what is up! stop telling us misinformation!
I’m not sure what videos you’ve been watching.

dusty

Hmm, after watching 30+ vids, reading the forum and following the discussions on Discord, I tend to disagree your statement, even though I don't have first hand experience.
It's worth noting that the vast majority of the content seen in the feature videos is not actually yet implemented in the alpha. I assume many people see these videos and figure that these are completed features that just need a little polish before release, where in reality they are buggy and unfinished if they are implemented at all (eg: rockets and torpedoes).

I’m not sure what videos you’ve been watching.
Please log into your Discord, and check in the Starbase/Community column "streaming and videos":
Besides featured vids by FB, there are dozens of player made streams (that means real-time footage of playing the game for hours) showing ship construction, mining, pvp and so on. These aren't fakes, my friend ;)

shado20

Veteran endo
LOG INTO STARBASE DISCORD! hell I have been in voice chat on the starbase discord all night and we have 1 player streaming. some times we have many more, we get to talk and ask questions on game as we see it, that's where we get our videos! and i have been in there for 2 months at the start of CA, and now i have been in there since the mid of January. watching and talking with CA players, there is no ground braking bug or feachure no in game to facilitate a early access. not going on with early access and delaying yet again when it is ready will give this game a bad reputation with gaming community's. and yes there are many gaming community's looking at this wondering where this game can make a deadline. with the fact that we are in week 10 of 12 of Q1 and it is not delayed show that either the game is ready and there gun shy, or they are incompetent at figuring deadlines. listening to some of you the game will never be ready for EA launch!
also some of ya keep referring some games that had bad launches as reason, games like no mans sky, that game lied to its player base as to what was coming, it was the lie that killed that one!

Dommy

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
there is no ground braking bug or feachure no in game to facilitate a early access.
The only finished gameplay loops are mining and ship designing, which have been pretty much finished since the start of CA. Station construction, economy, combat, manufacturing, and many other gameplay loops aren't even close to being finished or simply don't exist.
EA is early access, but the game only has one chance at a release, and early access is that one chance, since that is when the game goes public and anyone can buy it. If the game released right now, then reviews will be negative, and Starbase will have a reputation of being a demo, since people treat EA games as released games.

The only finished gameplay loops are mining and ship designing, which have been pretty much finished since the start of CA. Station construction, economy, combat, manufacturing, and many other gameplay loops aren't even close to being finished or simply don't exist.
EA is early access, but the game only has one chance at a release, and early access is that one chance, since that is when the game goes public and anyone can buy it. If the game released right now, then reviews will be negative, and Starbase will have a reputation of being a demo, since people treat EA games as released games.
Again, I agree with this. I push a slightly controversial view that the mining mechanic also remains unfinished, as there are gameplay aspects which will need pressure testing in a wider audience. The lack of any kind of ore scanner seems broadly accepted amongst the vocal, but I suspect the practicality of gameplay will quickly isolate a wider audience from sustained engagement due to the monotany and excessive play time required to see a reward on effort. There is no process for the ores other than to sell them or use them as is for repairs. The mining laser versus manual mining lacks balance. No filter options on collectors or filter ejection of unwanted materials exists, which makes the whole process unnecessarily manual and time consuming, and can infact make the manual approach more useful than automation as a result. Again risking appeal and longevity to a wider user base, than the dedicated and innovative few within the alpha community.

The challenge for FB is to balance challenge, gameplay time of the average user, and feature richness, with development time, and how far to improve accessibility to attract and retain the widest possible audience. Not an easy choice, but one which needs a FB to listen beyond the limited alpha audience they currently have.

Walord

Active endo
LOG INTO STARBASE DISCORD! hell I have been in voice chat on the starbase discord all night and we have 1 player streaming. some times we have many more, we get to talk and ask questions on game as we see it, that's where we get our videos! and i have been in there for 2 months at the start of CA, and now i have been in there since the mid of January. watching and talking with CA players, there is no ground braking bug or feachure no in game to facilitate a early access
there is no gamebreaking bug, but the game aint finished, its not where near from finished. Yes, its annoying that they keep pushing back the release, but since its an mmo, it doesnt work if there isnt enough people, so if gets a bad launch, its fucked, more than games that dont require a big community. That game gets better the more people there is, so if you loose a lot of people right at the start, its over. Also, "there is no feature not in game that would stop people from playing ea" your right, but youd be playing a half completed game (more then the half but still), the parts that are there are completed for the most part, but theres just so much missing in termes of gameplay loop and just things to do. There a wide gap between playing the game and watching it

Last edited:
@Walord That's why it's called Early Access (incomplete, bugs, etc), and not Beta.
By the way, you're stating "There's a wide gap between playing the game and watching it" - if I like what I see, what would stop me doing the same?

In any case, the question should be: is there enough content to keep you occupied? That depends on the individual gamer. As for me, it's just fine and would keep me entertained.

RyuShihan

Active endo
Unless you want Dual universe version 2, its not ready for release. The simple core ability to totally ruin a ship which you need to mine so easily and take hours to fully figure out whats wrong with it will cause many people to not put time into it.

Unless you want Dual universe version 2, its not ready for release. The simple core ability to totally ruin a ship which you need to mine so easily and take hours to fully figure out whats wrong with it will cause many people to not put time into it.
+1, at the very least they should be extremely cautious and not advertise this as a fully playable game, but at as product in an alpha phase and the early access as a form of support, not a headstart. When I look at the steam page, trailers and descriptions, one can easily get a feeling that Starbase is almost finished, maybe with some missing content (more ships, planets,... after release) and before a HW optimization, that's all...
IMHO letting more people into CA and delaying EA would be a good choice, because people on steam are used to the fact that most games in EA on steam are close to a final product (already after some beta tests, but still with bugs).

Last edited:

Kodey

Veteran endo
Please log into your Discord, and check in the Starbase/Community column "streaming and videos":
Besides featured vids by FB, there are dozens of player made streams (that means real-time footage of playing the game for hours) showing ship construction, mining, pvp and so on. These aren't fakes, my friend ;)
Not sure what videos you're watching, but you're getting the completely wrong idea. Also, it's hard to tell how complete a game is based off just videos.

Also, FB videos are mostly outdated or have features not in the game/not possible.
1615990819599.png
You can actually see a bug in that video here

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.