Anyone thought about having moving / hidden turrets on their gunships to get past weapons checks at stations?

Mito

Well-known endo
I wanted to make an exploration ship that could easily appear as a Civilian miner or a transport

Kmank

Well-known endo
Hide gun in the cargo hold then open the cargo bay doors and pew pew pew

CalenLoki

Master endo
Yes, of course.
I don't think any stations will really enforce "no gun law", because everyone will be armed, even miners.
But hidden turrets offer quite some other advantages:
they can't be sniped off,
enemy can't see what he's facing until you start shooting,
Smaller profile lets you fit in smaller hangar (and be smaller target),
You protect guns from environmental hazards (i.e. space dust),
you can repair/reload them while safely hidden inside.

And probably many more.

Morrgard

Master endo
You can do many different designs of hiding turrets and having them retractable on the exterior of the ship, however, on the interior, I'm not sure if we have any smaller turrets that would be more viable and not blow the ship apart along with the intruders.

Mito

Well-known endo
What if Ships have some sort of device list, and if there are security checkpoints that will require you produce that info?
that would be a cool idea, imagine if some empire security stopped you going into their base to trade because they found concealed missile launchers because of some code. Hiding the yolol panels that control these under the floor or something would be done quite often then. IMO making people show concealed weapons would be counterproductive .

Morrgard

Master endo
What if Ships have some sort of device list, and if there are security checkpoints that will require you produce that info?

that would be a cool idea, imagine if some empire security stopped you going into their base to trade because they found concealed missile launchers because of some code. Hiding the yolol panels that control these under the floor or something would be done quite often then. IMO making people show concealed weapons would be counterproductive .
I think if you want to smuggle something it's best not to make it anything that would show up on the control panels and YOLOL, and instead make a smaller secret compartment and bolt the parts down within it.

I mean from the feature videos shown you could just easily not have your guns installed but just hidden in a modular cargo box. get past any checkpoint and hide in a backalley of the station so to speak and bolt all of your weapons on when no one is looking.

really hoping that you can place hardpoints pretty freely on your ship so we can have retractable weapons as described here. it may be the case that larger weapons like rail gun might need to be connected directly to the frame though

Morrgard

Master endo
really hoping that you can place hardpoints pretty freely on your ship so we can have retractable weapons as described here. it may be the case that larger weapons like rail gun might need to be connected directly to the frame though
I'm feeling confident that you could make retractable weapons one way or another, we will have to wait to see though

I think if you want to conceal them, just dont conceal them at all. People might mistreat you if they find it.

Morrgard

Master endo
I think if you want to conceal them, just dont conceal them at all. People might mistreat you if they find it.
Interesting take on it. It depends what your going after really and what type of ship if you were to do that

Kenetor

Master endo
im pretty sure we can put guns on the rail system we were shown, and have armour doors open and they pop out. so when your attacked you can show your not so unarmed, as for checks, im not sure there would be a point

Morrgard

Master endo
im pretty sure we can put guns on the rail system we were shown, and have armour doors open and they pop out. so when your attacked you can show your not so unarmed, as for checks, im not sure there would be a point
Checks will definitely exist, so if you want to sneak past them then you better get really creative and hide any weapons you may have

Metal

Active endo
Idk if you want to hide guns inside your ship because you have to connect wires to them, so if you have them on a rail then if any part of the rail takes damage you no longer have a turret. Also, hidden turrets would make you a target for pirates, have a longer time to deploy, and take up space within your ship.

Interesting take on it. It depends what your going after really and what type of ship if you were to do that
Id rather go somewhere where I am allowed with weapons and have em on my ship or go to somewhere without a weaponized Ship :3

Morrgard

Master endo
Id rather go somewhere where I am allowed with weapons and have em on my ship or go to somewhere without a weaponized Ship :3
I hear you. Always wanting the capability of defending yourself. Should not be giving that up in a lot of cases!

DrunkRussianBear

Chancellor of the Argentavian Federation
Would definitely be interesting to try and hide weapons such as putting blast covers and blast doors over missile tubes while they reload to prevent battle damage, or if we ever get spinal railguns I'd imagine hiding those during reload would be optimal.

Morrgard

Master endo
Would definitely be interesting to try and hide weapons such as putting blast covers and blast doors over missile tubes while they reload to prevent battle damage, or if we ever get spinal railguns I'd imagine hiding those during reload would be optimal.
That sounds very possible. You just make like a normal door but reinforced (Hatch more) and then you put weapons a small distance behind it. Got yourself a missile cruiser!

DrunkRussianBear

Chancellor of the Argentavian Federation
That sounds very possible. You just make like a normal door but reinforced (Hatch more) and then you put weapons a small distance behind it. Got yourself a missile cruiser!
They could be super useful during travel too, just in case you fly through a ship graveyard or a small collection of shattered asteroids and don't feel like having bits of rocks in your weapons systems.