Better Lightning

Joshua

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
This is similar to what I suggested. I totally agree, however better lighting is too general. What exactly can be improved about the lighting? for example I suggested less dark shadows so that there would not be black asteroids against a background filled with stars.

Last edited:

Kibbles

Active endo
I think it would be pretty cool if there were street lights that could either be bolted onto stations by hand or an option when building the station to have them place down automatically.

kevinTOC

Active endo
This is similar to what I suggested. I totally agree, however better lighting is too general. What exactly can be improved about the lighting? for example I suggested less dark shadows so that there would not be black asteroids against a background filled with stars.
Lighting in space is very crude and direct. There's no atmosphere for the light to refract around. Light in space just bounces off stuff, and doesn't bend around curves like light on earth does. An asteroid will look black from the other side where the light is coming from.

In space, an object on the side where a star is shining on will be 400°C+, while in the shadows it'd be roughly -200°C. That's how much difference there is in light & dark in space.

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
and doesn't bend around curves like light on earth does.
Wait what happened here? By this logic I'd be able to see around corners easily, which I... [looks around the room just in case] ...which I'm not able to do.

Joshua

Lighting in space is very crude and direct. There's no atmosphere for the light to refract around. Light in space just bounces off stuff, and doesn't bend around curves like light on earth does. An asteroid will look black from the other side where the light is coming from.

In space, an object on the side where a star is shining on will be 400°C+, while in the shadows it'd be roughly -200°C. That's how much difference there is in light & dark in space.
Thanks for telling me this, I was not sure but you explained that pretty good. Basically I did not consider that the light would bounce off all the asteroids therefore diminishing it.

Last edited:

kevinTOC

Active endo
Wait what happened here? By this logic I'd be able to see around corners easily, which I... [looks around the room just in case] ...which I'm not able to do.
It's not like light will do a 90° instantly. It happens over a longer distance. It's called refraction. It's exactly why you sometimes can see a little bit further than the horizon, because the light is bending a bit around the earth's curvature.

BadgerBadger

Well-known endo
There is also the other affect where light is affected by gravity, hence why gravitational lensing is a thing but you need planet size objects to see the effect. Also space it not a complete void, dust and rogue molecules are common (ie solar wind, interstellar medium).

Amos.37

Veteran endo
Look up Snell's law. It explains the nature of refraction. Also, fun fact, light doesn't travel at the speed of light unless it's in a vacuum.

Joshua

Something doesn't feel right even if it makes sense.
Why do you think that pictures from the Hubble telescope are from a 1,000 or more years ago. It takes time for the light of other systems to reach Hubble's lens.

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
Light never just bends randomly because it decides so, but it does get affected by refraction and diffraction. Don't worry y'all, I paid attention in Science class.

Although I will still agree with the fact that the lighting could use some work. We've descended into a physics argument now :D

Joshua

It may be cool if they implement RTX Ray tracing as well. That might easily enhance the visuals yet sadly also cost money since you would have to pay NVIDIA to implement the technology. In that case maybe just a better path tracer will due.

Joshua

Light never just bends randomly because it decides so, but it does get affected by refraction and diffraction. Don't worry y'all, I paid attention in Science class.

Although I will still agree with the fact that the lighting could use some work. We've descended into a physics argument now :D
Actually light does bend when it is trapped inside the earths atmosphere, or any other planets. Its just to such a small degree that you cannot see it. Does not matter much in space though since there is no atmosphere.

Verbatos

Veteran endo
Maybe this is less of an immersion thing and more of a gameplay thing. Everyone is saying how light works in real life, but this is a video game, the laws of reality don't apply.
I personally found everything in the EA footage I've seen a little cold and dark, it feels like there is no warmth to the world (well, space) at all.
I am personally fine with it being a little dark, but I'd like to see some warmer lights and textures, to add a more cosy feel rather than an oppressive and constricting one when in stations or other tight places.
Just my two cents.

kevinTOC

Active endo
Maybe this is less of an immersion thing and more of a gameplay thing. Everyone is saying how light works in real life, but this is a video game, the laws of reality don't apply.
I personally found everything in the EA footage I've seen a little cold and dark, it feels like there is no warmth to the world (well, space) at all.
I am personally fine with it being a little dark, but I'd like to see some warmer lights and textures, to add a more cosy feel rather than an oppressive and constricting one when in stations or other tight places.
Just my two cents.
Well, it makes sense, Space is cold. Though, of course, I wouldn't mind seeing warmer colors on designs, ships or stations, but I would not like the lighting to be too unrealistic. After all, FrozenByte has made quite an effort trying to make this game at least reasonably realistic.