Current PvP state and points of interest, that could be implement right away

Feel free to explain your point of view in the thread below

• Total voters

Erador

Well-known endo
Ok, that will be a huge and based threat that will talk about current MMO/PVP/Trade mechanics.

I will save your time, and will say the possible solution from my point of view, without extra writing:

Untill capital ships are invented (or maybe even it should be not changed after C-ships are added) Decrease SZ at the Moon's gate to 3-5 km in radious. City's SZ should be not merged with gate's one.

Below, I will write why that can be a solution.

The current universe contains two parts: Eos and Elysium (their belts I will call blue and green for simplicity). Now, why not make Eos a place for newbies, who wanna play alone (by the way, nothing will stop them to go through a gate with hired mercies(they will need them just to pass it)/or just take a risk), PVE only players?

To be honest, the current state of economics works a way, that no one needs anyone's help or service. Anyone can easily build their wealth by digging asteroids inside SZ, and if they want little bit more, they can go outside SZ(still blue belt) or fly to green belt.

Why not make green belt high tier location, where corporation will fight for gate's control, pirates will hunt for single targets, and all of it will cause more content at this time? Even a shortage for a specific ore is a content (shortage for both sides of the gate, but with different resources, at the Arma and Origin).

There is no problems for the players, who will stay at Origin. No one will force them to go to the green belt. They can easily mine every ore they needed to build good ships. Yes, there will be high prices for ore from green belt, that price is based and will be high tier. High tier means - you are on top, there is no way to progress anymore. I guess, that will be a good goal, that players should reach.

Again, to the situation on the gate. It will be global Pont of interest. Who keeps the gates, keep the trade traffic and gathers fees. It will encourage corporation to fight each other to keep monopoly on it, and their miners will trade between Arma and Origin anyway.

I guess, that could be a good idea to keep current players to be interested to keep playing. With cap ships, players can easily bypass the gates.

Cavilier210

Master endo
I think some of this is already there. Fighting effectively over the gate would require smaller gates, for one, and functional faction mechanics.

NeoGP

Endokid
Firstly, I am not a pvp'r.
Secondly risk vs reward to pvp is not worth it. You literally gain nothing. Now, change the way derelict/non derelict ships work.. I may be interested in doing some pvp. If I xan kill you, steal your ship and KEEP IT!!!

Heres my thought based on your suggestion/opinion..

Public point of access should not be controlled by players or the ability to be "taxed". The moon gate should stay in the same sz as the .moon base.

Does the moon sz need an adjustment.. probably as it currently covers a huge area that doesnt need to be an sz.

Im going to add some other ways for players to pvp in a moment. But while on the subject of the moon as you stated there is virtually no reason to leave the safe zone if you just want wealth. However, we always want more, right? So let's go elsewhere.
The only sz on the entire planet is the gate and base. The moon is missing content, no different then the rest if the game.
Pvp
Why do we have individual player stations so easily accessible?? Have you seen the hundreds maybe thousands of player stations?? These are mini sz.. great! Except when a player logs out for 2 months these stations just sit. If a player station is in pvp, the only way it is safe is by using a device called sz generator. It runs off ores based on location. You add gens to increase size and obviously burn rates increase. Make the station operate like ships. Not vacant safe zone lots.

Obviously, this doesn't solve the current pvp.

I can only hope they make some adjustments to the game to help balance pvp and allow players to not be pigeonholed into camping a fast travel gate.

Untill capital ships are invented (or maybe even it should be not changed after C-ships are added) Decrease SZ at the Moon's gate to 3-5 km in radious. City's SZ should be not merged with gate's one.
I like this whole suggestion bar one flaw. If the safe zone is larger than, say 500-1000 meters, attacking forces would be able to mass up inside the safe zone until they could basically zerg rush the defending faction making it unsustainable to defend the gate because there is no way to prevent this. I would go even as far and say that the safe zone should only be as large as the gate itself. Let the rest be up to the players.
I can even see myself (a solo player as of now) to try and simply slip through the gate with a mini ship to try and establish a base in the belt from which I might operate and sell the valuable ores to nearby traders/haulers (or heist their cargo ;)).

Public point of access should not be controlled by players or the ability to be "taxed". The moon gate should stay in the same sz as the .moon base.
I highly disagree with that statement. The gate isn't a "public good" but a shortcut implemented by the devs. I see where this is coming from but you cannot simply make everything that could be of interest a public good unless you want to have a stale and pacifist game which I personally do not want.
Also, there will be ways to reach the Moon(s) other than the Gate in the future with capital ships being introduced and perhaps other methods as well.

shado20

Veteran endo
the more you force a pvp interaction, the more the pve players will avoided it.
there needs to be something to fight over, at the moment there is nothing.
when we get working stations this will cause everyone to spared out and your pvp will suffer for some time.
this game has pvp in it, it is not all about pvp at this time

Foraven

Veteran endo
Eventually there should be no dev stations outside origin at all. Including the gates
I disagree. I much prefer there to be a few public owned stations everyone can go to regardless of what faction they belong to. I don't want to have a universe that is mostly off limit because it's owned by someone or some faction. I want to know there are place I can go where I can park my ship safely and not worry about getting shot at or stolen from.

Cavilier210

Master endo
I disagree. I much prefer there to be a few public owned stations everyone can go to regardless of what faction they belong to. I don't want to have a universe that is mostly off limit because it's owned by someone or some faction. I want to know there are place I can go where I can park my ship safely and not worry about getting shot at or stolen from.
Then why don't you make that station and location?

Foraven

Veteran endo
Because I don't want to have to build a station around every locations of interests just to have somewhere to land. I don't have the time or will to do that and I don't want to be blocked off places just because.

Jakaal

Active endo
Because having one, even large faction trying to setup and defend a defacto safe station would be dog piled and you know it. PvPers would see it as an affront and would do constant wave tactics to destroy it or drive if off. dev enforced is literally the only viable option.

shado20

Veteran endo
Because I don't want to have to build a station around every locations of interests just to have somewhere to land. I don't have the time or will to do that and I don't want to be blocked off places just because.
locations of interests? this is an asteroid belt, there is nothing else there but rocks. and soon hopefully stations that others make, this is not a sight seeing discovery point things to see game.
and being from a large faction, we like having smaller groups around, in some games we called them renters. have been in a large faction for a long time it is a very good strategy to have "renters" around , they are a barrier between us and the enemies.
i was hoping that this game would facilitate this , but the new space cube stations will kill the community aspect this game was about!

Foraven

Veteran endo
locations of interests? this is an asteroid belt, there is nothing else there but rocks. and soon hopefully stations that others make, this is not a sight seeing discovery point things to see game.
and being from a large faction, we like having smaller groups around, in some games we called them renters. have been in a large faction for a long time it is a very good strategy to have "renters" around , they are a barrier between us and the enemies.
i was hoping that this game would facilitate this , but the new space cube stations will kill the community aspect this game was about!
The game world is very large and there are many moons, all with their own belts and stuff. I am a solo player (up until now). Having neutral places I can go to without having to joint any faction is a cool thing for me. Public gates to some moons, trade stations, moon cities and the like. I don't get why you guys want so adamantly to have EVE nullsec everywhere in Starbase. This game world is stupidly huge, I want to have some mean to visit it without having to slowboat to it or wait for some friendly factions to make bases there. Of course i'm no against having some areas up for grab and fight over, places for factions to get their fighting itches scratched. But I am more of an explorer than a fighter (I can fight) so I care more about what is free to see and get than what has to be fought over.

Cavilier210

Master endo
I can promise you plenty of people and groups would love to do it. Also counter to your firmly held belief, no, PvPer's won't be singling it out for special attention. They want them as much as you do. We build the world, not the devs. The devs give us the tools with which to build it. Which is where I would much rather have them have their priorities, rather than making sure you have a place where you're 100% safe.

Especially given that the dev factions are supposedly held to the same rules mechanically as the rest of us. Should they be getting some sort of special privileges because the devs create stations for them to cater to you?

shado20

Veteran endo
The game world is very large and there are many moons, all with their own belts and stuff. I am a solo player (up until now). Having neutral places I can go to without having to joint any faction is a cool thing for me. Public gates to some moons, trade stations, moon cities and the like. I don't get why you guys want so adamantly to have EVE nullsec everywhere in Starbase. This game world is stupidly huge, I want to have some mean to visit it without having to slowboat to it or wait for some friendly factions to make bases there. Of course i'm no against having some areas up for grab and fight over, places for factions to get their fighting itches scratched. But I am more of an explorer than a fighter (I can fight) so I care more about what is free to see and get than what has to be fought over.
let me understand this , your fighting for solo play, in a massive multiplayer online game....

i cant say anything else to this without getting in trouble...

Jakaal

Active endo
There is a distinct difference between a game being better played with others, and a game required to be played with others. Forcing everything to be PvP active at all times around everything is pushing firmly towards solo playing being impossible.

Cavilier210

Master endo
There is a distinct difference between a game being better played with others, and a game required to be played with others. Forcing everything to be PvP active at all times around everything is pushing firmly towards solo playing being impossible.
Solo play is never impossible. Its not impossible now even. But, MMO's are not designed for solo play. Massively multiplayer online. Yet routinely people try to make them massively soloable with online chat feature. Which is like WoW, and sucks.

Foraven

Veteran endo
let me understand this , your fighting for solo play, in a massive multiplayer online game....

i cant say anything else to this without getting in trouble...
I am not fighting for solo play, I just haven't joined any faction yet. I fear I won't have the free time to regularly play this game (currently out of work but that will change soon) and the few experiences I had with clans in other games left me some sour taste in my mouth. I'll rather play with trusted friends but none of my own have started to play Starbase yet. And I am too busy in the SCC currently.

Shameless plug

Vector6 03.jpg

I am not fighting for solo play, I just haven't joined any faction yet. I fear I won't have the free time to regularly play this game (currently out of work but that will change soon) and the few experiences I had with clans in other games left me some sour taste in my mouth. I'll rather play with trusted friends but none of my own have started to play Starbase yet. And I am too busy in the SCC currently.

The Federation and any of the Concordia factions would be good for you if you're looking to play on and off. We don't generally have activity requirements.

Plus, everyone is an SSC hermit now.

CalenLoki

Master endo
Regarding dev gates/stations/cities:

IMO having almost everything player built and controlled should be the ultimate goal... but don't rush it.
Dev stations are necessary until game encourage large factions to build public (!) infrastructure. I.e. a way to automatically tax the gate based on ship mass/volume.

Also moon bases is a huge chunk of game features that should be always available to everyone.
High quality resources should be of course just for those willing to fight for it. But a single relatively safe "poor mans moon" would be a huge bow towards casual solos, without screwing the risk vs reward economy too much.

Regarding the current gate SZ:

Until we get reliable way of finding players without camping the gate, IMO it should be reduced as much as possible.