Deadzones are annoying in mouse grid (Piloting with "C" key option via mouse). Please fix :|

Should it be fixed asap or can wait?

• Yes, that very annoying!

• Yes, but it can wait.

• Meh, don't care.

• Show me results.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Erador

Well-known endo
I guess players aware that there is a beautiful thing such mouse interface that can be turned on via "C" key while piloting a ship. (See attached image)

But it very UNHELPFULL that it has "deadzones" inside that grid. So, when mouse close to center of X or Y axis, it stops taking any input. That's really sad!

I have met a lot players who agreed with this issue (Yeah, we like to discuss game's glitches and bugs :D but we like the game even more even with current state). AndI just want to be sure, that developers are aware of that things, and aware that players want it to be fixed ASAP (It's hard to mine, it's hard to pvp, it's hard to do any tiny movements).

Thank you for reading :)

Attachments

Vorg

Well-known endo
Don't think it's a dead zone problem. They are doing the same thing Interstellar Rift is doing. Instead of just moving in the direction the mouse moves, they move at a speed in relation to how far the mouse moves. Move the mouse a little to the left and it will KEEP moving slowly to the left until you move to the right. Move it more to the left and it will move faster to the left until you move it enough to the right to reverse it. They way it's being done, it makes it very hard to control with out over stearing and hard to stop the turn when and were you want it.

Erador

Well-known endo
Don't think it's a dead zone problem. They are doing the same thing Interstellar Rift is doing. Instead of just moving in the direction the mouse moves, they move at a speed in relation to how far the mouse moves. Move the mouse a little to the left and it will KEEP moving slowly to the left until you move to the right. Move it more to the left and it will move faster to the left until you move it enough to the right to reverse it. They way it's being done, it makes it very hard to control with out over stearing and hard to stop the turn when and were you want it.
I Agree. But your case is much harder to implement (I mean in term of time). But the dead zone can be easily changed.

In my opinion, the mouse dead zone is very annoying. I have PVP experience. I see in it several options for targeting weapons. One of them is a fixed weapon - then we use the mouse to control the ship itself. The second is a turret weapon - then we control the ship through the WASD and aim the turrets through the mouse. In both cases, mouse control is used. And in the presence of a dead zone, it is impossible to make accurate aiming when the ship is aligned exactly on the target. My opinion is one of the reasons why the tripod is so strong - it will allow the player to shoot accurately and zoom in.

Vorg

Well-known endo
IR tried messing with the deadzone and stuff. As of last time I played, it was still a hard to control mess. You can't patch up a fundamentally bad design. It needs to be replaced.

CalenLoki

Master endo
The thing you're talking about is mouse centring (returning virtual joystick to the middle position), which indeed should be an option.

And inertia based flight model, which is core game mechanics that many of us love. And that should'n be dumbed down to SE level of abstraction.

But the dead zone is a big problem, and easy to fix (because you remove part of the code, not add anything). Could be an option for mouse aiming, but for sure not the only one.

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
We'll add a lot more options to the mouse controls before it can be considered even remotely completed. No eta yet, but we are looking into it at the moment.

J.D.

Veteran endo
i personally dont like the system at all... My reasons are that i dont like this grid, I dont like the endo's arm up in the air while doing it. I also dont like the constant movement when your mouse isnt centered. I feel like that would be much more useful using a hotus. But, id like to have flying feel more like an ESF from planetside, or something. the ship follows the mouse, but stops when mouse stops.. it would just make the ship feel much more controllable. i feel like i have more control over the ship using the keyboard, rather than this grid.

Throdnk

Well-known endo
I hope controller support is also planned (for late future obviously). The "analog" input would match to the levers quite nicely, I imagine.

Agreed, i made turret for mouse rotation in mouse control mode by C button, but dead zone for 18 degrees in both directions makes it very hard to aim. I tried to google some information but did not find something useful. Tried to find name of this mouse control mode, but settings does not have option to rebind C button for ship controls, and of course i did not find checkbox or slider to disable or change dead zone for this mode.

Erador

Well-known endo
Agreed, i made turret for mouse rotation in mouse control mode by C button, but dead zone for 18 degrees in both directions makes it very hard to aim. I tried to google some information but did not find something useful. Tried to find name of this mouse control mode, but settings does not have option to rebind C button for ship controls, and of course i did not find checkbox or slider to disable or change dead zone for this mode.
find Loopback channel on youtube. he got a video how to unbind C from ship controls.

He speaks russian. so just turn on subtitles or just watch what he does