Does mining lasers go through ships? Or will there be any other types of "lasers"?

As in lasers i mean continueous fire like the mining laser, as i got some ideas for a boarding ship and i just wanna know if it will even work.

MAXD

Veteran endo
I always want a weapon version of mining lazer .
Also kinks of lazer will be good and SF.

XenoCow

Master endo
I have little doubt that the mining laser will do damage to ships, just as the pickaxe can also do damage to ships. I don't know how effective it will be, but it will definitely be worth testing out once we can.

Saltylelele

Well-known endo
As of right now the mining laser is not active in teh CA, so we dont know yet. Wiki may tell you.

(CA Tester, check disc role)

Talla

Learned-to-sprint endo
Wouldn't it be cool to have the space station asteroid muncher / collection area, but on a ship?
It would be similar to the cargo lock frame, but with higher power consumption.

That way, you could literally bulldoze your way through asteroids (and ships maybe)?

Last edited:

Verbatos

Veteran endo
Imagine getting three lasers on a track to move up and down in a cutting motion, start slice through ships like butter that would.

Just imagine your attacking a mining ship out in some asteroid belt and they just ignore you until you get to close just for them to start mining your ship too!

Quinc

Well-known endo
Judging from the video the mining laser functions more like a cutting laser, vaporizing a small piece of the target each half second. It trades damage per second for precision. So you can absolutely kill the enemy with it! Either strategically destroying specific parts on a slow target, or relying on the lack of a travel time to more consistently hit a fast target.

Wouldn't it be cool to have the space station asteroid muncher / collection area, but on a ship?
It would be similar to the cargo lock frame, but with higher power consumption.

That way, you could literally bulldoze your way through asteroids (and ships maybe)?
While that might seem like a great idea, it could result in exponential growth and eventually veteran players who have essentially unlimited resources. With the competitive nature of the game that would mean building ridiculously large ships which in turn result in massive lag and various balance issues. Resources are meant to be a limiting factor, but if you can build any number of asteroid munchers on your ship, raw resources stop being a limiting factor. This is also true for mining lasers, so hopefully they don't directly collect materials.