Emphasis on Smaller ships.

Snow

Endokid
From what we've seen, there will be a large focus on smaller ships. This is anything pilotable by 1-3 people. Your average snub fighter to a cargo ship. In what situation would a larger ship be needed in the game? It's just a bigger target.

Kenetor

Master endo
bigger ship, more dakka!

Im sure there will be more reason as we learn more about the game until then its mostly having bigger weapons and more power/ammo for them

Kenetor

Master endo
I'd like to see some carrier-esq creations, maybe as a flagship for a large community.
This will be quite the ways off, we have seen the biggest ships possible without further optimisation, but in the future maybe they will be bigger, as i am looking forward to it too!

Kenetor

Sneaking into enemy faction mega-ships on a 2x2 spy plane with nothing but trusters and up/down/left/right controls, and stealing it back to your own faction.

To get to the moon, we're going to need ships with a lot of fuel storage. Wonder if any pirates will capitalize on that... :unsure:
They said getting to the moon alone would be a huge accomplishment, so hopefully people will set up some fuel stations along the way?

K-T0N

Learned-to-sprint endo
Larger ships could be used to transport several smaller ships over longer distance thanks to larger fuel containers. After all, distances in game seem quite large. As such, larger ships could mean longer autonomy in therm of fuel.

Larger ships could be used to transport several smaller ships over longer distance thanks to larger fuel containers. After all, distances in game seem quite large. As such, larger ships could mean longer autonomy in therm of fuel.
From what i've seen, bigger problem than fuel will be speed. Space drag scales hard with mass. Big ships are slow and it doesn't matter if you have twice the burn time in fuel if you move half the speed.

Variabug

Well-known endo
Not really. That depends on what the ship is doing. If you're in an explorer that might work. But combat ships will rely more on a mix between both speed and range.

CalenLoki

Master endo
It all depends on how the game gets balanced.
I.e. if spare body storage is large, fragile and energy hungry, then it'll be more efficient to store it inside big ships.
If you can respawn/teleport at your faction ship, then meta will be large carriers with small permanent crew and lots of "hibernated" soldiers and small combat efficient gunboats.
If power generators get more energy efficient as it get bigger, then whole new set of possibilities opens.
BTW talking about meta before game release is a bit pointless.
But fun.

Wicca

Well-known endo
It all depends on how the game gets balanced.
I.e. if spare body storage is large, fragile and energy hungry, then it'll be more efficient to store it inside big ships.
If you can respawn/teleport at your faction ship, then meta will be large carriers with small permanent crew and lots of "hibernated" soldiers and small combat efficient gunboats.
If power generators get more energy efficient as it get bigger, then whole new set of possibilities opens.
BTW talking about meta before game release is a bit pointless.
But fun.
Fun.. Definetly fun, mindgames and theorycrafting is always a fun sport :)

I personally don't think smaller ships are going to be very effective, at least from what I've seen so far of combat. But I shall wait for balancing and gameplay in the early access