Environment events and static\dynamic anomalies.

About my game expirience.
I have more than 1k hours played in SE, including other games like Elite, Space Rangers, KSP etc.
I found that in most cases their worlds feel empty after few 100h gameplay because the world doesn't try to bite the player, there's no resistance, no limits.
While playing with friends we can create complex gameplay situations like (SE example):
1. Attack the pirates with our team.
2. Get ship problems (destroyed few engines or reactors).
3. Cockpit leaving and ship repairing on the fly with a risk of dying from Asteroid or a bullet.
4. Ask friends for help to increase chances to survive and save the ship while fighting with environment and priates (for example here).
That's cool, of course if you have repair dock lol.

The end of good words about the game.
A few words about an environment.
1. Meteor storm inbound.
2. Pirates.
3. Creatures.
That's all what SE has to punch the player, they have complex system to work with voxels but there's no damage from environment.
Have no idea why.

Imagination
Just imagine you're flying in the space and get traped by solar flare, your ship consumes more energy, some systems are getting damaged, some just won't work or thruster of ship is going crazy.
How the played would act if he's just an exploerer/fighter/miner/trader? This can actually improve communication between players, because they will have to help each other to survive, or fight to steal damaged ship.

How about gravity anomalies that could just slowly devour your ship? Another one gameplay situation: you have been trapped by blackhole over event horizon, you have some time to call somebody to help you get out from BH, how it may look like? A big ship with overpowered engines? Or a couple of small ships with players but again with powerfull engines? Or you just die lonely in the space trying to get out by accelerating ship to stay on the orbit? Many many situations can happen from simple features.

Anomaly mechanics
There would be two general types:
1. Static - doesn't move over space, huge radius, have long lifetime.
2. Dynamic - move across space, small radius (or a couple of small radiuses), small lifetime.

Subtypes:
1. Electric - produce damage or unnormal behavior of ship systems.
2. Gravity - slowly deform ship or not, adds velocity to ship in random vector or linear.
3. Kinetic - like space trash on earth orbit, high speed explosive damage, could be invisible.

The list of possible anomalies is infinite, so my suggestion is: add space anomalies, they by their simple nature could create complex and interesting moments of gameplay and as I know it is a part of a game's soul.

Last edited:
These types of events sound really awesome and would add a nice challenge to the game other than PVP. There has been talk about nebulas being a thing. Most likely such things wont be added until sometime in ea.

Most likely such things wont be added until sometime in ea.
That true, but according to my GD expirience, mechanics like it must be checked and tested at start of the project not after EA, because bigger code base = harder to impliment. So I hope Frozenbyte see and feel the idea and impliment it before EA closing. c: