Hardpoints

pavvvel

Veteran endo
I suggest adding different types of hardpoints to the game. Now we are forced to connect devices with low energy consumption to the same hardpoints as engines that consume a lot. For example, a receiver, radiator, rangefinder.. As a result, the size of the ship increases due to these squares, the mass increases. Weak spots appear in the armor - where the hardpoints are located. You can make a division of hardpoints by size and grades (tier 1,2,3). So that the hardpoints differ not only in size, but also in throughput and degree of hardness (armored options are needed). In addition, sometimes when connecting a hardpoint to a triangular drive, so that the angle of the hadpoint does not look beyond the dimensions of the engine, you have to suffer and manually rotate it. There are still many inconveniences. We need to work on this.

kiiyo

Veteran endo
Hardpoints that don't poke out from behind tri thrusters would be really nice.

kiiyo

Veteran endo
You can acutally rotate hardpoints 45 dgrees, and offset them slightly to be perfectly flush. its great.
Yeah, I know (works with everything from generators to thrusters to all devices - so long as the middle bit of the "modular" connections is snapped together, you can do crazy stuff all you want)
However beaming those 45 degree hardpoints in a decent manner is a little challenging in some situations imo. A hardpoint that lets you easily beam it to a 90 degree grid of a ship would be handy since it would reduce a tiny amount of the "ugh how do I do this" factor from the ship construction process.

pavvvel

Veteran endo
Chaos rifle, show a video about how you fought one against three, or it's a lie.

You're all trying to add another pvp avoidance feature to the game. With passive 360°, players will mine ore only around their endless cheap stations and fleet carriers. At the same time, they will not need to think at all, monitor the environment, they will not need to team up with other players. They will simply fly to the station at the first threat. It kills the gameplay.

You don't write about what a huge server and client load which passive sens 360 will cause. What will it be: 10,000 invisible rays or radio waves? If there are rays, then this is a huge load. If there are radio waves, then it is necessary that the ship be equipped with receiving and transmitting antennas and a computer for analyzing information, an amplifier and a signal generator, highly shielded cables, and a power supply filtration system. All sensor equipment must be very expensive. Such equipment needs a lot of energy. The antennas should be installed as far away from the ship's hull as possible so that there is no interference. As the cargo boxes fill up, the interference should increase greatly.

Solar interference should work: an increase in the amount of interference when the sensor is directed towards the sun. Nebulae in the asteroid belt should almost completely weaken the signal of passive sensors. Active sensors controlled by the player and aimed at a narrow range should cope well with nebulae.

Finding a ship in the asteroid belt, which contains metals, should almost completely blind passive sensors. The work of mining lasers and rangefinders should blind passive sensors.

When the ship is moving, the sensors should be affected by the Doppler effect. When filling the boxes with ore, the operation of the sensors should be greatly degraded.

Adding passive 360 sensors to the game is bad in every sense: balance, implementation, abusing, load on the server and client, technical difficulties, bugs, complexity for the developer, killing stealth, the impossibility of surprise attacks, the impossibility of boarding. And all for what?? To evade pvp?

ChaosRifle

Veteran endo
I think you posted this in the wrong thread Pavvvel.
Chaos rifle, show a video about how you fought one against three, or it's a lie.
it was during the first seige tests. I might even have a clip of it on twitch.tv/chaosrifle , though only a 60s segment, as limited by twitch. Go ahead and ask anyone that was there for it, had some fourty witnesses to see it happen. Maneuver thrusters don't produce a trail, in the dense lunar fog the only thing you CAN see is the thruster trail. If you don't have one, you are invisible. It's really not a brag of my skill, any idiot can do the same thing I did, because they simply couldn't fight back against what they couldn't see.
You're all trying to add another pvp avoidance feature to the game.
Actually that would be Frozenbyte, https://wiki.starbasegame.com/index.php?title=File:Starbase_roadmap_1440_11.11.2021.jpg shows the official FB roadmap where space exploration cites radiation detection mechanics (radar). It has said that since release to EA.
You don't write about what a huge server.. ..load which passive sens 360 will cause.
As far as I know the server sends you the seed (for world generation) for the local area so you know what rocks are there on your client (this is why they sometimes vanish as you approach, someone else already mined it and the server updated you on the data for that rock specifically as you got closer to it) This to my knowledge is the commonly accepted way the server handles asteroid locations and typing. FB please correct me if I am wrong, I love hearing about your server tech <3. The other player sends you their data on peer to peer which has nothing to do with servers of any kind (well, except for transponders, those are over a server I think, which is why they break and stay on, or didn't show when they should in the early days. They run at a lower polling rate though, and you can see it updating once every second or so as it teleports forward to keep pace with the ship). From all known data about Starbase servers, the asteroid server is pretty much just a website that every few minutes gives you the new seed for the area you flew to. its like opening google.com for them. Less so if optimized because of the lack of pictures to send. Once its on the client the client can do the calculations.
impossibility of boarding
uhhh... Well you can't do that now unless you killed their ship anyways, so that is the same as it always has been with sensors.