How do you role-play in the Architecture?

Learned-to-sprint endo
I liked creating living spaces with Space Engineers.
However, it was possible because it was a premise that humans lived there.

There are no humans or aliens in Starbase so I don't know how to role-play architecture.

Robot civilization? What should I build when I don't need food, sleep, shower, toilet and oxygen?

I tend to take science fiction seriously, so I can only come up with terribly boring equipment for robotic civilization.

I'm sorry if it doesn't make sense because it's Google Translate.

Last edited:

MAXD

Veteran endo
Agree.
I saw some ships with a living space, they set chess and some logos there.
But we truly lack some device with living style.
We dont even have weapon rack.

The lack of organic PC's does have the aspect that the "entertainment" need isn't logical to provide. We could use cards, chess, etc for shipboard activity on long range patrols and such.

CalenLoki

Master endo
While endos are robots, they are made humanoid. And because it's absolutely impractical shape in space, my theory is that they have the need to look and move human-like. Maybe they are human consciousnesses controlling robotic bodies? So maybe they need to "feel like human" by sitting in chairs, laying in beds, cleaning asteroid dust in dedicated ultra-sound chambers, ect?
So pretty much all the things humans would do except consumption.

To be fair, you don't need consumption to have organic PC's either... Its a style choice, sure, but this constant "you'd need to eat" stuff is pretty disingenuous.

Robots would not have all the needs that humans or other lifeforms do, but they would share some needs with them and have unique ones of their own. If robots were programmed to behave similar to humans, they would have similar social needs. They would want places where they could gather and converse with other robots. Humans often combine social interaction with meals, so they often gather around tables. Robots would not eat, so they would be less likely to use tables. Since they do not have faces that are capable of expressions, they would tend to rely more on gestures to express themselves. This means a ring of chairs facing an open center space might be their preferred arrangement for conversation. This would let a robot easily stand up and gesture if they wanted to.

When considering what robotic living spaces might be like, human offices might be a better source of inspiration than homes. They are generally not designed to satisfy biological needs, but they still usually are reflections of their occupants. Some are barren and functional, but many are decorated not only with artwork, but also personal mementos, degrees and awards. Robots might also decorate their spaces in these ways.

Robots would need to clean and maintain themselves, although they would use equipment suited for machines. One item I would like to see would be a buffing wheel. It would need to be attached to a YOLOL controlled arm and using it would change the textures on an endo's armor to shinier and less flawed. Eventually, the texture would return to normal and need to be buffed again. This is the sort of thing that would be good to sell as a cosmetic, since it would be fun, but not give the buyer any real advantage.

Those are just some ideas I had.

Last edited:

Venombrew

Master endo
i do believe the general ID is we has humans are controlling the endos from somewhere in the universe, in a "avatar" like state. i dont think it ever went into in any length of information beyond that but thats about the gist idea.

MoneylooJr

Well-known endo
From what I can tell, the general concept of what an Endo (the robots we play as) is among the community is mostly a 3-way tie between

1: Endos are robots left behind by humans.
2: Endos are robots containing and operated by uploaded humans.
3: Endos are remote controlled by far-away humans.
There's also a special 4th option one of the devs have joked about, which is that Endos are actually mechs controlled by cats, but... I'm not sure how credible that one is personally. (though i guess it is the closest the devs have ever given us to an official answer...)

Honestly though I'd say trying to put any clear-cut idea of what everyone's Endo is meant to be is kinda redundant anyway, since it varies on a faction-by-faction basis. Some factions sell themselves as pure robots, some go with the human uploading idea (or even some other species), some just flat out don't make any sense (i.e. the Imperium of Man from WH40K being robots here despite that going against what that faction stands for in their OG series), some use their own rarer one like some kind of hardcore cyborg/synthetic ascension deal. I even remember seeing a faction once on the wiki that sold themselves as alien conquerors from another dimension here to take over our own.

My point is, there isn't really any definitive answer on what an Endo actually is, so instead of going for one concrete guideline for your architecture I'd say you should try to base the design of your ships on a case by case basis. Is it being sold to/used by a 100% robot faction? Design it with robot needs (and their lack there of) in mind. Are they humans in robot bodies? Keep the robot needs in mind, but also consider that a human would still want to upkeep their old needs for that sense of normalcy even in a robot body. If you're building for a general audience, try to design a little for each so that any type of Endo could make use of it- even if it isn't specified for them like more focused builds. Basically, think of it less like designing for one specific type of robot and more like a variety of intelligent species which all just happen to be robotic or robot-like. That's how I'd go about it anyway.