How do you want warp gates/FTL to work?

For me personally I want the warp gates and I want them to be built by players, such as the devs have said it can take twenty days to get to the moon, I want someone to do that, and drag a warp gate right behind them then set it up at the moon. Also I really fancy the ideas of warp travel and how you can create a hub of many different warp gates all together with various destinations against a faction's empire or territory. I also kind of want to see the chaos of what would happen if all the warp gates just failed in a player made event or a developer introduced one. Such as many space games have stories centered around warp gates failing then all the people are stuck in that side space. For example Eve online and starsector come to mind and quite frankly I want to live that scenario out but in starbase.

Kenetor

Master endo
drag a warp gate, nah, build one! im hoping warp gates will be at preset destinations and have maybe a tiny section built with a small station next to it, and then its up to the players to build each one to expand the network.
I say preset locations as otherwise were gonna get these things anywhere and everywhere. But definately built by players as it gives more long term goals to the player base.

K-T0N

Learned-to-sprint endo
Warp gates are nice… But, for variety's sake, how about some sort of warp canon like in Mass effect?

Sendall

Active endo
I would hope that gates can only be built in certain locations to stop it just being a mess. Call it a gravitational disruption or words to that effect. It also makes them a greater strategic concern which will make the faction play more interesting.

Additionally, by adding a warm up and cool down time after and before a jump it would add a nice level of depth around comiting to a jump vs travelling at sub light speed.

Morrgard

Master endo
I was hoping the warpgates would be placed in an equal distance around the world to be sure fast travelling can be made so not each trip is too much a drag.

As for the moon, I imagined that it would be a capturable gate, so the first person there can go over and capturing it enabling it for the entire community to use. (no ownership)

Sendall

Active endo
I was hoping the warpgates would be placed in an equal distance around the world to be sure fast travelling can be made so not each trip is too much a drag.

As for the moon, I imagined that it would be a capturable gate, so the first person there can go over and capturing it enabling it for the entire community to use. (no ownership)
From what the devs have said I don't believe this will be the case. They have said that they want space to feel big. Fast travel will only detract from that experience.

Morrgard

Master endo
From what the devs have said I don't believe this will be the case. They have said that they want space to feel big. Fast travel will only detract from that experience.
I meant it as in normal day travels won't take you too many days. As for the distance of the gates, I meant rather large distances but evenly

Sendall

Active endo
To add to what I said as it is a hit ambiguious. I believe warp will be an expensive, rarely used and risky strategic option.

Sendall

Active endo
I meant it as in normal day travels won't take you too many days. As for the distance of the gates, I meant rather large distances but evenly
I think that's going to be pretty accurate. The planet to the moon maybe but I don't think around the asteroid belt.

Morrgard

Master endo
I think that's going to be pretty accurate. The planet to the moon maybe but I don't think around the asteroid belt.
Yea, I just mean for trading and such things all too long, as that would be a drag. Longer unique travels is a different thing of course like planet to moon and vice versa

Sendall

Active endo
I think we shall still be travelling for multiple hours to get from one station to another. How long that survives post EA we shall have to wait and see.

Kane Hart

Veteran endo
Sounds like Gates will be something that comes around the moon content. Sounded like we go there and start farming and building gates one on each side. I'm hoping they cost a lot of resources and use a lot of power and maybe their power just to have a reason to feed them. Being so long to travel to the moon no matter one turning one on will be worth it.

Biglet

Active endo
Hmm hopefully the time it takes to get everywhere is not too debilitating. You have to admit, realism is nice but there is a fine line between realism and boring.

Sendall

Active endo
It depends what is inbetween. Pirates and NPCs would spice it up. We shouldn't expect to much during EA though.

ST2005

Learned-to-sprint endo
I hope they would work like Stargates, like, you dial destination warpgate and fly in. Devs already made them(or going to make, anyways, warpgates are confirmed), but i wonder will they be built by players. If so, warpgates will need to have an protection from intruders, so you wouldnt be attacked by random pirate

Please remember that watching a travel timer count down to actually finding fun is not a valid gameplay loop. If your opinion differs from this fact then you should re-assess what sort of experience you think you want from video games.

With that in mind, let us not bloat travel times from fun activity to fun activity. Some people want to engage in actual gameplay and not just look at space fly by.

CalenLoki

Master endo
I think right now I'm only for FTL consciousness travel. So switching between bodies.

Any form of FTL just makes the world feel small and trade caravans gameplay less meaningful. You could just make the world smaller and the effect will be the same.

On the other hand I like action, and want to join it when it happens without boring grind or wait before.

So I vote for ships to be forced to fly at normal speed, limited by fuel. And the things explorers need to bring to moon (or make there) to open it for their friends (or everyone, for a fee) should be just exoskeletons.

Personally I am a fan of warp gates only. you can already move pretty fast without the gates.

Obviously, the warp gates would be very expensive to build. also I think the gates should knock down the safe zone of the launching station for like 30 minutes that way there is some cool gameplay around the gates and travel.

Azelous

Veteran endo
If they were to add warp gates, I want gates to be:
  • Expensive to build
  • Expensive to run
  • Take a long time to build
  • Have a very large minimum size (if warp gates are able to have variable size)
You're removing an entire aspect of gameplay, and having cheap teleportation doesn't seem right.

By having these three attributes you would guarantee that:
  • Gates would only be created by wealthy and well defended organizations/players.
  • There would be a limited number of gates in the game.
  • Gates would have value. You're not just looking at something that was haphazardly whipped up, you're looking at something that took a multitude of players and took them many days or weeks to build.