Mining outside the safe zone

Where do you go to mine outside of the safe zone?

Not wishing to lose my shiny ship instantly, it would be handy to understand where is best to attempt to move outside the safe zone.

I see warp gates but don't know where they go. How do you find asteroids outside the safe zone? Do you go to the fuzzy blue and just keep going until you fall of the end?

Without any kind of map system a little hint will be gratefully received.

Many thanks

XenoCow

Master endo
I see warp gates but don't know where they go.
The first warp gate next to Origin station (where you spawn first) goes to an Empire outpost. The warp gate after that goes to the nearest moon. There isn't a lot to do at the moon and the gravity is pretty intense, be careful.

Without any kind of map system
Thee collective has created a map you can visit here: https://isan.to/

As for the rest of mining, I think that you likely won't find flying out the other side of the ring a problem as it takes a long time to travel that far. Most miners are pretty cautious about spilling the beans on any ore hot-spots they find, so you might need to do your own prospecting by flying up to asteroids and checking the material with the universal tool.

Tagarik

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
You don't have to worry about passing the safe zone border. Safe zone size is currently 100x100x20 km (afaik) with its center at Origin

Orlover

Well-known endo
You can warp to Empire B through the gate and you are still in safe zone, Traveling from Empire B to empire C you will still be in the safe zone (and see plenty of asteroids) for a bit before you are out of safe zone. When you get to Empire C there is another small safe (4km?) zone around the station itself (and asteroids inside it even). There is no safe zone around the pirate stations and Robur I believe. There is no safe zone on the long warp to the moon but there is ample safe zone from the arrival point to the moon itself and you will be safe I think.

Here is why that does not likely matter..........

I have never been attacked outside pvp events. Ever. The only people who have killed me outside those events are my own teammates messing around. Most people are super cautious and just want to be left alone to mine or travel. I'm pretty sure if you are extra cautious to turn off your Transponder, check "O" on occasion to see if anybody is even in the area and generally avoid people you don't know then you will probably have really good odds of not ever being harassed.

CalenLoki

Master endo
Your worst enemies when mining outside the safe zone are the asteroids.

Lurking in the shadows, waiting for the moment when you take your hand of the keyboard to grab some snack/drink, then jumping in front of your ship.

Remember to bring tools: bolt, pipe, cable, durability, weld. All with ammo.
Watch fuel/propellant meters, as you can't tow your ship from outside the safe zone.
Don't bring your only ship out of SZ. Earn enough for spare before going out.