NO Warp Gates? Discussing their potential replacement, Space Highways.

Fingle

Active endo
I posted a thread about Warp gates titled Hypothetical Warp Gate Construction Requirements in which I discussed my ideas about how warp gates should be constructed. A fellow endo let me know that Warp gates have been scrapped and replaced by "hyper lanes" (Pictured below) These lanes would allow a ship to excede the 150 m/s cap that the space sludge causes.

space-corridors-artist-rendering.jpg

What are our thoughts on this change? Would it be better than warp gates? I know @CalenLoki brought up some concerns in my previous post including the ilagitimacy of piracy, making the game world smaller, giving more power to large factions who can build them, removing localized resources management and allowing quick allocation of military assets.

As I do not believe space highways would solve all of the issues, I can see piracy still being relevant by sabotaging a section of the highway to yank someone out prematurely.

It seems to me that the construction of a space highway would be much too resource-intensive for just one faction to build on their own. We might get the same kind of deal that the intercontinental railroad did where one side started from the west and one in the east and they met up in the middle (just hopefully without the inhumane working conditions).

What are the communities' thoughts on some type of space highway system instead of Warp Gates? I frankly like the Idea.

Zijkhal

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Have Warp Gates been scrapped? My understanding is that Warp Gates and Space Highways would coexist

As for some of those concerns, if the Warp Gates work in pairs instead of like a network, and if the two ends of the pair have to be certain distance apart, and if a Gate can not be too close to another, then it would not shrink down the universe too much I think.

I can much easier imagine space highways shrinking down the game world way more than Warp Gates. Especially if anyone can create a junction, and we can just riddle the game world with space highways.

To be honest, I much prefer Warp Gates with distance limitations to Space Highways

CalenLoki

Master endo
There was already discussion about hyperlanes (suggestion board), and I agree that it's much better option then any form of ship teleportation.

Stanky

Active endo
So there's been some discussion of combining hyperlanes and jump gates. I think we should look to Eve Online on how to best do this. We have jump gates that are not a network. Gates will act in pairs and only pairs. These gates have to be a certain distance apart, but the next travel gate has to be a certain distance away from the previous one or they will not function properly (either cataclysmic destruction or just shuts them off). They should be far enough apart to make flying between pairs to be tedious. This is where the hyperlanes come in . A hyperlane greatly increases the speed of the ships to make the travel between gate pairs not THAT tedious, but interdictors (bubbles or lazers or whatever) can pull a ship out of this increase of speed. So we can still have pirating.

Zijkhal

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
I imagine pirating could be something similar to how it works in Freelancer. Like hyperlanes havig to continuosly have modules to extend it, shut one off, and hyperlane throws unsuspecting victims out

CalenLoki

Master endo
Personally I'd keep warp gates only for interplanetary travel. And make them expensive enough to operate that double jump (i.e. to moon and back to different gate) cost almost as much as sent cargo itself (unless it's something very precious).

And hyperlanes don't need to go over 150m/s to be useful. Simply making them reduce space jelly 4x would be enough of advantage to encourage players to use them. And would be much easier for collision detection.
Assuming ^2 jelly drag, that would allow 2x faster travel with the same engines or 4x less fuel usage without increasing speed.

Verbatos

Veteran endo
I think the highways would be better than warp gates, since it is more intuitive for the player and will give a bigger advantage to covering your ship in thrusters.

I think that space highways would have space caravanes that would pop up and companies that there business is to provide protected travel along highways.

Last edited:

Otac

Well-known endo
I posted a thread about Warp gates titled Hypothetical Warp Gate Construction Requirements in which I discussed my ideas about how warp gates should be constructed. A fellow endo let me know that Warp gates have been scrapped and replaced by "hyper lanes" (Pictured below) These lanes would allow a ship to excede the 150 m/s cap that the space sludge causes.

View attachment 412

What are our thoughts on this change? Would it be better than warp gates? I know @CalenLoki brought up some concerns in my previous post including the ilagitimacy of piracy, making the game world smaller, giving more power to large factions who can build them, removing localized resources management and allowing quick allocation of military assets.

As I do not believe space highways would solve all of the issues, I can see piracy still being relevant by sabotaging a section of the highway to yank someone out prematurely.

It seems to me that the construction of a space highway would be much too resource-intensive for just one faction to build on their own. We might get the same kind of deal that the intercontinental railroad did where one side started from the west and one in the east and they met up in the middle (just hopefully without the inhumane working conditions).

What are the communities' thoughts on some type of space highway system instead of Warp Gates? I frankly like the Idea.
i hope there will be warp travel in the future cost more feul

Warped flights and interstellar highways can coexist. Warp flight can be set as some star gates, some are artificially constructed star gates, these are connected to a clear destination, and some are wormholes discovered by people, which means unknown, adding an exploration gameplay.
Regarding the interstellar highway, this is a basic project. The roads within the factions are built by themselves, and the roads between the factions are jointly constructed by the factions. In wartime, there may be the practice of destroying highways and blocking enemy forces, and may also collect road taxes or the like, or, as mentioned earlier, pirates and some unscrupulous people may damage highways.

So what I got from this post is that warp gates were just teleporters and the new thing is basically hyperspace from Star Wars where all it does is speed you up

Burnside

Master endo
I thought warp gates were supposed to create hyperlanes.

Further, myself and others have speculated how hyperlanes/gates might work, we came up with an interesting composite theory between ourselves:
[snipped for suggestion post]

Last edited:

SubtleSloth

Well-known endo
Free form overdrive to travel at around 5 km/s or more! No railroads!
I feel like this takes away from the whole exploration and ship design aspect of the game. There is a TON of design factors that go into a very long distance trip right now and if they do it this way, people will be discovering the world much faster than the developers can put out content I think, leaving nothing to discover until some new patch comes out. That’s just my opinion though. I do think there needs to be some kind of intra-system and inter-system means of speeding up travel though, but not directly based on a player’s ship. If the community bands together and makes warp gates and highways and such as a project, then so be it, the world then can be discovered more easily by future players. However, I believe with all my heart that the beginning years of this game need to be a huge community project to get the infrastructure built to be able to get places.

Cavilier210

Master endo
I feel like this takes away from the whole exploration and ship design aspect of the game. There is a TON of design factors that go into a very long distance trip right now and if they do it this way, people will be discovering the world much faster than the developers can put out content I think, leaving nothing to discover until some new patch comes out. That’s just my opinion though. I do think there needs to be some kind of intra-system and inter-system means of speeding up travel though, but not directly based on a player’s ship. If the community bands together and makes warp gates and highways and such as a project, then so be it, the world then can be discovered more easily by future players. However, I believe with all my heart that the beginning years of this game need to be a huge community project to get the infrastructure built to be able to get places.

Its literally like supercruise in ED...