Pinging the ship transponder remotely

So, say that there is this hypothetical case of an endo who has been killed by its own mining ship because it activated mining lasers immediately after login with this unfortunate robot in the way. Also, hypothetically assume that this endo roughly knows the position of its ship but has basically no hope finding it in an acceptable amount of time because the transponder was turned off (for obvious reasons). For this hypothetical scenario, that Endo would like it very much if there was a way to access the ship's transponder remotely (Say, from <100km?) to turn it on or off so that towing it would be easier (or actually possible).
Could something like this make it into the game in the future for these hypothetical cases?

Womble

Veteran endo
"Asking for a friend," eh? ;)

Conceptually, it ought to be a "credible" feature. IRL, you'd have to broadcast a secure message pulse that your ship hears, so you could limit your broadcast to a cone if you knew roughly where you were looking, or make it a sphere if you had no idea. Your ship's transponder would 'hear' and 'respond' with a coded message telling you its precise location. If your 'interrogation' told the 'ponder your current location, it could hit you with a pretty directional beam, meaning someone would have to be extremely fortunately placed to intercept the comms, and all they'd get would be a bearing.

Whether that could be made to work in-game, I don't know. There'd be a kind of 'fun' to be had if the interrogation and response were both omnidirectional broadcasts, and provided a transient 'ping' to anyone 'in range'... The race would, to an extent, be on.

Conceptually, it ought to be a "credible" feature. IRL, you'd have to broadcast a secure message pulse that your ship hears, so you could limit your broadcast to a cone if you knew roughly where you were looking, or make it a sphere if you had no idea. Your ship's transponder would 'hear' and 'respond' with a coded message telling you its precise location. If your 'interrogation' told the 'ponder your current location, it could hit you with a pretty directional beam, meaning someone would have to be extremely fortunately placed to intercept the comms, and all they'd get would be a bearing.

Whether that could be made to work in-game, I don't know. There'd be a kind of 'fun' to be had if the interrogation and response were both omnidirectional broadcasts, and provided a transient 'ping' to anyone 'in range'... The race would, to an extent, be on.
It takes from 30 minutes to an hour to farm resources for a warship - this is not so much. The problem is different - there is no reward for winning, because of this, many people do not have motivation for PvP.

Well, that would already be an advanced implementation.
Personally, I think that simply turning it on and off remotely (with an access code maybe) would be sufficient for a start. Also, the idea obviously contains the possibility that all ships in range are would receive the ping/signal too so they'd get a bearing.

Womble

Veteran endo
Well, that would already be an advanced implementation.
Personally, I think that simply turning it on and off remotely (with an access code maybe) would be sufficient for a start. Also, the idea obviously contains the possibility that all ships in range are would receive the ping/signal too so they'd get a bearing.
I think an idea like this is good enough to be included, but it needs to be set up so that it's not just a magic wand that gets you back to your ship without risk, so I looked at limitations and opportunities it could permit.