Poll: Rental lot privacy.

How to protect rental lot privacy?

• Total voters

CalenLoki

Master endo
There is another hot topic on discord.
How should rental lot privacy be protected from intruders.

1. Allow lot owner to shoot at intruders after warning period. "You entered private estate. Please leave within 15s or your safe zone will be terminated."

2. Invisible wall, and just bounce off if you fly into it.

3. Allow both options, for lot owner to choose.

4. No protection. Anyone can walk in, and there is nothing you can do.

5. Instancing. Any intruder can enter the lot, but they will only see buildings. Can't see ships or players, and can't be seen by owner.

Of course all options would have blacklist and whitelist options.
And of course visitors can't interact with any objects inside, unless allowed by the owner.

ATM its option 2. But the history shows that nothing is set in stone.

Last edited:
What about an optional invisible wall that is defaulted to off but easily changed?

Or a blacklist system where you blacklist individual players?

dusty

I really don't think invisible walls fit with the freedom that Starbase offers, but something to keep players out while also not outright eliminating espionage would be the ideal solution for me. Perhaps something like a key, digital or physical, that can be used to interact with a door's lock to gain entrance to the property? I don't think the game should announce intrusions, either.

Naturally, I think property protections should drop when a station's safezone falls.

CalenLoki

Master endo
That's level higher than entering the lot and looking at external walls Dusty. Let's keep this thread about basic crossing the border when it's not physically obstructed.

Blue

Learned-to-sprint endo
Shooting intruders down would defeat the whole purpose of a safe zone unless you could turn pvp on in specific area for pvp inside your lot. The way it is is already good enough since you can just choose to make your lot private and have the force field or public and let people enter for any activities you want to do, there is also whitelisting for friends, trade and other things like that. Its not like its a nightmare to have force fields around, its not going to do anything bad.

dusty

That's level higher than entering the lot and looking at external walls Dusty. Let's keep this thread about basic crossing the border when it's not physically obstructed.
Sorry, I misunderstood. In that case, I don't know that I'd agree with any of the poll options (no offense intended, of course). Invisible walls should always be discouraged, in my opinion, but one-way fire control (a la option #1) is a wholly inequitable solution. I don't necessarily agree that there should be nothing that can be done, but it's the closest option to fairness so far.

I believe lots are instanced. Could you not control who your lot "appears" to?
I think you have options already but it’s displayed to everyone. Personally, I think there should be a spectrum from clear wall to regular station rules (No collision or weapon damage).

Azelous

Veteran endo
I believe lots are instanced. Could you not control who your lot "appears" to?
That’s a bit too much power..

In response to the thread, invisible walls are never an answer that I want to see. I’m not sure about a one way damage model, but I’m highly supportive of a bounty system.

I would personally be fine with anyone being able to come and go, however the devs have stated they want to cater to solo players as well. This requires some sort of player protection on a lot.

Amos.37

Veteran endo
If other players already can't damage or interact with anyhting in your lot without permission, I don't think there needs to be much more.
Maybe a blacklist that sets an invisible wall, just to deal with trolls blocking doorways, but have it so that invisible walls are off as default.
Although, if a troll is determined enough, they'll just wait at said invisible wall to continue annyoing you.
Not the best solution, but maybe the option to shoot down blacklisted players only, and players are warned if they enter a lot where they are blacklisted.

PopeUrban

Veteran endo
No protections are necessary. Build some walls and doors. There's nothing of value other than what people can eyeball on your property, so put a roof over that stuff and call it a day. You're already protected from theft and destruction by the station's safe zone settings.

If you're not, in the case of a war, sucks to be you. Evacuate with the other refuges ahead of time or fight to defend your homestead.

CalenLoki

Master endo
Another option appeared. Lauri described what he meant by "instancing".
It doesn't mean that several people can rent the same place.
It means that intruders who enter the lot will see it "empty". I.e. they'll see buildings, but not other players (lot owners), and maybe also ships.

There are some concerns regarding that (i.e. sneaking in and learning complete floor plan), but I'll leave it up for discussion.
I'm also adding it to the poll.

BTW you can always change the vote, if you change your mind.

Last edited: