Purpose of Personal Rooms Inside Lots and Stations

When building a base on a lot or an entire station, it would be awesome to have personal rooms for you and all your friends. However, since we are robots that don't seem to follow the laws of thermodynamics (perpetual motion, baby!), what purpose would a personal room serve?

For starters, it could have gun racks, armor stands, and maybe shelves to display things you've collected. But that would make it look more like a museum, rather than a home that you'd like to spend time in. So I propose to give our robots the ability to receive some sort of buff by undergoing "regular maintenance"—have some equipment that looks rather like a bed, that, if you log off in it, you recieve a buff the next time you log in. Maybe it gives you slightly faster run speed, or you can swing the pick axe faster, or your aiming dispersion is lower, etc. There could even be "food" that you can cook up in your kitchen or buy from a dining hall that gives your robot the aforementioned buffs. And you can also have a dining table in your room and have a nice meal with your friends before heading out for a mission, like in Monster Hunters. Another idea is that if you have a personal bed inside your room, you could respawn in it for free or at a much reduced price compared to using the public insurance terminals.

Of course, these are only nice-to-have features, the lack of which shouldn't subtract too much from the experience. Nevertheless they would be awesome to have and maybe something for the developers to think about after they are done with the core gameplay elements.

Quinc

Well-known endo
While it is a feature I would like to see in more games, your second sentence already explains why we probably wouldn't see such things in Starbase. While there should be advantages to having your own base, giving buffs to your avatar shouldn't be it. It would be weird to see beds and food in the game, and I think the reason we play as robots is because the developers decided they didn't want to implement anything like that. Fortunately the game gives people the ability to build and customize personal spaces, unfortunately they would only have an aesthetic function. I also feel that there should be an additional use but not food or beds or specific stat buffs.

"Maybe it gives you slightly faster run speed, or you can swing the pick axe faster, or your aiming dispersion is lower, etc." Until you die...

STEALTH

Well-known endo
Definitely wouldn't want to see anything that gives "boost" to an Endo, for me I feel that's where things get silly and WILL be abused by some like they always are in games that include such things. This is especially true when dealing with combat; I rather see the combat here be pure between one player and another.

The idea of altering aiming, movement speed, etc....stuff should have no place in this game. That kind of stuff should be left to MMORPGs where there's avatars that have "stats" and "leveling up" or shooting games with abilities (e.g APEX). Should not be in a game like this that's seems to be rather grounded.

Tagarik

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Endos don't have any needs so I'd say that personal rooms in lots have same purpose as in GTA Online. It's purely for flex or rp purposes. Nothing else in my opinion.

I think something visual would be nice, like grime and dirt accumulating over time. Just something that could help add purpose to a cleaning stand or something like that.

CalenLoki

Master endo
Maybe just endo respawn racks that look like beds and require manual access.
Viola! Personal room with a purpose.

L9M2

Learned-to-sprint endo
Something to respawn at would be nice, and to customize the Endo, since it is a room for the Endo why not a Rack or something that allows customization for colors and equiping armor?
Though tbh, I would probrably make mine have some storage containers, craft stations, and general basic stuff in case of "decommission"

Most games use personal rooms purely for storage and respawn. I don't think leaving it at that is too far fetched.

MoneylooJr

Well-known endo
I think the best way to handle personal rooms in station lots (or possibly even ships, if that's ever possible) would be to keep it simple. Bed-like recharging stations that slowly repair damage done to Endo parts, maybe with some "medical" equipment like heart-rate core-rate scanners to increase the repair speed for medbays. Functional display racks for armor, weapons, and tools that also let you quick-swap between your currently equipped armor/weapons/tools and the ones on the rack would be good too.
This is all assuming FB even plans on adding unique functionality to personal rooms. Considering we're immortal space robots, I don't think we even really need personal rooms in the first place. Personal rooms in Starbase probably won't go any further than holding your loot (and possibly ships), displaying your favorite weapons/armor sets, and giving you a free spawn point.