PVE or AI?

Is there currently, or any plans to include a PVE or AI aspect to the game? I did not see anything about hostile NPCs on the wiki.

CalenLoki

Master endo
No plans for hostile AI.
Combat is purely PVP.
Economy is also planned to be p2p
Only environmental things that can actively kill you are things like radioactive nebulas, collision with asteroid, ect.

Only sort of AI we'll get are vending machines/auction houses, ect.

BadNation

Well-known endo
I don't believe there is plans to implement any form of AI into the game fighting wise, but there is always YOLOL ;)

MoneylooJr

Well-known endo
PVE isn't really something that will be present in SB. The closest thing to PVE would be the corrosive nebulas, which damage exposed components, but even that will likely be more of a way of forcing better ship design than a focused PVE challenge like a hunger bar or hostile NPCs. You have power and fuel to manage, but nothing for the player themselves (our robots are wholly self-suficient.) All the challenge really comes from piloting and PVP.
There is one thing to keep in kind though; some factions are planning on taking up the role of hostile NPCs, so while there won't be any AI to fight, there will still be plenty of player-played pirates and raiders to spice things up occasionally.

Verbatos

Veteran endo
The devs have stated that there will be no NPCs whatsoever, everyone from shopkeeps to pirates will all hopefully be players.

However, there is probably gonna be a variety of environmental hazards, such as environments that damage exposed components or asteroid fields to avoid crashing into. In the alpha, the asteroid belt has been less of an issue for me to navigate personally, as long as you are watching where you're flying you won't hit anything, although I did go AFK once and crashed my favourite mining ship, I still haven't gotten around to repairing it...

Theoretically you can make PVE in the game by making and programming a ship using yolol, to attack new players and miners if your that evil