PvP Server

Quevin

Active endo
Has there been any discussion about separating PvP and PvE in different servers?

Starbase PvP server
- A single Origin Station with a 5km safe zone.
- Player made stations require upkeep (to prevent station spam).
- Player made stations also have a reduced safe zone (~1km).
- Combat Tagging, unless you have survived x minutes without taking damage, you can't enter the safe zone.

yes ... that's it.

There are no rules. no hand holding, no safeguards except for the safe zone around origin.

Imho this is an option only if the player base is large enough (like too large for 1 server). I see no point in splitting player base in half because main server needs lots of PvP players for its economy etc.

CalenLoki

Master endo
I could see that working. I could also see it being just a distant moon - so you can fly there, but transporting anything is not worth it.
ATM it Arma station is doing pretty much the same too.

Throdnk

Well-known endo
A problem with a distant moon would be that you couldn't jump back quickly to join some "PvE" action. I hope some global quicktravel will sometime replace the range-limited insurance transfers, but until then such a planet would just split an already small community.

I'm not in favor of a dedicated PvP Server since I think the main server is intended to be already driven mainly by "PvP" - there are just many major features missing.

(Putting PvE and PvP in quotation marks because I hope that with enough features there will be a fluent transition between mining and fighting etc.).

Mutleyx

Veteran endo
I actually really like this idea. To keep it simple I would go for two universes that are identical to begin with, just one with pvp enabled, the other not. No assets are transferable between universes, so no farming the PvE area for PvP advantage. People could learn to play in the safe universe and stay with that if that's all they want, or progress to the wilds of PvP.

J.D.

Veteran endo
I personally do not like the separation of the playerbase. in fact, i hate the idea so much, id probably quit if they did that. I like one server, because the pvp has impacts in the economy, and just the entire universe in general. Separation would just absolutely murder the game for me. As much as i like pvp, i dont like the pointless call of duty feel. I like depth. pvp in one server has depth. If anxiousness is what is causing this idea to open up more opportunities for pvp, we have mechanics on the way to make pvp much more available. we just have to wait a little bit.

Last edited:

Greebo

Well-known endo
The playerbase isn't large enough I feel to warrant this. Like other said, future features will hopefully encourage PvP

Vanidar

Well-known endo
100% hate this idea. Why not just provide reasonable risk/reward for resources and let people choose their preferred level of risk in the same server? PvE server will turn into a boring ship demo game with the market inflated beyond your wildest imagination.

Why not just have reduced safe zone effectiveness and frequency with higher densities of rare ores at further out points, like a 3rd or 4th moon from Eos?

I do like some of these ideas applied to the single server though.

Last edited:

Agonarch

Active endo
First off I'm a carebear, I don't go seeking PvP or pirate, anything like that, so it might be a surprise to hear I'm for keeping the single server.

From my perspective we have a PvP zone, it's most of the game, we have a PvE zone that's viable (maybe at the moment too viable, but station fixes will hopefully change that), the only issue I see in the current setup that's not on the cards for fixing right now is with advanced PvE players clearing out the starter zone, causing new players to fly into the PvP zone where the PvP players murder them (an all around horrible experience that PvP players get the flak for, but the newbies wouldn't have gone out there if the area wasnt overmined so PvE players are as much to blame imo).

Perhaps we have a small 20-30km area around origin with respawning asteroids where you can't use mining lasers, only picks, to drive the advanced PvE players away from the respawning asteroids but having them for newbies?

CalenLoki

Master endo
A problem with a distant moon would be that you couldn't jump back quickly to join some "PvE" action. I hope some global quicktravel will sometime replace the range-limited insurance transfers, but until then such a planet would just split an already small community.

I'm not in favor of a dedicated PvP Server since I think the main server is intended to be already driven mainly by "PvP" - there are just many major features missing.

(Putting PvE and PvP in quotation marks because I hope that with enough features there will be a fluent transition between mining and fighting etc.).
What Quev is suggesting is keeping the main server mix PvP and nPvP, as is now, and add even more hardcore version.
And trust me: once you're into hardcore pvp, you don't take breaks for relaxing roid mining.

SB without PvP is just a creative sandbox. And for that we already have PTU. I'd love to have it as separate install, so I can jump between sandbox testing and persistent world.

What Quev is suggesting is keeping the main server mix PvP and nPvP, as is now, and add even more hardcore version.
And trust me: once you're into hardcore pvp, you don't take breaks for relaxing roid mining.

SB without PvP is just a creative sandbox. And for that we already have PTU. I'd love to have it as separate install, so I can jump between sandbox testing and persistent world.
You can switch between them in less than 5 minutes by just opting in and out of the PTU in steam.