Rear-view mirrors

To begin with, I really like the rigid binding of the camera to the first-person view. This gives a sense of immersion and makes you think about the position of the cabin when designing a ship. It's great to feel like driving a space truck or a fighter jet.
But there is one tiny, insanely annoying nuance. Normal trucks have rear-view mirrors and parking cameras in some places. Our advanced space robots don't even have mirrors.

It's annoying. This is especially annoying when you park near the station or, for example, you want to turn back to unload asteroids at the sale site, or when you need to move away from a drilled asteroid, or... there are a lot of examples here.

So, we need the damn cameras. Or at least the rear-view mirrors.

Mirrors in games are very computationally intensive. I agree that mirrors would be great and I'm sure wouldn't present the same level of issues that cameras present when used in combat. So if their resource drain can be reduced whilst still being useable, I think mirrors would be a great addition to the game when the game is more developed.

In regards to operation of a ship in a station zone, I think having 3rd person is fine, no?

Mirrors in games are very computationally intensive. I agree that mirrors would be great and I'm sure wouldn't present the same level of issues that cameras present when used in combat. So if their resource drain can be reduced whilst still being useable, I think mirrors would be a great addition to the game when the game is more developed.

In regards to operation of a ship in a station zone, I think having 3rd person is fine, no?
I think that even if the image in the mirror or in the camera is blurred so much that it will only give a conditional understanding of what is happening behind - this will already be a great help and will not greatly affect performance.
But I agree with you. A third-person view could be a good idea in the security zones near the stations and especially during a test flight in SSC.

I treat the parking problem another intelectual challenge and a reason to use more range-finders. Though i agree that some kind of look-aroud device would be helpful.

ZombieMouse

Well-known endo
I would not be in favour of cameras, as this would inevitably lead to windowless cockpits being the norm. But the ability to add a rear-view mirror would be great.

ChaosRifle

Veteran endo
this would inevitably lead to windowless cockpits being the norm
This is to my knowledge the exact reason why FrozenByte has not given them to us, because having only glass lets them control the maximum tankyness of fighters due to inefficient material for armour + too many layers trades vision for bulk.