Ship Armor

Hola. I thought about Ship Armor quite a bit. Spaced Armor is definitly possible but what about composite or ERA armor? Taking a look at tanks might help. What do you guys think about it?

Bloodlance

Well-known endo
not all ships will be hugely armored, there will be niche builds where the less you can have on a ship, the better. = speed.

It has been expressed that there will be specific forces in Starbase that you have to design your ship around, IE, surviving the pressures of Warping, or flying through a nebula with corrosive gasses. So I think we will see a need for composite armour, so using an outer-hull to protect your armour from corrosion to using armour layers to deal with different munitions (soft-point, explosive then heat layers.)

Quinc

Well-known endo
While the game simulates armor better than almost any other it isn't a proper simulation. There is a page on the wiki that describes some simple formulas. Damage types merely alters the effect the projectile can have on the voxels when the object has low hipoints. If the object has low hitpoints, a projectile can pass through and deal reduced damage to the object behind it.

https://wiki.starbasegame.com/index.php/Damage

When a projectile hits an armor plate (probably the same rules for ANY part) both the armor and the projectile lose certain values, which seem similar to conventional hitpoints. The projectile loses "Projectile Energy" equal to the "Armor value" and the armor loses "Armor value" equal to the projectile's energy multiplied by several factors. "Transformability" of the material, density of the material, size/weight of the part, current corrosion stacks. So the damage of the projectile is spread through each object it passes through. A damaged piece of armor will have less of an effect on projectiles that hit it. Damage seems to work on a part by part basis, so you get better damage by consistently hitting the same part, but hitting the exact same spot does not further improve anything.

Guedez

Learned-to-sprint endo
I was actually not even considering the game releasing with more content than the asteroid belt + gas giant
pretty cool

i mean... the have worked for 5 years allready... you should expect about the same quallety as you do with hytale
Dont expect too much, i really think they Will succéed but look at star citizen for example, they planned release 2014, now in 2019 they are not close to Done, though star citizen is a very badly managed game ever, i really belive in starbase

Dont expect too much, i really think they Will succéed but look at star citizen for example, they planned release 2014, now in 2019 they are not close to Done, though star citizen is a very badly managed game ever, i really belive in starbase
Starbase devs are keen to get players playing, interacting and building. Devs will grow it overtime and our children will be playing it still. I am over waiting for SC. It's too complicated and focus has been too much on realism. Starbase will get the formula right, I have complete confidence in them.

Bloodlance

Well-known endo
SC is a joke tbh, they have used so much money and they r not even close to finishing, meaning it will never be out at this pace.

Starbase instead looks jummy even in its current state and i cant wait to get to building my ships myself. ( and Frozenbyte is doing it so, it will be win win ).

Star Citizen is still chugging along nicely, don't know where you got the badly managed thing from.

I'm indeed hoping we can start making armor arrays that improve protection, but it comes with the same fear I have with Space Engineers. I fear that I'll spend 2 hours coming up with a armor array for my ship that provides good protection, only to find out other people managed it in 10 minutes. It takes away from the enjoyment and why spend so much time on designing an armor array if everyone else is using it already anyway?

MAXD

Veteran endo
I only saw there are different materials in a video but nothing more...
I expect more kinds of armor too.

Burnside

Master endo
Spaced armor is only really useful for limiting the effectiveness of explosives, which now have proper line of sight for their damage bubbles, and then the spacing still needs to be somewhat extreme to be totally effective, increasing the weight of the supporting framework. What's more interesting and technically complex is the actual methods of layering armor. This is more complex than you'd think since Oninum has a weak enough SI that you can't stack two plates of it on a beam with a long bolt like you can with other armor.

It's also important to consider that the voxels themselves ARE a part's hit points, which has damage modelling implications I'm still grappling with while we continue to find out more about the mechanics. So, contrary to my original assumptions, striking armor on an angle does stop more damage because it puts more voxels in the way, but we don't have any bounce mechanics, so it's much simpler than something like Warthunder.

There're also plenty of reason to avoid over-armoring something. Fighters and light gunboats can use the top end of the speed scale to avoid damage by creating a large lead for attackers to aim at, meaning in-flight maneuver and speed retention will be at least somewhat important in a fleet's doctrine and tactics.

Last edited: