Ship blueprints from existing ships and prefabs

Hello,

As I started playing Starbase just recently and started investing time into heavily modifying starter ship few hurdles did appear on way.
First, when coming from games like Space Engineers I instantly miss ability to create ship blueprint from the existing modified ship for cloning ship later.

And while upgrading starting flying frame (ahem, newbie ship) I realized I have to re-do every single step on each square block: manually welding each frame from multiple pieces, bolting multiple pieces of duct onto frame then bolting multiple pieces of plates for frame walls. This is really tedious process and I already missed out ability of making prefab from pre-made block. And then using copy/paste of prefab when attaching to ship in easy build/creative mode.

With current building system the making of additional 24 square blocks on existing starter ship already is not fun and when making large ship this will be getting to another level of insanity. The game really need tools to help players create what they want and not force them for tedious labour instead.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Kenetor

Master endo
hi mr terminator man,

youve touched on 2 main things here.

1) ship blueprints, you cant just get a copy of someones ship because these are protected. you are free to rebuild from scratch, save and edit a design if you do so via the ship designer, its separate to what you have been doing and is the games MAIN way of designing ships, you can look up a map for where this is on the wiki here: https://wiki.starbasegame.com/index.php?title=Community:Guides

2) upgrading the starter ship, this can be done with easy build mode, the tutorial teaches you this and doesn't involve making all the individual parts by hand and bolting them on. you should also not normally mix the techniques on ships as they can bug out (Sorry it is alpha after all)

generally after adding a few crates and thrusters to the starter ship people mine enough ore to make a stockpile and some credits for a better begginer ship. there is a green ship shop in the center of all the origin stations with a bunch of ships in to choose from as well the Komatsu in the K-Bot shipshop which I built myself a ship to move on to from the free starter ship. all these ships in the shop I mentioned as well as my own only require the ores found in the safe zone so you don't have to risk anything to upgrade to them.

Its also worth noting the credit cost of buying a ship can be reduced if you craft the parts that ship needs in its construction.
and just for good measure in case you hadn't seen it Ive also made a video to help you pick up on a few things and show you around the stations.the game hasn't changed too much since it started so a lot fo this is still relevant and there may just well be a few more shops than shown here:

Hope all this helps you on your space journey fellow endo and welcome to the community

I am not using easy build or creative mode. The starter ship id fully being upgraded in space. And I need ability to create blueprints / prefabs from it for saving multiple ship revisions.

Also the contributions to same blueprint from different people is natural in games like Space Engineers, Empyrion Galactic Survival, Avorion and similar. I do not see problem with that. There always will be people who will want to pay in-game money for complete blueprint and skip ship design themselves. And the signature of blueprint from the ship designer author can be always saved for authoring purposes. So the copycat permissions and re-sale of blueprints could be controled.

Kenetor

Master endo
I am not using easy build or creative mode. The starter ship id fully being upgraded in space. And I need ability to create blueprints / prefabs from it for saving multiple ship revisions.

Also the contributions to same blueprint from different people is natural in games like Space Engineers, Empyrion Galactic Survival, Avorion and similar. I do not see problem with that. There always will be people who will want to pay in-game money for complete blueprint and skip ship design themselves. And the signature of blueprint from the ship designer author can be always saved for authoring purposes. So the copycat permissions and re-sale of blueprints could be controled.
I er... KNOW you're not using easy build mode, because er... you said so and I said that's what you're doing wrong!
you said you want to be able to clone or reprint a ship, as I just said you can but you have to use the ship designer first, that's literally what it is there for.

And yes people DO buy and sell blueprints, and at some point, the game will support this officially, but that will be up to the seller of said blueprint and not the person wanting to buy it.