Ship Classification Guide

Ship Classification Guide
While it is completely up to the discretion of any faction to establish the parameters of ship classification, I thought I would share the different categories by which we at Paragon Technologies divide our ships. Bear in mind that the methods we use may not perfectly mirror real life, but they still function for our purposes.

Some factions may choose to use a prefix for their ships. At Paragon Technologies, our ships come with the prefix PTS which stands for "Paragon Technologies' Ship"

Ships are first divided into designations (which will be denoted in bold for the sake of clarity) which indicate the purpose of the ship. There are numerous military and civilian ship designations.
Examples of various ship designations are as follows:
- Carrier
- Yacht
- Fighter
- Hauler
etc.

Next, ships are divided into classes (which will be denoted in italics). A ship's class is comparable with the model of a car. For instance, one might build a type of frigate called the Tomahawk in a specific model. If one were to continue to create these ships of the same model, they would all be considered Tomahawk class frigates. The name of a ship class is determined by the first ship constructed of said class.
Examples of various ship classes are as follows:
- Tomahawk
- Gerald R. Ford

- Nimitz
etc.

Lastly, ships are given individual names (denoted in underlines). Ship names are independent to a single vessel and do not necessarily have any parameters. Individual names of ships are mostly less standardized. Some groups, however, may choose to theme their names based on the ship's class. An example of this would be to name all vessels of the Tomahawk class after various weapons.

An example of a full ship name would be as follows:
PTS Sabre
Tomahawk-Class Frigate

We at Paragon Technologies hope this guide has been useful to you. If you have any suggestions to make this guide better, feel free to leave them in the comments.
Happy Travels!

-
Tharnanien
Chief Designer
Paragon Technologies

Attachments

Last edited:
I will go about establishing a more comprehensive guide on the various designations and classes of ships based on what we have established at Paragon Technologies. Thank you for the suggestion!

Kenetor

Master endo
I think a from scratch based on size, weight and armament specifically for this game would be better.
But we cant really start this untill EA and even then things are bound to change

I have a full list already based on size and armament according to what we know currently. Obviously they'll change as the game does but I have things set in stone already

DrunkRussianBear

Chancellor of the Argentavian Federation
I'm having a feeling every faction will have different classifications and a true universal one will never be accepted.

Morrgard

Master endo
I'm having a feeling every faction will have different classifications and a true universal one will never be accepted.
I would imagine so too, however, I think it is good to have a list out there for those who don't yet have a classification system. Also those who like to just go in smaller groups & solo

The idea of this list isn't to necessarily be accepted, this is simply a template for those who wish to use it. I don't imagine anything being accepted as universal in the community, but I do believe there will be a general acceptance at least at the designation level of whats what (bombers drop bombs, freighters haul cargo, etc.)

CalenLoki

Master endo
I'm just waiting for "battleships" and "dreadnoughts" under 100m :D

If you come with something reasonable, I wouldn't mind using it. Or even better invite some bigger factions to discussion. If they feel like classification is (partially) their creation, maybe they'll care about using it.

Morrgard

Master endo

If you come with something reasonable, I wouldn't mind using it. Or even better invite some bigger factions to discussion. If they feel like classification is (partially) their creation, maybe they'll care about using it.
Even without the larger factions doing it, there are many smaller ones that don't bother with making one and would love to make use of something like this if they were permitted too, there won't be any shortage of use on this, even still they could take bits and pieces out of it.

So it would not go unnoticed but be helpful one way or another :)

Sendall

Active endo
It's an interesting proposal. Whilst I feel most people will just use their own designations I think an attempt at creating a nomenculture that allows easier trade could benefit the community. However it needs to be simple enough that people will actually follow it.

Fingle

Active endo
This would definitely be helpful for distributing ship blueprints. I wonder just how popular that business will be. Good Idea though.

I also feel that there will be some factions out there that create such wacky looking ships that they won't fall into any classification besides eyesore
HEY!
The Cross Fury may be a bunch of Rail Cannons strapped to an over-sized RCS frame, but even as an Artillery ship I doubt it will be an EYESORE!
Indeed, with the current limit being something around 100-150m for something the Developers themselves call a FRIGATE, we're going to have trouble at the upper ends.

DrunkRussianBear

Chancellor of the Argentavian Federation
It's an interesting proposal. Whilst I feel most people will just use their own designations I think an attempt at creating a nomenculture that allows easier trade could benefit the community. However it needs to be simple enough that people will actually follow it.
Needs to also be accepted by any major militaries.