Should SB devs wipe economy prior to 1.0?

Should SB devs wipe economy prior to 1.0?

• Total voters

Erador

Well-known endo
I chose middle option, but from my opinion, it should be wiped not because of joining community, but because the economy now is kinda at "starting" point. Everything should be restarted with new, well working economy.

Vanidar

Well-known endo
FB themselves have said that the game, and thus the economy, isn't functioning until they get some pretty big features in and they don't want to put in stopgaps to fix that in the short term. That's fair. However, in the meantime, people are making incredible amounts of money due to the most profitable $/hour being in the safezone with no sinks or risk required. People who start later on when ships explode more often and this starter zone ore is devalued are going to be in an unfair situation competing with these people that are 24/7 farming safe zone chard in their 500 crate miners.

EA is EA and as everyone loves to remind us, alpha us alpha. When we get to 1.0, a wipe is the only fair way to proceed.

Last edited:

Agonarch

Active endo
Yeah I was told at one point that the NPC prices were supposed to be based on recent lows on the AH, so chard wouldn't be pinned up by the NPC prices later on if that's the case.

I think significant changes to the economy are eventually going to force a wipe, as hard as they might try, as much as I'd personally like to keep my stuff, I can't see how they'd manage it (I'd love to be wrong and get to keep my stuff!)

YellowDucky

Well-known endo
If they wipe the economy, we deserve to at least keep our blueprints. As for new players, part of the ways mmos thrive is having old players act as mentors, which cant happen as easily if theres a wipe.

Vanidar

Well-known endo
If they wipe the economy, we deserve to at least keep our blueprints. As for new players, part of the ways mmos thrive is having old players act as mentors, which cant happen as easily if theres a wipe.
100% safe mining of chard pinned up by a never-ending static price at the ore tower with no sink and no risk over the course of months is going to present a hellish competition for new people when the economy fundamentally and significantly changes in the future. We're not talking they're just behind, they're behind and also the environment and rules have *significantly* changed in ways you can't just balance post-facto.

Come on, you can still mentor someone without hundreds of millions of credits generated in a broken economy. "SSC is that way, replace fuel rods from the back of your Laborer" are all free. We all know you will be acquiring credits extremely quickly relative to them anyway, so if you actually wanted to help strictly monetarily to some of these new guys, you and I both know that you could. To be blunt, I think most of us are just being selfish and don't want to give up credits obtained in a warped economy over doing something for the overall health of the game in the future.

Keeping blueprints and designs does seem fair, though.

I'll also say that when/if FB decides that an economic wipe is necessary (which I personally believe is unavoidable), they should announce that decision ASAP to be transparent as possible.

Last edited:

Shulace

Well-known endo
Welcome to live access MMO games, no wipes when it goes public, EA or not, and if any happens it kills off more players than it gains. A wipe now or in the future will be like a DU 0.23 event.

Vanidar

Well-known endo
Welcome to live access MMO games, no wipes when it goes public, EA or not, and if any happens it kills off more players than it gains. A wipe now or in the future will be like a DU 0.23 event.
Where is your objective data for this? You don't get to prophesize doomsday without addressing specific points of everything already discussed. Why?

If we're just talking anecdotally and out our ass, if all my considerable credits gets wiped, I'd be more than happy and continue playing with all the new faces I'd be more confident would stick around due to a fair footing.

Bracaster

Active endo
I predict that as we get closer to launch this poll will shift dramatically to the preferences for a wipe. I believe that bps would automatically be transferable as we own copies of our creations. Outside of a change in the bp format, our creations would be safe (provided we make backups of our ship autosave in designer). A tool in designer to export would be helpful there.

For the purposes of this discussion i think its important that we distinguish that the economy wipe would be separate from an total account wipe. Meaning that only inventory and credit assets are reset ( perhaps the map ). My choice was initially the middle option, however with this consideration in mind (as well as points made by fellow patrons), i feel an economy wipe does really make sense. Particularly if my skill progression and designer creations could be preserved. This was part where i had initially preferred they didn't in second option.

Last edited:
Guys, why "wipe" when you can "soft wipe" and go with "no promises broken" ?

When 1.0 arrives, add some PVE activity that rewards 10x ore(by mining huge roids) and credits(by some kind of PVE stuff you do). Holala everything that people have accumulated doesn't matter anymore as it's pennies. NPC prices don't matter as no one gonna sell to NPC, real economy kicks in.

In short, just add 3 zeroes to everything...

You still keep all your stuff etc and all your prints

When 1.0 arrives, add some PVE activity that rewards 10x ore(by mining huge roids) and credits(by some kind of PVE stuff you do). Holala everything that people have accumulated doesn't matter anymore as it's pennies. NPC prices don't matter as no one gonna sell to NPC, real economy kicks in.

You do know why this wouldn't work, right?

Vanidar

Well-known endo

Adding "3 zeros to everything" and in an attempt to make "everything people have accumulated not matter anymore" would essentially be like wiping their credits away anyway due to massive reduction in buying power per credit this would cause. Why not just take the simple route and directly address the issue and perform a economic wipe (keeping BPs) instead of a half-measure that maintains and injects massive deflation into a distorted economy most of us are agreeing is a problem in the first place?

Last edited:
Inflation is not a good thing, which is what you propose. What is needed right now is a money source, because the deflation is driven by so few money sources that money itself is scarce.

Shulace

Well-known endo
Where is your objective data for this? You don't get to prophesize doomsday without addressing specific points of everything already discussed. Why?

If we're just talking anecdotally and out our ass, if all my considerable credits gets wiped, I'd be more than happy and continue playing with all the new faces I'd be more confident would stick around due to a fair footing.
Dual Universe is my data for this lol, their 0.23 patch was effectively a wipe.

Vanidar

Well-known endo
Dual Universe is my data for this lol, their 0.23 patch was effectively a wipe.
Dual Universe had a *lot* of other issues, so it's my contention the wipe wasn't the primary cause of players leaving. Plenty of games wipe when they launch from a beta or EA and there's no large adverse effect.

Please try to address people's posts in their entirety that speak to what you say rather than cherry picking a question here or there at a time.

Shulace

Well-known endo
Dual Universe had a *lot* of other issues, so it's my contention the wipe wasn't the primary cause of players leaving. Plenty of games wipe when they launch from a beta or EA and there's no large adverse effect.

Please try to address people's posts in their entirety that speak to what you say rather than cherry picking a question here or there at a time.
What else needs addressing? Would you rather people being rewarded for the time and effort they put into a game or the devs wiping it all, those folks leave, and the same thing happens again anew, albeit with far smaller player base and a dead game?