Space mines

Killer_Rabbit

Veteran endo
So obviously space mines will be possible but the trouble is they can't be too big else ships won't go into them. However you could attach manoeuvring thrusters to move it closer to a ship but the only trouble is tryiny to hide it but it appears there are explosive elements in the game.

CalenLoki

Master endo
There are missile components that could theoretically work for this. Warhead and proximity fuse. So just making thrusterless rockets should do the trick.

We don't know much about torpedoes, but I guess they'll provide even more complex options with yolol card sockets.

I would suggest missiles that float in space and use some sort of detection device when to fire and where to aim to attack the ship.
Might not work with the ig rockets and torpedos but defenetly with DIY rockets. just dont think they will be all that usefull...

Verbatos

Veteran endo
Someone would probably just stick proximity sensors on a frame full of warheads, they did say that you could program missiles and torpedoes to detonate at certain times, so I'd think this was the best option.

Amos.37

Veteran endo
I'm just imagining testing said minefield (or clearing it) by building a large panel, sticking some thrusters to it, launching it at the minefield, and sitting back to watch the fireworks. Would be a quick way to clear a path, just follow the debris path from the panel.

Verbatos

Veteran endo
I'm just imagining testing said minefield (or clearing it) by building a large panel, sticking some thrusters to it, launching it at the minefield, and sitting back to watch the fireworks. Would be a quick way to clear a path, just follow the debris path from the panel.
Wouldn't the panel both be expensive and break a short way into the field?

just shoot with something like a flag cannon into the direction you want to fly if you want to clear a path. would probably destroy all mines

Amos.37

Veteran endo
Wouldn't the panel both be expensive and break a short way into the field?
Doesn't really matter if it breaks up, the whole point is to hit mines anyway. Not like I'm planning on reusing it!
And depends on the size of the field I guess, and what is needed to actually set off a mine. If a sizable chunk of debris is enough, then I'm all set!
Although cost may be an issue. Flak cannon would probably be cheaper. But not as fun!

Killer_Rabbit

Veteran endo
No but I mean I can't imagine the missiles can detect particularly long range and on the missiles with the range finder have a flat head which would suggest it only goes in a single direction

CalenLoki

Master endo
Fair assumption. Fuse range is probably around explosion radius size. Which is pretty small, unless we get fragmentation wearheads.
Flat head can easily mean hemisphere.

I though of them more as mines you drop to make life harder for someone chasing you, or in a gate/tunnel at stations. For that short range wouldn't be that big of a problem.
Attempt to block any reasonable open 3d space with mines seems like pretty overpriced ineffective weapon.

Killer_Rabbit

Veteran endo
Lets say you had a base in part of the asteroid ring then you could have mines throughout the area and even have them hidden in (if they have a big enough explosion) in the asteroids or just floating throughout as that is a restricted space for movement

PopeUrban

Veteran endo
Lets say you had a base in part of the asteroid ring then you could have mines throughout the area and even have them hidden in (if they have a big enough explosion) in the asteroids or just floating throughout as that is a restricted space for movement
Bolt a reciever, rangefinder, and missile rack to some asteroids with a cheap YOLOL chip that just launches the missiles when the rangefinder is tripped, and disables the launcher when a specific transmitter is in range.

Now you can move through the asteroids safely but anyone that isn't you would have to make a lot of noise blowing up asteroids and/or getting shot by missiles. You could move the defenses to new asteroids as you mine out the old ones with a cargo web and just bolt them on.

Verbatos

Veteran endo
Bolt a reciever, rangefinder, and missile rack to some asteroids with a cheap YOLOL chip that just launches the missiles when the rangefinder is tripped, and disables the launcher when a specific transmitter is in range.

Now you can move through the asteroids safely but anyone that isn't you would have to make a lot of noise blowing up asteroids and/or getting shot by missiles. You could move the defenses to new asteroids as you mine out the old ones with a cargo web and just bolt them on.
That's a good idea, except that you'll need to take into account the energy it would require to run a system like that, generators would be expensive and would need to be manually stocked up and if you had renewable energy like solar panels, they could just be shot off from outside the range of the missiles

PopeUrban

Veteran endo
That's a good idea, except that you'll need to take into account the energy it would require to run a system like that, generators would be expensive and would need to be manually stocked up and if you had renewable energy like solar panels, they could just be shot off from outside the range of the missiles

Have to see the coefficients but I'd wager that a system with no thrusters, a few rockets, and a small amount of electronics could probably obtain decent battery life. Be silly to run it on a generator.

The whole system could be shot from outside its firing range anyway. that's why you put it in an asteroid field. the idea is that the target doesn't see it until it flies past the asteroid, and is then forces after taking one salvo to tiptoe through the minefield or waste ton of time blowing up asteroids to ensure their safety.

Remember the primary purpose of any minefield isn't to kill the enemy. Its to limit their mobility.

Last edited:
The cost of setting up an efficient minefield in space would probably be prohibitive.

Mining a certain strip of sea or land is possible because in terms of coverage you are dealing with a 2D surface and the environment lends itself to concealment (burying the device on land, and submerging it at sea).

The issue in space is that
a) you are dealing with a 3D volume so coverage is exponentially more expensive (which is only compounded by the fact there isn't exactly an abundance of natural obstacles in space that would reliably make ships favor a certain route rather than another)
b) the device has to have to ability conceal itself built in, most likely further increasing it's sophistication and cost, unless there is some sort of cheap stealth plating readily available in the starbase universe.

I agree the idea of space mines is very cool, however even if you can make a functional space mine, you're probably still better off putting your payloads in missiles or torpedoes instead.

In terms of passive area denial, some sort of automated turret or sleeper drone sounds more practical, save for the fact whatever code they are running is processing a single line every 2 seconds making target acquisition a challenge to say the least. Maybe with a simple "detect and fire" code and self-guided missiles it could work?

Last edited:

PopeUrban

Veteran endo
Every 0.2s. so at short range and low target velocity it should be doable.

As for coverage, remember we've been told that torpedos are a thing coming up, and unlike missiles (which are actually unguided rockets) they can autonomously seek targets. I'm guessing torpedos are probably much slower moving to allow players the attempt at shotting them down.

Assuming the torpedos are cost effective, You could probably get some pretty respectable coverage with some automated torpedo platforms, and the fact people have to shoot down the torpedos with also make it pretty effective at limiting enemy mobility and ensuring they announce their presence.