Starbase Progress Notes: Week 48 (2021)

AuraFB

Community Manager
Frozenbyte
_Forum_ProgressNotes_header.png

Hello everyone, here are the progress notes of the week 48 of 2021!

This week's progress notes show all the major the features, additions and improvements currently in the works. The features have been roughly divided into categories and in the beginning, we list both new and recently completed items from the past two weeks. We hope that you enjoy these snippets of the Starbase development!

Please note that the "Progress Notes" are different from the Starbase "Patch Notes". Progress Notes are snippets from the development team and what has been worked on during the previous week, and many of the features might not be present in the current or upcoming builds of the Starbase Early Access. Some features, especially in the design portion, can be subject to change as the development continues.

_Forum_ProgressNotes_divider.png

Starbase Progress Notes: Week 48 (2021)

Below we have listed the different states, and an explanation of what that state means in terms of development process.
Design: first phase of development
Art: done after designing of the feature, but can be done either before, after or at same time with programming.
Programming: programmer implements the feature based on design
Configuration: feature is technically done but a designer needs to configure it
QA: feature is technically done but needs testing. May happen before or after configuration.
The weeks marked in the "Time in development" column show only the active development weeks during which the feature has been worked on and include all phases of development. The time is rounded up to weeks, so in other words, if one day has been spent on a feature during the week, it still counts. Therefore, please treat the week counter as a rough estimate only.

Completed in the past two weeks
Starbase_progress_notes_week_48_001.png

In Progress

New
Starbase_progress_notes_week_48_002.png

Moons
Starbase_progress_notes_week_48_003.png

Capital Ships
Starbase_progress_notes_week_48_004.png

Siege
Starbase_progress_notes_week_48_005.png

Spaceships
Starbase_progress_notes_week_48_006.png

Stations and Build Mode
Starbase_progress_notes_week_48_007.png

Devices, machines and tools
Starbase_progress_notes_week_48_008.png

Combat
Starbase_progress_notes_week_48_009.png

Other
Starbase_progress_notes_week_48_010.png

Gallery

SB_progress_notes_w48_billboard_test_concept_01.jpg SB_progress_notes_w48_casual_lights_wip_01.jpg
SB_progress_notes_w48_paint_tool_colors_01.jpg SB_progress_notes_w48_torpedoes_01.jpg
SB_progress_notes_w48_new_ice_ore_01.jpg

Videos

_Forum_ProgressNotes_divider.png

Purchase Starbase Early Access now on Steam!

hi to all devs, i have one question why for the building feature you can't do like the gravity gun in "Gmod" game? holding a single button you can rotate the object on all axes? is more simple like that instead holding X or Z or Y and move the mouse.. no?

SubaruSama

Veteran endo
I'm so waiting for the moon surface stuff
and ball turrets^^
and if you put that endo right in front of the billboard it would totally look like it was on display and just waiting to be sold^^

wyattmoon

Learned-to-sprint endo
hi to all devs, i have one question why for the building feature you can't do like the gravity gun in "Gmod" game? holding a single button you can rotate the object on all axes? is more simple like that instead holding X or Z or Y and move the mouse.. no?
gonna have to agree with this one. I think this is how it used to be a few patches ago.

not liking the new rotate system at all. too complicated for too simple a task

wyattmoon

Learned-to-sprint endo
This is looking good. I want as many light variations as possible for my station.

Only thing missing so far is alarm spinning lights , strobes , and emergency floor guide lights that point you in a direction

wyattmoon

Learned-to-sprint endo
It's boring to have no updates for more than a month.
i would expect a bit of a longer wait.

almost all the features in dev right now seem to play off each other

cap ships need special ores that need refining , and refining isnt even at PTU yet.

Many of the ores need mining from moon surface.

Cap ships are pointless until hangers are available for them to make them carry ships. and we dont have those even for stations yet.

The list is long but its going to be a boring few weeks/months on live server i think. But its much better if they wait , polish it up , and drop the game changing meta all at once instead of dripping incompatible/broken features on the live server

shado20

Veteran endo
time in development...???
why not an ETA on completion, some items may only take a week or 2 to make and complete and others take years like item v2... whats the eta on this?

wyattmoon

Learned-to-sprint endo
time in development...???
why not an ETA on completion, some items may only take a week or 2 to make and complete and others take years like item v2... whats the eta on this?
i would say that ETA cant really be measured.

if inventory v2 has been in development so long , how many people are working on it compared to other features ect?

mikan

Well-known endo
i would expect a bit of a longer wait.

almost all the features in dev right now seem to play off each other

cap ships need special ores that need refining , and refining isnt even at PTU yet.

Many of the ores need mining from moon surface.

Cap ships are pointless until hangers are available for them to make them carry ships. and we dont have those even for stations yet.

The list is long but its going to be a boring few weeks/months on live server i think. But its much better if they wait , polish it up , and drop the game changing meta all at once instead of dripping incompatible/broken features on the live server
I know that each feature cannot be implemented individually ... but that doesn't matter. I'm tired of digging ore. Because the same thing is repeated. I dug the moon at PTU, but soon got tired of it. Because it doesn't remain at hand.

I want a new stimulus that can be a small feature or a feature under test.

Kenetor

Master endo
I know that each feature cannot be implemented individually ... but that doesn't matter. I'm tired of digging ore. Because the same thing is repeated. I dug the moon at PTU, but soon got tired of it. Because it doesn't remain at hand.

I want a new stimulus that can be a small feature or a feature under test.
well cap ships just got expansions, so you could spend a week or 2 making something massive!

mikan

Well-known endo
No, I don't make things with PTU. PTU mackerel that you can get infinite materials is boring.

Kenetor

Master endo
No, I don't make things with PTU. PTU mackerel that you can get infinite materials is boring.
you say you are bored and need something to do, its a legit option to do something creative and help out in testing at the same time

mikan

Well-known endo
you say you are bored and need something to do, its a legit option to do something creative and help out in testing at the same time
At PTU, I want to test features that can be played in a short amount of time, but I don't want to test tasks that take a long time. The work result remains only in the PTU. For long-term testing, run it on your production server.