Steam price release suggestion...

Idea for your marketing team.. make the game 15$ to start on release for a week as a promotional.. that will get people drawn in and afterwards up the price to whatever you had planned originally.. the more people that can get the game in that time the more the word gets out.. too many games try to get too much at once and barely get anyone to buy it.. its better to have more sales at a lower price then fewer at a higher price.. plus games like this are more likely to reach crowds that can actually afford it.

Venixer

Well-known endo
I heard it will be under $40 USD from rumors and a channel mod on discord. But its all just rumor.

even 40 is a bit much but the point is to draw people in so there is actually a player base for people to play with but also acts as free advertisement

Commissar Awesome

Learned-to-sprint endo
40 dollars is more than fair for an innovative game like this. People spent thousands if dollars on ships for the Star Citizen scam and Starbase is basically a voxel version of what they promised and actually real.

yea but Im talking about reaching a far greater market then just people to work for a living.. making it affordable for 1 week isnt going to kill them I used to work with marketing on another indie game developer and they did fantastic after that not just did they draw in more but they even got other people outside the lower tier bracket to get the game as well.. basically its like steam doing a % off sell but on release and if a week is too long for them..then 3 days.. 3 days and I can almost guarantee they get a ton of sales

Kimsemus

Well-known endo
$39.99 seems solid, but I wouldn't mind paying $59.99 or something for a Collector's Edition with some cosmetics and stuff though to support the game.

Pulz

Learned-to-sprint endo
I'd pay a AAA price for this- and I'm fairly sure the majority of the community (especially those coming from WA) would be too.

That said, price isn't going to be more than $40 (at least at EA) according to all the chatter.

Kane Hart

Veteran endo
Great idea on $40. Seems quite fair for a game of this scale especially in a MMO Sense with no Item Malls, etc.

Honestly maybe even more around $80 :)

Morrgard

Master endo
I would not mind what they put the price as long as it is not monthly.

Monthly paid games are something that turns me off from playing any game.

Vexus

Master endo
There is something to be said about "full price" at $59.99. A lot of people pass on any game which only values itself at $15, even though it's accessible, numerically, to a wider audience. It's just not a 'valuable purchase' when the game is only delivering $15 worth of content - and it could be an amazing game with much more valuable content. The fact the devs valued it so low just makes people shrug it off. "It can't be that good."

I'm not certain the best price but too low is as bad as too high, and "full price" games like NMS sold many copies. My guess at good pricing (good for the game and good for the company) would be 'full price' with a $15-20 discount for the first week or two.

I paid $75 to get into Elite: Dangerous early. I barely played the game after a while as there was really nothing to do but navigate menus and look at samey-stars. But I had no issue paying that considering I supported their vision for a space sim.

Azelous

Veteran endo
I think this is depended on how many players they're looking for at Early Release. Lower prices for Early Release would lead to more players, however if they're looking to draw in as much as they can for full release when they're more confident in game mechanics they shouldn't have low prices. I think this game has potential to be a smash hit, but the response can be "meh" if the hype train is severely disappointed.

And you are basing your assumption on what source?

Truth is, Cheap games dont sell. Look at the statistics. Just because you are thinking it will increase sales does not make likely.

Steam is a very grim place for indie devs:
According to Rose's estimates of sales on Steam, once he removes "the crap"—games he thinks never had a chance of selling at all—the average game on Steam will sell about 2000 copies and make $12,500 in revenue in its first month. The average game will make $30,000 in its first year.
Actually the opposite is the case. Increasing the price in comparison to the competition is resulting in more sales. Vlambeers games are never going on sales and do better than the ones who are reduced.

In general it would make suggesstions more productive if you would add some validity of your claim with sources and data.

Last edited:
$39.99 seems solid, but I wouldn't mind paying $59.99 or something for a Collector's Edition with some cosmetics and stuff though to support the game.
I would 100% do the same. Selling games for cheap like previously mentioned will just make people think it is lackluster. A 40$ price tag is low enough that more people will be able to afford it, but not low enough that it is ignored.

Kenetor

Master endo
$40 dollars is completely fine for a game of this scope, it "may" be slightly cheaper in EA because were the ones dealing with bugs and stuff but main release wont be lower and shouldnt be lower than $40 in my opinion, they still need to cover server/service costs as well for having an always online game.