Tractor beam clarification

Verbatos

Veteran endo
If I had a tractor beam on a light ship and I activated the tractor beam at a high speed, to attach to an object bigger than my ship, would I be able to swing my ship around the point the beam is attached to, or would I lock in place?

Amos.37

Veteran endo
Honestly no idea, but I have a hard time imagining that the physics will be that comprehensive. I feel more likely you will need to be stationary to activate the tractor beam, the beam will simply not lock on, or, my personal favorite, the tractor beam hardpoint (and surrounding plating) would be ripped off your ship.
But would be awesome if you could use them as a sort of grappling hook, all 1970s batmobile style. I just don't think it will be possible.

CalenLoki

Master endo
Technically it's quite easy, as tractor beam just apply force to an object, and hopefully equal force of opposite direction is applied to tractor beam. Any decent game physics can do that.

So I think attempt to swing will end up ripping off either tractor beam or the point it grabbed. Most likely the grabbed point, because you'd probably maximally reinforce ship frame around tractor beam.

sweer

Active endo
Dont quote me on this but I think that you would stop the object and be able to pull it, but it would use a massive amount of energy.