You know what would make players more likely to leave the origin safe zone?

Foraven

Veteran endo
One ideas I have been thinking about for some time is why most players stay around the origin stations. Sure, that can be attributed to the risk aversion of players, but that's not the only reason IMO. It's because we have the auction house there, available to all 30 origins. Everyone wants to sell and buy their stuff there due to how convenient it is.

But what if we removed it from Origin? Or restricted what can be sold in Origin AH? There would be a good reason to venture out. The trading hub would be elsewhere then, players would have to go out to buy and sell stuff for higher price.

What do we do for the new players then if they can buy stuff from the AH? Just re-enable the shops. Sell all the basic T1 and some T2 stuff, but for the higher end modules you need to go elsewhere. That would make players outgrow the origin safe zone and want to venture out.

What do you think?

Nothing will get me to leave the safezone besides being ready to leave the safezone, If anything further restrictions would just make me entrench myself even deeper in origin.

I'm working on getting to that point and im excited to take those risks in the future.

Last edited:

ZombieMouse

Well-known endo
Although a lot of the regulars here might take it for granted, from my conversations with randoms it seems most players do not even know Markka exists.

If everybody knew there was a station with lower AH tax then players would use it. They just have no idea it's there.

Helping players get to Markka and leaving the safe-zone in general is the idea behind this project:
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/icarus-project/discussions/0/3283695222728302894/

ChaosRifle

Veteran endo
The PvP is shit right now, and while I wholeheartedly think SB can be amazing for pvp, currently, its fucking awful. Forcing it now is a bad idea.

So I'm always going to be a mostly PVE player as someone who primarily designs ships, so I'm not sure if i count but one thing that would 100% get me to leave the safezone would be a location where we could have ship battles in an arena where the general station is protected by a safezone in a pvp area.

You'd be able to work on your ships there either pre-fight or after to lick your wounds or celebrate victory, Ships could be lost in that the parts can be destroyed or entirely erased by explosions/etc, Several categories could exist starting with 1v1 and perhaps some basic weight classes to keep things fair.

Would have time slots where people could register open events/rent the space for their own events for non standard battles like miner vs miner/etc.

This could easily be at a player station somwehere too and i plan to try and create such a place if i make it that far but until then i really like this idea and where it could take pvp especially if there's an official location.

Foraven

Veteran endo
So I'm always going to be a mostly PVE player as someone who primarily designs ships, so I'm not sure if i count but one thing that would 100% get me to leave the safezone would be a location where we could have ship battles in an arena where the general station is protected by a safezone in a pvp area.
Seem you just described the Robur station :). 100 km from Origin one.

Seem you just described the Robur station :). 100 km from Origin one.
What kind of function does Robur have? Is it just open pvp in the middle of the station?
I feel there needs to be alternatives to simply murdering people, sports-like if you will.

Last edited:

Foraven

Veteran endo
Robur has ship design and access to the Origin inventory and auction house. The buildings are inside a safe zone, but everything else around is PVP zone. I think the surrounding PVP zone is like 5km or so. Would need to check that out.

Robur has ship design and access to the Origin inventory and auction house. The buildings are inside a safe zone, but everything else around is PVP zone. I think the surrounding PVP zone is like 5km or so. Would need to check that out.
Its still cool and ill probably go out there when i have some expendable pvp ships to test out, I don't want to be difficult but do want to express some of the things that would motivate my style of play to break out of the norms a bit and engage with other parts of the playerbase.

Still going to keep hoping for that structured solution going forward sitting back and watching the battle-bot esque hilariousness on xyz stream covering the arena at any given time :p

thanks for the info on the station btw, these things help a lot with considering going somewhere dangerous.

Although a lot of the regulars here might take it for granted, from my conversations with randoms it seems most players do not even know Markka exists.

If everybody knew there was a station with lower AH tax then players would use it. They just have no idea it's there.

Helping players get to Markka and leaving the safe-zone in general is the idea behind this project:
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/icarus-project/discussions/0/3283695222728302894/
I've only heard minor details about this project but it seems really awesome, I look forward to seeing it with my own eyes.

Foraven

Veteran endo
Its still cool and ill probably go out there when i have some expendable pvp ships to test out, I don't want to be difficult but do want to express some of the things that would motivate my style of play to break out of the norms a bit and engage with other parts of the playerbase.
I think also having a tow ship to bring back your ship wreaks would also be needed if you don't want to re-buy everything each time you are defeated.

Foraven

Veteran endo
I think they already did make a change that might make quite a few players leave for the moon. The graveyard is back, and the moon City now has it's own auction house and ship designer. The moon may become the next home of many players.

Last edited:

pavvvel

Veteran endo
I agree that need to add reasons to the game and even the need to leave the safe zone. But first devs need to give the players normal control of the ship (mouse,joy). Flying using only the keyboard is sad. Imagine, for example, the "counter strike" Game without a mouse.

DivineEvil

Well-known endo
One thing that I believe you pointed out correctly is that Origin should be more of a staging ground for new players. The only other alternative is to instead give the players a choice between different moons as starting locations with their individual scarcities, so that traders and transporters would be able to earn their share by simply moving the stuff around, with the Eos working as an intermediate hub for trade and player interactions, without having much abundance of resources of its own.

In the end the desire to move elsewhere depends mostly on the opportunities. If there's nothing to do and nothing to get from other locations, then there's no reason to go there. Origin offers almost everything there's to have, and Elysium moon provides the little of what's left. The question of the AH and NPC shop is a whole different matter requiring its own topic for discussion, but in short there's simply no point in having them elsewhere specifically because Origin is inhabited by the majority of the active players, so it is easier to find buyers than to bid it elsewhere. Maybe the new infrastructure at Elysium city would change that.

Colonkin

Active endo
One thing that I believe you pointed out correctly is that Origin should be more of a staging ground for new players. The only other alternative is to instead give the players a choice between different moons as starting locations with their individual scarcities, so that traders and transporters would be able to earn their share by simply moving the stuff around, with the Eos working as an intermediate hub for trade and player interactions, without having much abundance of resources of its own.

In the end the desire to move elsewhere depends mostly on the opportunities. If there's nothing to do and nothing to get from other locations, then there's no reason to go there. Origin offers almost everything there's to have, and Elysium moon provides the little of what's left. The question of the AH and NPC shop is a whole different matter requiring its own topic for discussion, but in short there's simply no point in having them elsewhere specifically because Origin is inhabited by the majority of the active players, so it is easier to find buyers than to bid it elsewhere. Maybe the new infrastructure at Elysium city would change that.
You are correct. But first, developers need to do a number of things:
1) Introduce a cargo container for products into the game. Even if it is larger than the largest detail in the game. It would be logical. Each part has a volume in kv. This container should also have volume and be filled with parts and ores.
2) Finally make a normal market. Because the current auction is a parody of it. Why was it necessary to separate lots with the same price? (there is a simple principle - first come - first sold). Why can't I place a buy order? (This is true for both miners and manufacturers. Some see a need, while others do not need to constantly monitor the market).Why ignore the previous experience of other games and make such a poor auction interface?
3) Allow players to place a market on their stations. Even in the form of a very very expensive module with the maximum size of the station. Placement requirements can be balanced.

shado20

Veteran endo
the reason no one has been leaving safe zone till now is there was no reason to do so. you could not live out there. once the game gets built up, players move out it will change. but in all reality, the game just started with this last big patch!

Tomasz

Well-known endo
Everythiong comes down to a fact that there is no economy at all. All resources are ridicolously abundant and easly avaible everywhere, and produced parts aren't more valuable than resources they are produced out of(mostly).
Since there is nothging to figh over ships aren;t destroyed and produced, that again would be required to run economy,
There are no trade hubs outside of safezone, no fights over territory, becouse there is nothing to trade or fight over really.
Most efficient and easiest way is to just safely mine stuff to produce bigger mining ships.
I remember everyone was instincively exided about moon gate as a choke point to something more valuable - that factions would wan't to fight over.
But NOPE devs busiworked to make sure there is no choke point and noone can control acess to resources creating shortages.