Are robots good?

EllaFB

Community Manager
Frozenbyte
Did some moderation in this thread. Opinions allowed and welcomed, insulting other users not.

But back to the topic at hand. I like robots, but I would personally love if my robot had extra hands, I would probably hit the target better with four guns instead of one! Just kidding, I wouldn't.

I think there are a few issues they can completely skip by making the player character a Robot -

First would be the current political climate of Race and Gender, straight away it is a non-discussion in the context of Starbase.

Second is the fact that Humans are experts at identifying and judging the likeness of things that look like Humans, by going the route of using Robots they touch into the part of our brain that deals with the abstract, it is both more forgiving and taps into "suspension of disbelief".

Thirdly, and most importantly to me, is the fact it offers more gameplay options and it is just more fun overall, I've been a Human all my life, so let's try a Robot for a while.

Tumbla

Well-known endo
Come on guys, we all know the real reason we are robots in the game and not humans. So somebody cant go out and tell us this game is causing us to be violent IRL.

Im fine with being a robot, maybe some customization to make them look cooler instead of walking microwaves? yeah.

On the other hand based on evolution we will get to the human robots eventually.
evolution,-robots-165426.jpg

why not a robot, especially when you know how to squat, go to your knees and obviously also shoot from bed. Unlike human characters for five years in the early acces game of Empy ...
where the only fighting position is standing up and walking style like a fish on the beach. Give the robots a chance :cool:

Vampiricdust

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Because the game is based on Endoskeletons. Having biological species would mean having to explain why food, water, and oxygen isn't a thing. Those are not fun mechanics and distract from the game they want.

There are far more options sticking to endoskeletons than anything else. It sounds like a waste of time when the variations for robots is far greater.

I'm happy with robots. it makes sense too. They could add something like eve pods, small modules or something that contain the controlling humans. If they even plan to have humans controling them in law.

They could simply not add an oxygen/complex pressurization system.
But robots are the theme of the game- and they specifically have additional functionality that you just wouldn't achieve with a realism player model.

The fact we won't be playing humans also allows each encounter to integrate into the lore of the game. You died? Oh well, download into a new body and continue your story.

I just want to say that a robot also needs electricity so wouldn't it be cooler if u need a energy source for your robot. For example if ur energy is low u can not fly or you're slower

I'm not getting this odd association people have with having humanoids and suddenly requiring gore, food, and so on. This applies to the robots too. They need electricity, lubricants, and so on. Some of us, like me, would like humanoids. Idc if they're humans, I would like an organic being to play as however. I don't even care if they get debuffs, or negative attributes, or lesser stats than the robots.

totoro

Learned-to-sprint endo
The robots are canon remote controlled. Assuming a little ftl communication, that sounds super immersive to me.

TheMarksman

Veteran endo
Right, hang on. There's a very appropriate quote by Jimi
JimiFB (Art Director)Today at 20:58 My first day on the project.. CEO wanted me to model him a 1km long ship so after a month of working on that.. making the blueprint and modeling all rooms.. After 478 Bathrooms and cabins I thought that the scale is a bit too much and we started downsizing and I thought about robots.. humans have lots of bad features like the need to S**t so no toilets plez and they explode leaving blood everywhere.. = robots way more benefits too Also.. I started making concepts and assets for weaponry, tools, robots, and the CEO got inspiration from that to make other stuff. I basically helped him with the vision while it was mostly his ofc that is it in a nutshell
Also, on the topic of lore, you can read The Pilot Series and The Awakening Series, for both are written with what the Devs have said in mind on players controlling their endos.

Btw... I think some of you need the read the lore that is allready on the wiki.
It basicly says, that humans uploaded their beeing onto a network and controll the world throught their robots.
All humans are basicly dead but live on throught the network.