100 hours in CA, a comprehensive review.

NikofrankoV

Learned-to-sprint endo
So, after spending a hundred hours in starbase closed alpha and doing, pretty much everything there is to do, I feel like i can leave some feedback that can be actually helpful for the devs. About how the alpha feels, what are the definite strengths and what are some of the glaring weaknesses. So, without further adieu, here is my review, of Starbase CA after 100 hours of testing.

1: First impressions.

Punching a screen trying to progress the storyline for DOOM, swelling music and an inspiring montage of CIV series, The legendary horse carriage in Skyrim, The realisation that refunds are not accepted for Fallout 76. First impression, is at times more important than the game itself, and i am glad to say that starbase has an amazing first 10-15 minutes in-game. The menu music, although a bit too loud (stop making loud menu music gamedevs! Is there a conspiracy against our ears?!) is very well done, props to the composer for doing an amazing job! Once you open the menu, you see the station, see it's huge size from a side, only to log in and witness it enormous size first hand. Eos looks stunning, the music swells, you see even bigger stations out in the distance, spaceships whizzing by, even for CA, i am already getting what is promised, a station full of colors, activity and a sense of cosmic scale we all so dearly love. Starbase has one of the best first login impressions i had from a game in aloooong time, so a solid 10 there.

2: Beginner experience

Oof. Big oof. Once you are done gawking at the size of the station and wondered about for half an hour checking it out, it is time for you to discover the horror, that is box thruster grind. Yeah, yeah, i know, mining has already been buffed, but that does not fix the issue, the beginner job experience is so bad, that it literally, hurt me. I am not exaggerating. After the FIRST three hours of grinding, i had to stop, because my wrist hurt from repetitive motions. The situation is not helped that the first practical ship (tugger) is just a massive noob trap. Without batteries recharging at stations, this ship can pull off 1 mining trip, 2 if it does not go too far. After that, for a beginner - it's gone. You would need to manually replace batteries for new ones, and for someone who just started the game and has no clue what a wiring tool is? Impossible. So after getting the pointless beginner ship, you go to the store and see the price for the cheapest, actually good ship - 900.000. WHAT?! I will need to spend how much more time grinding?! four HOURS?! This would be an instant turn off from the game for me. There needs to be either a functioning cheaper ship for beginners, or a massive buff to the payouts of beginner jobs, I would much rather prefer the cheap ship option. I am not too concerned about this issue, as i know that the devs are already working on Demolitions job, and some others, to bring the desperately needed variety to the beginning stages of the game. Which is very good to know. However, as the CA is right now, it gets 1/10 for beginner experience. Space IKEA is more fitting as a punishment at Saltberia than a game tutorial that it was intended as. I personally recommend some devs to disable their infinite money and actually go through the grind to get a hauler, mostly as a revenge for my wrist :mad:

3: First spaceship.

With beginner experience so horrid, even the moment of buying your first ship (which is hopefully not a tugger) feels not like an earned reward, but more of a "Oh thank God i am out of that F******* place! Finally!". Once you take off in your ship, Starbase becomes a new game. It feels like discovering fire. After hours of bolting pointless things together, flying a ship feels heavenly. And even though the payout from your first few mining trips is FAR less then from grinding box thrusters, it is infinitely more fun and rewarding. For me, i was already part of a faction (The Empire) when starting out, which, i presume will not be the same for 99% of people starting out in EA, so my first trip to the asteroid belt was with a few friends. We took our hauler to the belt, got YEETED out couple of times, found some trash ore, marveled at the gorgeous sights of starbase, came back sold the whole thing for only like... 100.000 and were absolutely overjoyed at the experience. The experiences like that, even when alone, is where Starbase shines the most. You, even alone, going out there in the cosmos being a humble miner providing to the global economy and earning a few bucks in the process. With friends, the experience is ten times better. In any case, even though we earned much less than what we would have in space IKEA, we absolutely loved the experience, and i think that the best advise for devs from that - do not keep new players from getting hands on their first spaceship for long. As i said, first impressions matter, and the first flight is one of the very important aspects of that first impressions. First spaceship impression 9/10 (looking forward to the anti-YEET device)

4: Midgame?

I don't really know how to name this part, you have got your first ship, you mined a bunch and made your first million. You can now afford better ships and leave the safezone without the risk of going back to space IKEA. This is where the game actually starts. Now, the universe is yours. To an extent. Because for now, the only thing you can do, is mine. Which is fine, it's CA after all, but after 10-20 hours of mining, even with friends, you are going to get bored of endless "lootbox opening" that is asteroid mining. I can not WAIT for the asteroid collection lots to start working, so that we can have some variety in ship design and gameplay. For now, there is only 2 kinds of ships in starbase. Big box of boxes, for making money, and pew-pew yarr-harr i'm Bobo the pirate ship. Damn you bobo! And with piracy not being profitable at all, mining ships are practically all there is. So, as you can see, there is not really much to rate, or advise upon from here on now. You have hit the content wall. Which is, again, fine, this is Closed Alpha for a reason. Still though, there is plenty of fun to be had in the asteroid belt with friends, the mining is fun, the ships in the store are pretty pointless, but overall, the gameloop is entertaining, and you find yourself wanting to play more and that is just what you need at this stage, so yet again, good job guys! 7/10.

5: Lategame

The ship designer is the lategame. No, really. What else am i going to do with 75 million credits? Buy 153 billion gauss rifles? No, i am going to build the biggest! baddest ship money can buy! Yeah! Wooo! Ship designer! Here i come!... oh no... what are all of these buttons....
The ship designer is... at its early stages... i hope. It really needs a lot of quality of life improvements. A lot of people out right say they do not even want to touch it because of how complex it is. BUT! For me, being too complex, is good. I like having more options. What i do not like, is the designer being blender with bolts, wires, pipes and a part menu. Do not get me wrong, i can clearly see the ridiculous amount of work that went into it. The durability tool is amazing, whoever coded it - i love you, ask lauri for a raise, it looks like months of work. That being said. Ship designer needs love, a lot of love. The fact that autobolt does not autobolt is the prime example. manually adding a second bolt to every beam plate doubles, or sometimes triples the structural integrity! Why does autobolt not just put 4 bolt on every plate instead of 2? and WHY?! Why for the love of god! Does it not bolt ithe internals of the box thruster?! IT'S INFURIATING! (heavy breathing) But yeah, i do not see the point in rating the ship designer at this point, it is clearly still in the works and needs a lot of improvements, mainly - symmetry. OR. If symmetry is too hard to code, or perhaps not wanted for some reason - MIRROR TOOL. Please, devs.... please... i beg you.... A button that mirrors selection.... that is all i am asking for!

Last edited:

NikofrankoV

Learned-to-sprint endo
6: Performance and looks

I do not think my opinion will matter in this regard. I have a pretty beefy gaming rig and it runs practically anything, so starbase runs smooth as butter and only crashed once or twice. The game starts to struggle only when there are 10-20 people in one cell, which is fine if you remember that Space Engineers servers crap themselves even at those numbers. during some Imperial convoys we got 80+ people in one zone. it was rough, but the game handled it, and i managed to have dogfights just fine in those conditions. In short - i am very satisfied with performance.
What? Have you seen EAs of space engineers? Dual universe? DayZ? First version Skyrim? Star citizen? The dreaded triple A release of Fallout 76? All these games are far worse in performance compared to Starbase CA. And that holds a lot of promise for the future.
Oh yeah, and Starbase is stunning. Overall - 10/10

7: Community

Amazing. One of the best communities i've seen for games. Other than general chat, it even seems that discord mods are out of a job. Creative, productive and for the most part good natured. Although we do tend to worship anything and anyone at first opportunity, Praise our lord and savior Pip! \o/ (Bob, Emperor, Bread, Kraken and the almighty unforgiving YEET-lord of starbase, may thy craft be blessed by the yeet lord and ye shall not yeet at max speed!) Amazing. Keep it up guys! 10/10

Conclusion of the wall of text

At this point, you have beaten the game. Now you make your own fun. You make ships, pirate, participate in Imperial events, (maybe one day kingdom will realise CA is out) discover moons. I've done it all, other than the moons. And overall, i liked what i saw. Starbase is clearly the labor of love. It shows, the effort devs are putting in is obvious and it really reflects on the game. Even though what we see right now is very barebones and far from perfect, we all see the potential and cannot wait so see the player driven economy and screenshots with 100+ players in them. And with the pace that the devs are going at, hopefully we can see that SOON

Finally, I would like to point out some flaws and suggestions, that in my opinion need addressing ASAP.

-Ship controls settings. Why do they reset?! extremely annoying to fix them every time your ship spawns. Pls fix, or give us an opportunity to set controls in ship designer.
- Turnable turrets are useless. Maybe, when there are more big ships and distance of engagement is further, they will be useful, right now, with keyboard controls - totally useless. I still stand strongly by mouse controls for turntables/cradles.
- Ore colors. Honestly, my main gripe with Starbase right now. I am 100% sure. that Xhalium only took so long to find only because it looks bland. It's just a dark brownish rock! Who would ever look at it and want to mine it?! We have glowing purple, orange and blue ores? ores that glisten and gold with different colors in them! Clearly effort was put into the textures! And all of them are worthless! while all the best and most valuable ore is Dark green vomit color. Very strange aesthetic choice. Game logic always told players - if it glows - it's good. in Any MMO, any loot game, except here. In Starbase you need to squint reeeeealy hard at asteroids to see if they are dark brown, dark green, dark yellow or dark black. Just swap some textures around! Very strange choice imho.
- MIRROR TOOL. I beg you. \o/
- A liiiiiiitle bit of a roadmap. No dates, just a list of features that are planned for this month. Put a big disclaimer "May or may not come this month", but pretty please. It will give community a lot to discuss and make more suggestions
- Fix the screens on ship lots on stations! Half of them are stores! Very annoying! :D
- Refueling/Recharging/Exchange of inventory should be bumped up in priority. A lot of ship design suffers due to the lack of those features.
- And of course - credits transfer. Two friends need to be able to go for a mining trip, and spli the rewards. Right now - impossible. This is a very needed feature

Well, this is it! Hopefully i did not waste all this effort, and some use can be extracted from my experiences. So far starbase has been an amazing experience and i can not wait for it to get even better! I wish devs best of luck! And hopefully I can help the process at least a tiny bit. Here are some of the best screenshots i got while playing. Best of luck to you out there Endos!

NikofrankoV - out.

20200511234230_1.jpg

20200509044914_1.jpg

20200513213635_1.jpg

20200512012622_1.jpg

20200513202823_1.jpg

20200514233349_1.jpg

20200527031712_1.jpg

<3

Last edited:
There needs to be either a functioning cheaper ship for beginners, or a massive buff to the payouts of beginner jobs
Could be ship rental too. You can rent a hauler to the station (or to a player) if you loose it the player can get some of his credits back through insurance and for stations you can not rent ship this day/week idk if you trashed one recently.

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
Absolutely gorgeous writeup. Good job. Man I wish I could play it more often than I do, but end of year tests are a pain in the butt, so only 71 hours right now. Still haven't appeared in any screenshots made by the community, I'm a ghost!

As I said, was a great read. Thank you for making this, and see you out in the universe (or not, because you know... nobody sees me.)

Great post! A lot of my views were in this post so it’s good to see the community has a defined list of things to change/add. I agree with the ores as well, having something that glows as being the best would be nice, but having good ores as something you could skip over if you’re not watching is a good idea for balance and keeping the game exciting.

Recatek

Meat Popsicle
This reflects my take on the game almost exactly as well, especially with respect with the new player onboarding process (which I know is nowhere near final), and importance of experience factors like ship/station inventory interaction and refueling.

cranky corvid

Well-known endo
There needs to be either a functioning cheaper ship for beginners, or a massive buff to the payouts of beginner jobs, I would much rather prefer the cheap ship option.
It's definitely possible to make a much better mining ship than the Tugger for the price - I have one, actually, that I'm hoping to distribute to new testers after the next invite wave to get them out of the starting jobs faster. I can't say whether it will earn more credits than the starter jobs after the imminent economy changes (it did previously on my test runs, given I knew to look for rare ores), but at least it would be less monotonous.

The main issue with that plan (besides having to stand around in the ship design hall getting people in the group editor so they can get the blueprint) is that control bindsets for custom ships are currently bugged and have to be reselected every time you get in the seat. With mining ships, that's extremely annoying since you constantly have to get out of the seat to check out asteroids. Maybe less of an issue at the start of the next wave with the new economy, though, since every ore will be as good as any other to start with? The ship can be piloted okay-ish by moving levers with the mouse only, but if I had known that was a way it was going to be used, I definitely would've gone with a different design for the control panel.

EDIT: After further investigation, I was able to include the controls for my mining ship in a bindset created for a variant of a stock ship, working around the issue.

Last edited: