Anyone understand how YOLOL is going to work?

Jetthetank

Veteran endo
I have always wanted to get into coding, but unfortunately I have never took up the torch in learning any.
does anyone understand how the coding is going to work in this game?
Is it freeform? as in can you totally modify how your ship is going to be coded?
or will commands be somewhat hardcoded to the entities being used?

I think its completely freeform, working off YOLOL chips that can be written, to keep performance somewhat managable on a server, unfortunately there is a delay between the execution of each line

Mito

Well-known endo
I'm not the best person to answer this but i have a vague idea. Yolol is a Lua based Coding language that runs off predetermined commands and logic. On all chips (to my knowledge) the code is spread across 20 lines max of code with each line containing space for 75 characters. They are read and carried out at a speed of a line every 0.2 seconds. Yolol commands are carried across the entire energy network. There are also two types of Yolol chips. actual chips where the code is written (data cannot be stored in these but code can) and Storage chips (where data and variables are stored but not code). Regular chips can call on data in a storage chip to create more advanced functionality.

Here's the Wiki page on Yolol : OwO

Jetthetank

Veteran endo
Ahh, cool, I had forgot about the data chips.
I guess that would make things more customizable.

Ahh, cool, I had forgot about the data chips.
I guess that would make things more customizable.
and more integrated with the economy, as you can sell and buy yolol scripts, honestly will be interesting to see what whacky things people be selling

EllaFB

Community Manager
Frozenbyte
In case anyone visiting this thread has missed the YOLOL feature video:

There is also a wiki page about YOLOL, you can find it from here!

Haven't tried out YOLOL myself yet (still learning the masters of mining) but if any of you have any questions we can try to do some asking around.

DirtyBoyFrey

Also, another thing to note, for certain things using YOLOL is actually unnecessary, like setting up the door in the video above. You can directly edit the name of the fields (OpenState) to be the same name as the button's field, and any change to one will change the other.

DrunkRussianBear

Chancellor of the Argentavian Federation
I'm gonna have to learn YOLOL eventually, it looks like fun even if it isn't needed at times.

Matrixmage

Learned-to-sprint endo
Yolol is a Lua based Coding language
Nooooo! Yolol is entirely unlike Lua. XCompWiz said that once and everyone's been spouting it since... The only things Lua and Yolol have in common is using `if` and `then` for control flow. Yolol is far closer to old-school BASIC than anything else.

I'm big into helping people learn yolol, and that starts with correcting the biggest mistake FB made: telling people Yolol is like Lua :p

Aside from that, as people have said the wiki is the best place to get started. Afterwards, if you want to do more, I'd say to get your feet wet in Cylon, if you're interested.

Mito

Well-known endo
Nooooo! Yolol is entirely unlike Lua. XCompWiz said that once and everyone's been spouting it since... The only things Lua and Yolol have in common is using `if` and `then` for control flow. Yolol is far closer to old-school BASIC than anything else.

I'm big into helping people learn yolol, and that starts with correcting the biggest mistake FB made: telling people Yolol is like Lua :p

Aside from that, as people have said the wiki is the best place to get started. Afterwards, if you want to do more, I'd say to get your feet wet in Cylon, if you're interested.
Thanks for clarifying that. Hence why i put "im not the most qualified to answer this"

Matrixmage

Learned-to-sprint endo
Thanks for clarifying that. Hence why i put "im not the most qualified to answer this"
No problem :)

Sorry if I came across harsh, I've spent a lot of time dealing with the whole "Yolol is like Lua" thing so I may be slightly annoyed by it at this point...

Mito

Well-known endo
No problem :)

Sorry if I came across harsh, I've spent a lot of time dealing with the whole "Yolol is like Lua" thing so I may be slightly annoyed by it at this point...
I only really know lua (from FTD) and python from my computer science classes. Its nice that there's going to be skilled coders in the community ;)

Jetthetank

Veteran endo
Hmm, not familiar with BASIC, but then again, I am very mush a layman when it comes to coding unfortunately.