Connections with sockets.

J.D.

Veteran endo
So, I have this plate laying down flat. I want to place a socket on the bottom of the plate, and on the top to give a cable connection through the plate, to power a hinge directly on top of that. Im trying to do this to be able to make repairs easier in world. because making that connection during repairs manually would be a terrible hassle. But, i dont think it works. unless i dont understand how. Do any of you have experience with this?

Womble

Veteran endo
Are you using the Socket Tool? I've had that work perfectly well on beams. Even the long axis...

Other than that, cable and pipe can interpenetrate most components, beams and plates when you lay it, so you can make the plate "untouchable and invisible" (for ease of seeing and clicking; it should work without if you can maneuver the camera and get the cursor in the right place), join the socket on the hinge to wherever you're feeding it from, and the cable will run through the plate.

J.D.

Veteran endo
Are you using the Socket Tool? I've had that work perfectly well on beams. Even the long axis...

Other than that, cable and pipe can interpenetrate most components, beams and plates when you lay it, so you can make the plate "untouchable and invisible" (for ease of seeing and clicking; it should work without if you can maneuver the camera and get the cursor in the right place), join the socket on the hinge to wherever you're feeding it from, and the cable will run through the plate.
does the socket need to meet the hinge in a certain place? as in, is there a spot on the hinge i need to line it up perfectly with?

Womble

Veteran endo
does the socket need to meet the hinge in a certain place? as in, is there a spot on the hinge i need to line it up perfectly with?
The socket is just a socket. It might not be the best solution for your case, as I believe it adds a thin element to the surface that may interfere with the placement of other elements. I'd just run a cable "through" the plate. It's nigh-impossible to fix if it breaks, but that's true of many things that allow fancy flourishes :)