Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Cosmetics available for limited period using real money

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Other, write a reply.

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Maim

Endokid
Based on the screenshot on the roadmap, it appears that player model and weapon skins / cosmetics will be available soon.
What types of cosmetics will Starbase go for?

• Will it just be in game cosmetics for Credits?
  • Untradable and locked to your account like Fortnite / Apex.
  • Gambling related case opening skins like CS:GO. (Tradable / Marketable)
  • Limited time and tradable/marketable skins like Rust. (Personally my favorite way of doing paid cosmetics)
(The way it works in Rust: Items are available for a week in the store, then they never get re-released. Items can be sold on the market, only way to get the item is to purchase from others players, so players decide the value and price of the item.)

Cosmetics / skins is probably the best way to keep funding the game, while keeping the players interested and boosting the popularity of the game (as it famously did with CS:GO).

What do we know thus far, do we have any information on the topic?

With an active player base of 300 whats the point? How about fix the broken crap before adding more new broken crap?

ChaosRifle

Veteran endo
Lauri has already stated they wont be going for predatory lootbox's if memory serves, he seemed very against them and called them out in a previous reply to this question on the forums here somewhere.

We know it is for real money to fund their servers, and Lauri has stated "the best cosmetics will be available to earn ingame", though best is subjective. Seems they want it to be opt in rather than mandatory to look good.

Last edited:

Maim

Endokid
With an active player base of 300 whats the point? How about fix the broken crap before adding more new broken crap?
Cosmetics / skins can save a game with low population. Limited time period skins makes people feel invested in the success of the game. Cosmetics / skins also won't alter any gameplay, just visual changes.

Maim

Endokid
Lauri has already stated they wont be going for predatory lootbox's if memory serves, he seemed very against them and called them out in a previous reply to this question on the forums here somewhere.

We know it is for real money to fund their servers, and Lauri has stated "the best cosmetics will be available to earn ingame", though best is subjective. Seems they want it to be opt in rather than mandatory to look good.
It's fair to be against predatory lootboxes. Personally I think selling locked cosmetics for real money is equally as predatory. I hope it's similar to how Rust is doing skins, the only correct way.

ChaosRifle

Veteran endo
cosmetics have been said by lauri to be obtainable ingame for the best ones (though thats subjective), and money would be a shortcut.

ZombieMouse

Well-known endo
the only correct way
Taking this approach is setting oneself up for a lot of arguments and/or potentially disappointment.

I was talking about this with some guys a few days ago and there seem to be a lot of different views. One guy thought that FB should really sell decorative ship parts for the simple reason that it works for Space Engineers.

Personally I'd like to see everything obtainable in game for credits, but I think FB should charge real money for premium paint cans - huge variety of regular shades, metallic paints, textured paints etc. I'd also like to see some colours only available on some stations, to give an additional reason to go places. If premium paint can items could be used up by printing ships from the SSC then many people would go through hundreds or even thousands of them and FB could make good money even if they were only priced at 10 cents each.

Obviously I also think everything in game should be paintable, including armour. Things that are currently semi-paintable like guns should also show up in the painted colours when equipped.