Dev & Player Created: Enclosed Gamified locations/bases?

Keep in mind- this is just a idea that i'm on the fence as well with but i think it's a interesting topic to bring up.
(Forgive me if a thread has already been created for this topic)

What i keep thinking about is how much i want to break into the ground first person shooting, Or using the ships for actual racing or maybe even interesting platforming challenges by switching gravity on or off in these enclosed areas.
Of course you've got a bunch of issues that i'm thinking of such as:

(Q:1)Wont that sort of take away from players naturally provoking each other in the rest of the universe as it might normally would?
(A:1)I'm talking about a place where people can practice and hone their skills in combat, And fighting people in a level playing field.
I think most small scale battles will happen as surprise offensive attacks and the defensive side focusing on protecting your stuff and less on practicing combat it's self.

(Q:2)Doesn't this kind of mess with the formula that the game is going for? Such as the idea of players exploring the universe for this kind of thing.
(A:2)Well that's why im thinking about it as actual created locations within the universe it's self. The players would be given the same tools using the YOLOL programming language to set the parameters, Game rules and overall arena boundary box size.
A follow up idea being that StarBase could be something more inviting for competitive players, into a game that would potentially invite them into a larger game they grow into investing and wanting to explore themselves.
These arenas could also be places for other players entertainment to observe and be a draw for shops or locations being built around these areas.

(Q:3)Enclosed ship racing seams like it would have to take up large areas, Also what about balancing?
(A:3)They would have to be their own larger sections (Depending on what size works best), That could be built near or outside of the city themself.
It's something i'd like to personally do within the game, But the idea works more for "More purposes to design different types of ships"
As far as balancing there are two ways that this could be done.
(1)You build premade ships for selection OR (2)You give players parts allowances for player created ships.

(Q:4)Platforming challenges?
(A:4)Well what seams to be a cool opportunity is using the ingame switch/gravity floor mechanic for players to use to get across player designed levels and platforms.
Of course you could do things like once a player has jumped, They can't change their gravity direction ect ect.

(Q:5)What about rewards for winning in these arenas?
(A:5)What could be neat is these rewards could be provided by the creators themselves. You could consider this as another type of 'job' for players if they are looking to head into something directly that is more action focused. As well hosting their own shops near these places.
OR you could even have Dev arenas or Dev approved arenas that give out rewards equal to that of doing any other job in the game.

The main point i want to bring is that these would be actual places created in the world it's self and not some sort of match making system or separate game mode actually. What i'm thinking about are reasons for players to travel the universe and go to these locations to socialize among other players that have common interests.
There's a also a lot of potential of players getting hired into factions based off of their skills that they can show in these arenas. Or heck even making profits on some kind of tournaments.

And to be absolutely clear, I do not want these kinds of ideas taking what Starbase can really offer in it's creative and exploration aspects.
In my opinion these ideas are to benefit and promote both sides of the game.

Those ideas being it's Creativity/Exploration of the vast ingame world and it's Competitive/Social aspects being served for fun purposes and to bring more players together.

Last edited:

Recatek

Meat Popsicle
If the rented lot permissions system gives you the power to do so, I can very easily see people setting up gladiatorial-style FPS arenas in larger megastation lots. Racing too is something I know people are already interested in establishing leagues for. I'd be curious to see what the players want to do and manage to do without dev help first, and then find ways for the devs to provide tools for making these things even better.

riley

Learned-to-sprint endo
If the rented lot permissions system gives you the power to do so, I can very easily see people setting up gladiatorial-style FPS arenas in larger megastation lots. Racing too is something I know people are already interested in establishing leagues for. I'd be curious to see what the players want to do and manage to do without dev help first, and then find ways for the devs to provide tools for making these things even better.
Haha do you think we could we see wipeout-like racing with what is in the game?