For the love of Bob please move the Starbase Channel in Discord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is the game suggestion but my suggestion if nevertheless about starbase and his community on discord. As most of you know there is a neverending debate of keeping the Starbase channel just starbase related because 80% of the time people are not talking about Starbase in this channel. This happens so often that it is impossible to enforce this rule and I will explain why the community is having more offtopic discussion in the Starbase Channel than in General-Chat.
When you enter the server the order of the channelgroups are as follows: Information, Starbase, Discussion.
1568140853596.png

Since in the Informationgroup nobody can post something the first channels a user is seeing are the Starbase Channels. This circumstances primes the users to look first in the Starbase Channels and subsequently talk in them.
Priming is a technique whereby exposure to one stimulus influences a response to a subsequent stimulus, without conscious guidance or intention. This technique is used by psychologist for several experiments and advertisment.

So my proposal is simply to move the discussion channels on top of the Starbase Channels. User will be primed to speak more in these channels than in starbase and the offtopic will decrease.

I personally can not see that anymore that people are getting on each throats because of that and I am 100% sure that this solution will work. If not the admins can easily reverse it.

That wouldn't help too much, most people probably see the rules and decide not to follow them because they'd like to talk to someone they saw there without bothering to ping them in general chat ,the only solution to people not respecting the rules is constant and consistent moderation.

Last edited:
People are not doing that conciously. Nobody is thinking:" Hey that is the Starbase Chat, lets break the rules and speak offtopic".

I would even go so far as to say that you don't even notice the name of the channel but just click on it because it is active and comes first in the order.
Again, no matter how often you moderate it, it will come to offtopic because the behavior is not intentional. There is nothing against trying it for a week. If it doesn't help, you can always reverse it. There are no disadvantages not to try.

ElluFB

Forever locked into The Pool
Frozenbyte
We'll discuss this matter with the other community team members, and see what could be done. The idea of changing the order of the channels could be something to consider :)

It's not necessarily that people want to break the rules for the sake of breaking the rules it's just that in the absence of moderation it's way easier to ignore the rules and let discussion go off topic ,in my opinion the people that don't have the presence of mind to do basic stuff like read the description of the chat won't bother to go into the general chat they'll just keep talking there since nothing is stopping them ,I think the solution is a bit more moderation and a clearer chat title.

Matrixmage

Learned-to-sprint endo
There's not more to discuss here. Prayer's suggestion came to pass and may help in the long run. Either way, I think it's a good thing to have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.