Input lag when using another players ship.

I'm sure others have noticed this, not sure how frequently it's talked about. But I have been doing testing with my small company using mouse aimed turrets/moveable turrets. On a small fighter I have used it to great success as it's used by the ship owner. But when testing a larger ship owned by a player who is not your self input lag seemingly makes it almost impossible to use turrets.

I was curious if this is an issue other people have had and if it's a large spread issue is a fix being worked on for it, this really kills the potential for anything outside of a fighter meta or just relying on Tripods (But then the thing is, tripods work, so could turrets be like those?)

Last edited:

Kenetor

Master endo
yes this is a by product of the peer to peer network, as your friend who owns the ship hosts the ship, his computer does all the calculation for the physics which includes movement.
so your control inputs are first inputed on your computer, read by the game, sent to your friend, then applied to the ship, the result is then sent back to your computer and rendered to show whats happening. this input lag is unavoidable in control of a ship.

There are some settings to to help with his, like making it so the game doesn't force host of a ship to the ship owner, and then giving you access to spawn the ship, if you are the pilot then you should spawn it and then you will be the host of the ship.

This is why the old turrets were replaced by the tripods for now with the new ball turrets using the tripod tech is coming later.
But no solutions have been brought forward on how they will solve this for flying the ship.

Another effect of the hosting system is that say you were being attacked, if the host of the ship dies, the whole ship will vanish for a second, change to low LOD mode and then back to full detail as the ship switches host. this is another problem Frozenbyte has to solve for fluid large scale combat with multi crew ships, as well as other old config issues.

Certainly poses some issues that seem kind of concerning. Hopefully it can be worked on, but for now I will pass the word on that we will have to wait for these "ball" turrets. Unfortunate but I suppose tripods will have to do in the mean time.