Network and beams

Mur

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Because of the limitations of how current ducts work and how the grooves with beams it is often difficult to design a fully networked ship, its hard to get into side pieces that are a square and you need to build up a network layer on layer to bridge the gap which causes other design issues.

I suggest instead of needing to place network into existing beams I think that beams by default should be designed that they carry a network signal inside where the duct should go. This means that you could considerably lower the amount of parts and bolts needed to be inside a ship and open the design to more complexity while also lowering the time to design ships. The existing ducts can still have a place to use outside of beams such as on plates or to connect multiple generators.

In my opinion the complexity of a ship should be from its design and not from parts being finicky in how they are put together.

Attachments

Womble

Veteran endo
And dumbing down the creation of resource and data networks to the point of irrelevance. Combining cables and pipes with ducts isn't "difficult"; deciding where to allocate your network build budget and the bolts needed to stop it springing apart under stress is more of a challenge.

Networking should not just "be there by default", any more than engines or controls should be.

You are rigtht! Though there is one gret thing in this idea. Having beams with pre-installed ducts would save much time when designiong ships.
But it's possible to implement such a thing by creating modules for each beam + duct combiantion. Sadly, the 45deg, 30deg and onther non-90deg ducts are missing. I hope that they'll intorduce ducts for each beam type in time.