Server Locations

Vloshko

Well-known endo
I couldn't find any about where the servers will be located. I checked the Wiki, FAQ, and looked on discord for a bit.

Matrixmage

Learned-to-sprint endo
Starbase uses a fancy hybrid peer-to-peer networking system. So there's no real "server location" as with other games. The server location is simply wherever the players are.

Kimsemus

Well-known endo
Starbase uses a fancy hybrid peer-to-peer networking system. So there's no real "server location" as with other games. The server location is simply wherever the players are.
This isn't entirely accurate.

The MMO servers are still a dedicated host, and they have to be located somewhere. Hopefully with datacenters on NA, EU, and maybe Oceania for our friends there.

The devs have already said the game isn't purely hosted on a p2p system. However, if it turns out what you say is true, then it'll take about 20 minutes for hackers to take the game apart lol.

That does not sound great at all because they can probably intercept and change the data wich would mess up the whole experience. It will be filled with hackers in no time. hope the devs got a solution for that.

The MMO servers are still a dedicated host, and they have to be located somewhere. Hopefully with datacenters on NA, EU, and maybe Oceania for our friends there.

The devs have already said the game isn't purely hosted on a p2p system. However, if it turns out what you say is true, then it'll take about 20 minutes for hackers to take the game apart lol.

dusty

As far as I'm aware, it is. While Frozenbyte has a scalable server solution if needed, the majority (if not all) of simulation is handled client-side by the owner of object, or otherwise the 'next best' client, which is then passed on to its peers. It would be entirely infeasible for them to perform all the calculations of their playerbase server-side.

That being said, there are numerous servers used in the upkeep of the game: security/authentications, matchmaking, derelicts, ship storage, etc. These may well be on a CDN and span numerous data centers.

As far as I'm aware, it is. While Frozenbyte has a scalable server solution if needed, the majority (if not all) of simulation is handled client-side by the owner of object, or otherwise the 'next best' client, which is then passed on to its peers. It would be entirely infeasible for them to perform all the calculations of their playerbase server-side.
stormworks build and rescue did a same kind of thing and it completely de-synced. I hope they have a good solution for this but they tested it with devs and worked fine I guess.
That being said, there are numerous servers used in the upkeep of the game: security/authentications, matchmaking, derelicts, ship storage, etc. These may well be on a CDN and span numerous data centers.