Set the stations, moons, etc on a loose 2D plane with a lattice of nodes as the basis for the galaxy.

Imagine a 2D plane in all directions. Then imagine a uniformly distributed set of nodes, some above and below the plane by a random few thousand kilometers. Moons and safe stations would be placed above or below the plane also. Now imagine a lattice of 3+ connections between the nodes and their closest other nodes forming a large network in all directions with asteroid belts and various space phenomenon between them.

I'd propose using this kind of galaxy design as it accommodates 2D map rendering. (In a strict 2D view none of the nodes would overlap even if they were somewhat far away from the plane). It's also easy to think about when plotting courses or having faction boundaries or war mechanics later as you'd have a lattice that could be used for fronts or territory mechanics. The idea is this would form a flexible system for things like player bases positioned on node points. Also nodes could be created that are say special areas/phenomenon between stations.

You're probably thinking, wouldn't a 3D lattice be cooler though and be more dynamic, and also we could use 3D maps? Probably, it's more of a personal preference. Seeing a clear horizon with a general up/down plane is nice to me and fits my view that space is flat.

I'm not suggesting a hard ceiling or floor to the game world, but I kind of also support that if the game adds nebulas, thick asteroid belts, plasma storms, or other traversal mechanics or special areas that block say warp/jump drive systems later.

2duniverse.png

Last edited:
I think as a 3D holographic map it would look cool. And it could show where in the universe you are as well so you can meet up with other players more easily. I think having a holographic table you needed to place inside your ship would be a good way to implement it.

XenoCow

Master endo
Maybe a medium between a fully 3D map and your style of map could exist. There could be a 3D map that can be viewed as cross-sections that run parallel to the orbital horizon.

Most people would only bother looking at the one inline with the rings because that's where the action is happening, but there would be more layers as well for the outlying stations and points of interest.