Small, private server option

Some sci-fi/engineering games (e.g. Space Engineers) offer dedicated server options that server admins can self-host to support small numbers of whitelisted players in a more PVE/tech tree exploring gameplay style. This would be very desirable for many of the gamers I associate with. Something similar could be achieved with 'safe zones' in a larger MMP environment, but dedicated, especially self-hosted, whitelist-able servers are far more desirable. In Space Engineers, dedicated self-hosted servers use Steam group ID's as the whitelisting mechanism. I have a small group of gamer friends who would be more interested in Starbase if a more isolated, self-paced option were available.

Some sci-fi/engineering games (e.g. Space Engineers) offer dedicated server options that server admins can self-host to support small numbers of whitelisted players in a more PVE/tech tree exploring gameplay style. This would be very desirable for many of the gamers I associate with. Something similar could be achieved with 'safe zones' in a larger MMP environment, but dedicated, especially self-hosted, whitelist-able servers are far more desirable. In Space Engineers, dedicated self-hosted servers use Steam group ID's as the whitelisting mechanism. I have a small group of gamer friends who would be more interested in Starbase if a more isolated, self-paced option were available.
If you wanted an isolated area in Starbase, you could build a station far out and do whatever you want there. Some uses for that station would be a fuel stop, rescue station, a mining station, or an intermediate highway piece. As far as I know, FB will keep it to just this one universe, and not have private servers that are separate, but you can isolate yourself in the huge universe.