Starbase Progress Notes: Week 26 (2021)

AuraFB

Community Manager
Frozenbyte
Starbase Progress Notes: Week 26 (2021)
June 28th - July 2nd

Hello everyone, here are the progress notes of the week 26 of 2021!

Please note that the "Progress Notes" are different from the Starbase Alpha "Patch Notes". Progress Notes are snippets from the development team and what has been worked on during the previous week, and many of the features might not be present in the current or upcoming builds of the Closed Alpha. Some features, especially in the design portion, can be subject to change as the development continues.

Design

Features
  • Improvements were designed for the Fast Travel Gate Core
  • Work on the new block module production and testing with the Easy Build Mode for stations continues
  • Design for integrating Easy Build mode with moon base building has been started
  • Design for the first phase of moon mining (acquiring surface materials) has been completed
  • Work on moon material distribution continues
  • Work on the ship checklist for the Spaceship Designer continues
Other
  • Improvements to tutorials, guides and hints have been worked on
  • Improvements to the Feedback Tool and how screenshots are shown and selected in it have been worked on

Code

Gameplay
  • A bug in looped sounds management was fixed, hopefully reducing cases of random "wrong" sound loops being played
  • Fixed constant Durability recalculations (flickering in Spaceship Designer, for example) in certain cases
  • Fixed the general Durability UI behavior in Spaceship Designer (there was a lot of apparent randomness). Durability error boxes are now also dimmed while they cannot be selected.
  • Fixed a bug with tripod weapon jittering
  • Tweaked Center of Mass & Center of Thrust visualizations in Spaceship Designer, the latter now being limited to selected thrusters when there's a selection
User Interface
  • Offline players' Company, Job and Rank info is now shown in the Social menu
  • Work on Station Access user interface continues
In-game Designers
  • Fixed a bug that prevented durability and transform tool gizmo visualization from rendering after the first visit to Spaceship Designer per program run
Other
  • Added the TravelCoreAssembled status field to Fast Travel Cores

Art

Animations and Emotes
  • Unarmed falling, fly and landing animations have been improved
  • Jump animations have been improved
Other
  • Further performance improvements for multiple Remote Explosive VFX
  • Various electricity particle textures tested

Videos

As always, feel free to ask any questions regarding these progress notes!
And if you haven't yet, go add Starbase to your Steam wishlist!

Last edited:

Kenetor

Master endo
hell yeah! explosions, new effects and SSC bug fixes, that durability tool flickering has been a pain in my shiny metal @$$!

Last edited:

fr4me01

Active endo
Everytime you guys mention Easy Build Mode my excitement to buy and play this game dies. I have Space Engineers already. I am not buying ANOTHER.

The fact Stations and now Moon Bases look like they're going to be EBM only just reinforce what I said at the very start of this EBM bull. "If you start developing a second way to build everything eventually one will win out at the expense of the other" Now we have lego stations and moon bases you can't customize. Great!

Why make them "modular" at all? Just make Station and Base Blueprints for us to buy! That's the growing trend.

Boring.

sweer

Active endo
Everytime you guys mention Easy Build Mode my excitement to buy and play this game dies. I have Space Engineers already. I am not buying ANOTHER.

The fact Stations and now Moon Bases look like they're going to be EBM only just reinforce what I said at the very start of this EBM bull. "If you start developing a second way to build everything eventually one will win out at the expense of the other" Now we have lego stations and moon bases you can't customize. Great!

Why make them "modular" at all? Just make Station and Base Blueprints for us to buy! That's the growing trend.

Boring.

Yeah I mean both of them have very different purposes though, easy build mode is for people who arnt super familar with ssc or maybe dont have time to learn it, and the ssc is for people who dont want their ship to look like blocks, but instead like an actual ship

(RU) здравствуйте, а в этом месяце возможно попасть на тест? или уже только ждать выхода игры в открытый доступ?
(EU) hello, is it possible to take the test this month? or just wait for the game to go public?

(RU) здравствуйте, а в этом месяце возможно попасть на тест? или уже только ждать выхода игры в открытый доступ?
(EU) hello, is it possible to take the test this month? or just wait for the game to go public?
Access to closed alpha is given out to a number of people who have signed up using the form available on the Starbase discord. Although there will be some more invites before the game releases into early access, people who have been around for a while tend to get prioritised.
TL;DR you can sign up for a closed alpha key, but you're unlikely to get one before early access happens anyway