Starbase Progress Reset

Hello, I was wondering when the full 1.0 version of Starbase releases. if all player data will be reset as well s the universe.
Thanks in advance.

ChaosRifle

Veteran endo
their plan is no, however they are open to it if nessisary.

I personally think it would be cool to have a soft wipe, where all assets are removed (caps, stations, money, ships), but corps keep their members and rep etc. so you have corps pushing for power fighting with nothing from day one, with full mechanics implemented.

Geronimo553

Well-known endo
At this point, I honestly believe the game needs a reset. Not a revolving reoccurring reset every so often. Just one, one universe wide reset, to give a future new economy system and the game itself a second chance to grow. The public debut was a train wreck across the board. If anything the debut was only positive for stress test analytics. So reset everything except blueprints. Try doing this again the right way. That includes a reset of the ban list that has become a hot topic of concern among the playerbase. Reset everything back to day one. Scrap this horrid economy system, go back to the CA tutorial job system, tear out the progression grind system by removing it entirely. Turn starbase back into the MMO space building sandbox players wanted to find the first time. Like the game we enjoyed in CA. Then be more apparent on the main menu about rules. Hopefully that will breath some new life back into what this became. Yes people are going to lose progress and time. However it is better to do it now soon, as to, lose a few months of work with a small active playerbase of 400. Than rather, to do it, later down the line after many months of greater player progress and committed time as the community expands. It is still early, as every idealist of the game keeps shouting, so now is the best time to take such bold action. Before such a choice could massively damage countless things for everyone in the future.

Also yes this is a general summary and not complete list of problems and solutions. If FB wants to hear a more detailed analysis, then they know where to contact me.

Last edited:

mikan

Well-known endo
As a solo player, I prefer to start from a different station than the new player's starting point, rather than resetting. This game is under development, so I think it will be completely reset when the official service starts. Still, I'd be happy if it wasn't reset.

Last edited:

Kenetor

Master endo
as chaos correctly mentioned the devs do not want to wipe at all from now on, but I also feel that it could be both fun and a new experience to have a reset for the launch of 1.0, it would give the opportunity for people to come back fresh without feeling left behind, give those who really had a bad experience the first time around the best second chance they could ever get.
content-wise there should be WAAAY more things from the get-go meaning people could continuously play for some time with conflict sparking up from day 1 that has the chance to continue instead of fizzle out.
now there will be some people that would HATE to lose their progress after 2 or 3 years, and that's completely understandable.

At the end of the day, I think its both too far away to speculate and something the community should be polled on at a later date. overall I think it could do more good for the game than bad, but I'm interesting in hearing more opinions on the matter

Venombrew

Master endo
i doubt there will be a full wipe, BUT! because this game is more or less about 15% intro progress, we got probably a good 2 years to go, and in that meantime being this early in development, we may see small wipes to adjust for adding and removal of features which is extremely common at this stage, but i wouldn't see a large wipe happening.

Askannon

Veteran endo
Personally I hope that before any possible wipe happens that any and all ships currently owned and/or assigned were turned into blueprints first as I have one main ship that I tinker with again and again and currently that would mean I would (in addition to the ressources) have to do about 2 months of tinkering again and I'm sure there are people that do the same with theirs while others just print the same blueprints as needed and would not be as impacted by it unless the possible wipe includes invalidating all blueprints as well,.

I have no problem loosing my ships to gameplay, but a wipe to all that was build would be a bit cruel to the few that still play and report bugs.
And while I understand people wanting to gain a foothold by equalizing the playing field I do hope the pioneer advantage doesn't get removed (/reduced to knowledge) as the game is grindy enough already an.

This is an opinion. It is ok to differ :b

I've seen a lot of posts about this, and it seems many of the players advocating for a full wipe have been playing since CA. I thought I'd give the perspective of someone who started about a week after EA release. I play every day, and I'm not yet rich, and its not yet boring because I still can't buy anything I want. I still have to plan to build a ship to get the resources to fund the ship I really want. That game loop hasn't run out for me, yet. It would be devastating at this point if a wipe happened tomorrow because of all the projects I have in progress, working my way out of the gutter. If a reset happened tomorrow, I probably wouldn't restart and I'd move on to another game, out of frustration. Which is saying a lot because I LOVE this game! It'd be like a ship despawn bug, but for everything I have, and no chance of a ship refund. That said, I've been endgame in other games like this and understand the boring-ness of having it all. So maybe an option for individual players to reset themselves might provide them a way to reinvigorate their own experience without deleting everyone else's stuff? Or some philanthropy option for rich/bored players to make the prince and pauper switch while providing community benefit?

Another thought I had--one of the benefits of starting when I did a couple months ago, was that there were people who were rich enough already to to not want to bother mining junk ores for themselves--which means I could profit even on Bastium and Vokarium, as a noob. Not a lot, but enough so I could make my way in the SZ before the asteroid resets, while Charodium was still scarce. I think having established entities/endos already, at the full launch, could provide that "its already a world" feeling. In the event of a full wipe, the AH would be useless until some folks rebuild their wealth to the point where they aren't willing to mine the menial stuff anymore. Also, without a wipe, any community projects would be preserved and have a history to them. I've been involved with some folks wanting to set up a racing league, and others setting up trade routes. Having those kinds of things already in-game at launch I think would provide needed atmosphere to make the world feel more lived-in. Even if they're abandoned by that point.

One last thing--if at 1.0 there is a mass influx of new players, I think the economy would be effectively restarted, even without wiping the relatively few players still active, as we'd be a tiny fraction of the economic participants at that point. So I'm not sure a wipe would be necessary to get the economic level playing field for new players. What's a few rich CEO's really mean, economically, for the massive influx of noobs? I don't think much. . .at least if there are a couple orders of magnitude more new players than old hold-overs from EA.

Anyway, these are my opinions and perspective and I'm always curious to hear other's views. Who knows, by the time this matters, I may have completely switched camps!

Kenetor

Master endo
@Rekiat when we talk about a wipe for 1.0, that's coming in like 1-3 years time, there will certainly not be a wipe any time soon and that's for CERTAIN

Haha, yeah, I know and I think that's a good thing. I'm excited to figure out how to use and do all the new awesome stuff they're gonna add in that 1-3 years, for sure! I was using the possibility of a wipe tomorrow, to explore how that would affect a newer player at that time, like I am now. Thanks for clarifying that that's not what we're actually talking about, though. I don't want to accidentally start a nasty rumor :)

Seat-Weld

Learned-to-sprint endo
Wipes are probably inevitable just due to the scope and scale of the game. I'd imagine if it happens that certain aspects of the game get overhauled or otherwise changed/removed, wiping might end up being a necessity for various reasons. While the devs have said they do not specifically plan to wipe if they can help it, there is always the chance for unexpected developments to crop up.

It IS still a game in an obvious alpha state. I wouldn't get super attached to anything until much later in the game's development, just as a rule of thumb.