Territory map / astrometrics terminal

Caddrel

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
One part I really love about Starbase is the freedom to explore and fly anywhere. I've held off going out to further destinations and moons until warp travel is available (I'd like to take a base ship along with me), but even the immediate areas around Origin and the warp gate moon

One part of EVE which has inspired huge player engagement (and you can see this also in New World) is the territory map. There's something about seeing someone else's colour on a map that really motivates people to change that territory to their colour. Who knows why. This happens even if there is no real material advantage to doing so.

Part of what has kept EVE going all these years, and specifically all these huge organisations within EVE, is that people feel they're part of a wider story. They're able to imagine themselves as part of a narrative. They're not just randomly carting binary 0s and 1s around, stored on a server somewhere. They're transporting crucial supplies for the defense of their home against an enemy their alliance has been fighting (in various forms) for the past fifteen years.

Having organisations able being to mark space as theirs, visible globally to other players, is one small part of developing that narrative.

I'd imagine this could be shown via an in-game device. A table with a 3D map above that could be manipulated via in-game controls. Perhaps larger versions would be available that could fill entire rooms with 3D representations of the galaxy.

Different information could be overlaid on that map using the controls. Some of it would be global (available to all players automatically), whereas other information would have to be acquired and then loaded in.

Some example of local/acquired information:

* Player scouted waypoints and hidden locations
* Locations of allied ships and other tracked ships
* Player scouted stations
* Flight paths of warp-capable ships
* Travel paths of scouted warp gates

I feel it's very important that this all happens in-game, via an interactable item. Viewing the map should be a shared experience with other players, and not hidden away in a submenu of the UI. It should be a place you have to go to, and would also be a specific feature that you might want to have on your station or ship that would be designed in. Being able to buy/sell/steal/destroy the location information would also be a bonus to the game.