Turret Control like on the Zeppelin or the Submarine

Hi everybody,

does anybody know how the turret control on the Zeppelin or the Submarine works? There is not even a custom control scheme configured (v).
Is there a yolol script running?

If found the levers but I don't get it to be so direct and precise.

Update:
Some Turrets work even without levers. HOW?

Last edited:

OLO

Endokid
short answer on this, those are not correct examples of turrets, turrets normally do not move that quickly when you have guns/chair/controls on them. So their essentially CA fluff.

Longer answer, with gleaned opinions, talking to folks from CA turrets in their current state are more meant for targeting larger ships, as they are right now with their slow movement, and even buggy response time(I went through easily 10 hours of testing with turrets to get them to respond at the same speed as the shop turrets, not quick enough to fire at mid-small sized ships moving at 100M/s+ you could prolly land some shots with timing, but trying to track them? Ya good luck, and its not so much the speed that's the problem, its the:

1. Delay in response to inputs.
2. Sticky inputs, i.e. move it right for 1 second, and it continues to move to the right for a second or 2 after you stopped using the controls.
3. prone to getting stuck on non-existent geometry, or even itself, I just rotating vertically in a circle and it ground to a halt at the base and remained stuck their attempting to turn long after I got out of the seat.

You do not see allot of examples of these turrets near origin or the moon belt, because few have figured out how to make them work, outside of the larger groups. If they have even worked out how to do it, which is why you see such prolific usage of the tripod guns, as their the only real means of crew served weapons at this time.

Keep in mind that this entire outlook comes from being a non-CA player, as I fundamentally believe that this issue, much like getting thrusters to work is an experience gap. As the system is so inherently vague, and obtuse at times, its hard to parse the difference between something not working because I did it wrong, or something not working because its currently broken/buggy.

This is not an indictment of the game, comparing this game to DU, I find that this game is superior in that the actual risk vs reward dynamic is at play, however, DU at its core had a better building system(not voxel based, voxel is trash) as far as tools too tell you everything about your build.

Lastly this community is either too busy working things out, or not interested in passing on information, weather it be the wiki which is wrong in so many ways I find it to be useless as a tool, or plain just missing items that are clearly in the game. To a general lack of information on how things work. Just google turrets, the only video that exclusively deals with them is over a year old, you can try watching streams, or ship build videos, but all of those require an inherent understanding of the systems themselves to make any use of them.

Again, I know this is coming off as pretty judgmental criticism, I think the game is good, its just missing a massive amount of QOL that's needed if you ever expect to be bigger then 10k players. I also apologize for dumping my frustration at the game on your post @WildChild85, I just know what it was like to blow multiple hours of effort on turrets, to at the end find out that the examples BEING SHOWN TO US were not intended functionality.

Then I don't have a solution that is as perfect as on these ships, but I have a relatively good solution. I will publish it when I am done.

OLO

Endokid
the best solution I've seen is by volume of fire, I.E. larger ships just slaving 4 turrets together. However this isnt really an option for smaller sub 4k ton builds, and with the limits on bolts/voxels larger ships seem like a waste of effort and resources. You could build a bunchf of densly armoed medium ships and have way more effective combat power then trying to get a bunch of folks into one heavily armored gunship, also heavily armored is assuming you don't reach the hard limits first. I think it might be doable in the 6-8k ton range, but thats a guess, as I've been working in the 2500-3500 range, to keep it afforadable and stiff fast.

Womble

Veteran endo
the best solution I've seen is by volume of fire, I.E. larger ships just slaving 4 turrets together. However this isnt really an option for smaller sub 4k ton builds, and with the limits on bolts/voxels larger ships seem like a waste of effort and resources. You could build a bunchf of densly armoed medium ships and have way more effective combat power then trying to get a bunch of folks into one heavily armored gunship, also heavily armored is assuming you don't reach the hard limits first. I think it might be doable in the 6-8k ton range, but thats a guess, as I've been working in the 2500-3500 range, to keep it afforadable and stiff fast.
I have a suspicion that this is entirely intentional, given the "feel" the developers are shooting for. Big, multi-turreted battleships hurling walls of fire at each other while agile single-seaters flit about dogfighting each other at knife-fighting range.